Author Topic: What makes America great?  (Read 576 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
What makes America great?
« on: September 07, 2016, 05:12:45 pm »
Exactly as the thread title says, What makes America great? I often see, hear, and read from time to time this question, and so many people get it wrong.  :P So I'm curious to ask Furtopians here, what do you think makes America great?
Click link below for more fursuit information. ;)
http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk's-fursuit-guides/

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
Re: What makes America great?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:19:59 pm »
Because it's 'Murica, nough said. :D

All jokes aside, what is great about this countries is the fact we have something called a Bill of Rights that some really smart educated people decided that people ought to have back in 1791.  Freedoms should never be taken for granted because you'll miss them when they're gone.  If you live in the United States, you are guaranteed freedoms that people in some other countries that didn't ask to be born on those countries might have to plod on without.  Go to any country with a dictatorship or perhaps martial law where these rights such as the freedom to speak without fear of being arrested (within reasonable limits), freedom to report on government, the right to assemble, the right of protection against unreasonable searches without a warrant, these are things some people wish they simply could have and live under.  Sadly this is not the case.  If you're fortunate enough to live in the United States and be a citizen of the country, that is what makes America great.  There are other things I appreciate naturally, but starting with the Bill of Rights, nothing else I could list would likely be possible. ;)
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:48:35 pm »
If you live in the United States, you are guaranteed freedoms....

Actually, this is wrong. Yes, we do have various freedoms as outlined in the Bill of Rights, Constitution, etc.  But they are not 100% "guaranteed". In order to keep having our freedoms for the past 200+ years as well as continuing to have our freedoms for future years to come, the American people have had to strike, protest, revolt, hire lawyers, go to court, sit ins, marches, and so much more in order to continue guaranteeing us our rights.

Rights and freedoms are not guaranteed. They have to be continuously fought for and/or earned. ;)

As an old saying goes: "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:57:02 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:01:02 pm »
Our generousity. When there's a disaster across the globe, it's often the US providing relief services. You don't often hear of other nations providing aid to our earthquake or flood victims. We tend to take care of our own. I know people who are willing to self-deploy to such areas, but are prohibited from doing so.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:27:30 pm by Rocket T. Coyote »
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Holt5

• Species: Artistic theologian-philosopher
  • Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 05:42:14 am »
I don't think that's a question that can be properly answered with just one thing. We have freedom as we envisage freedom, but more specifically we represent a platform on which people may establish their freedoms without the need for violence (usually), whilst still being required to put their greatest efforts into obtaining what they're after.  It's a format that helps in guaranteeing a constant intake and turnover of ideals, allowing the nation to thrive upon inevitable "chaos".

Of course just like any system there are flaws and corrupting elements, but essentially all of that revolves around our own willingness to take what we give, and vice versa. The only reason we have corrupt politicians is because we have a corrupt people - but a people that can turn itself around with an appropriate effort when it gets too uncomfortable with that in any case.

Another thing that makes America great is the fact that it is essentially a melting pot of the world as a whole. You can probably find native peoples from every other nation on Earth mingling here in America. As a bonus, we've usually always had the benefit of having talented scientists and dreamers immigrating here to forge a new life - and by proxy improving the nation as a whole.

There are a lot of specifics to tack onto the list of "why America is great," but those are a few of the most prominent ones in my mind.
"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Offical Birthday Wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 08:03:46 am »
I think the one thing that has made our country great is how we are a mix of the worlds
population. Unlike some countries that feel threatened by immigration we have gained
much from them. Many of our greatest scientists have parents who came to this country. Many
cultures have a strong work ethic, and we gain from them.

Our greatest freedom is that of Speech. Many countries around the world kill those who
speak out against authority. Or put them in labor camps. No freedom of the press. Those
leaders fear speech the most. It brings about change when nothing else will.. Cultures in
some parts of the world limit education, because knowlege would likely cost them control
of the people.

In our country "USA" We have the right to say what we want, even it's against our leaders.. That
doesn't mean we can cry "Fire" in a crowd, or freely cause harm to another, be it to reputation or kill.
We can speak our beliefs be they political or religious, even if they are stupid or radical.

Fortuantly we are not alone in the world as several countries allow the freedom of speech. It's a
powerful thing, and is easily lost to fearful leaders.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:10:32 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Sciex is not a disney wolf
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 08:16:00 am »
here's a list of my favorite things about the United States and why i like it here the most:
-most freedom of speech (while many places have freedom of speech i know that in Europe you might actually get in trouble for saying some things)
-many things here are cheap to have and pretty good (internet plans, phone plans, cars, amazon, ebay, ect)
-the internet is mostly free in terms of websites you can visit
-no bans on randoms stuff (i know Australia and Germany have banned the sale of certain games in stores)
-no laws against open expression of your political opinion, or any other stuff.
-able to own firearms (and even larger weapons) and carry them around
-cheaper land/more land available
-NASA
-strongest/most advanced military/military technology in the world.
-pretty much everyone having the ability to reach their goal, and having the same rights (excluding most immoral actions/goals)
-better/good food quality laws than most areas

little off topic but for how America could be better
-more reasonable gun laws (stop trying ban military-styled weapons, and just pay attention to who you sell it to)
-move more jobs back to America (stop making everything in china)
-better environmental laws/actions
-better education system
-more focus on science, and advanced devices
-better/more organized city layouts
-use hydroponic farms instead of open field farms

likely missing a few things in both lists but meh.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 09:48:11 am »
All those things you listed Graywolf do not make America great. Maybe some of them did at some point and time, but not now.
I like this video I saw on YouTube. It may only be a clip from a tv show, but the words spoken by the character on why America is not great anymore really resonate with me. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:24 am »
if something is great is mostly dependent on perspective. from my perspective those are what make America great

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 10:16:58 am »
Well, your perspective is flawed.  >:(

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:01:18 am »
instead of just saying my perspective is flawed please at least gives some reasons as to how it is. also i have a feeling that many people will agree with some of the things i listed.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »
here's a list of my favorite things about the United States and why i like it here the most:

-most freedom of speech (while many places have freedom of speech i know that in Europe you might actually get in trouble for saying some things)

Most, though not necessarily all, countries have freedom of speech to some extant. Having freedom of speech can be a great thing. But are we any better than the U.K., France, Japan, Norway, Iceland, South Africa, India, etc. for having freedom of speech? No. All those countries have freedom of speech. Does that make them "great"?

-many things here are cheap to have and pretty good (internet plans, phone plans, cars, amazon, ebay, ect)

^ I don't see this as something that makes America great.

-the internet is mostly free in terms of websites you can visit

^ So. How does that make America great? You can pretty much go wherever you want on the Internet in a lot of countries already.

-no bans on randoms stuff (i know Australia and Germany have banned the sale of certain games in stores)

^ Please cite some examples here in this country or in other countries.

-no laws against open expression of your political opinion, or any other stuff.

^ Yes, there are restrictions and laws against things like libel, hate speech, plagiarism, and a few other forms of "speech".

-able to own firearms (and even larger weapons) and carry them around

^ You think owning a firearm is what makes this country great?  :o

-cheaper land/more land available

^ I'll have to get back to you on this.

-NASA

NASA may have been "great" at one time during the 1950's to 1980's (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Space Shuttle) because they had a more "CAN DO" attitude and philoshophy back then. They had the people with a vision and a dream to get things done. But now? Nowadays, NASA is a shell of it's former self. Reduced budgets, letting other countries launch our stuff for us, technical problems, and so much more.  :P

-strongest/most advanced military/military technology in the world.

Militaries and military technology does not make one great. Sure, you can have the most advanced jet fighter in the world to help safeguard the skies above your country. But it's not the jet itself that is great and scores the victory. It's the pilot instead. How a country uses and flexes it's military might all comes down to the people and the training they recieve.

-pretty much everyone having the ability to reach their goal, and having the same rights (excluding most immoral actions/goals)

But in order for people to reach their goals, dreams, and to have rights, they have to continuously work hard and/or fight for those things.

-better/good food quality laws than most areas

^ I don't see this as something that makes America "great".

What defines whether a country is great or not is not how technologically advanced they are, not how many freedoms they have, not whether our automobiles are better than someone else's, etc., etc., etc.    But it all comes down to the people. People are what make a country great. And not just white people either, but ALL races, colors, and ethnicities.

People think that the Apollo Saturn V rocket and subsequent moon landings are what helped make America great. NOT. What helped make these things great were the men and women behind them who had the ideas, creativeity, inspiration, drive, determination, and other factors to make these things and events happen. It's the people who are great. Not the rockets themselves.

Everybody thinks computers are great. Yes, they are amazing things. But it took one man, Steve Jobs, to bring computers into the hands of the every day citizen. He was a visionary. A genius. It's not the computers themselves that are great for making America great. It's Steve Jobs who had the visionary inventiveness to bring computing systems to the average ordinary citizen.

People are what make a country or world great.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 12:32:31 pm »
-having completely unrestricted freedom of speech might help reduce the chance of the government stopping talk of things they dont want people to know
-less money spent and better services makes life easier
-again more freedom (other countries restrict some stuff)
- http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/saints-row-iv-banned-in-australia not completely enforced bans but they are annoying https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games
-they may be laws discouraging them but so far the only things i know of actually being illegal/banned is calling for violence
-there isnt really any reason to have them banned, people will always find another way to kill. also owning a firearm will allow me to possible protect the lives of me and those around me if ever in that situation.
- (cheap land)
-NASA might be alot smaller/weaker now but iv still seen that type of attitude from the scientists/engineers-cheap
-just saying we are more advanced, and if we do have anyone who knows what they are doing they got more/better stuff to use.
-people still need to work at it but there is still mostly equal opportunity here
-slightly safer foods help people be healthier (sadly people suck at that though)

as for those things i wrote down, they were there for the reason i like America/why i want to stay here rather than move to another country. so that is what i view as the good things in America.

i agree with what you are saying about the people are what makes the country great (in my posts i was referring to a different type of great) sadly a lot of that type of stuff is disappearing though. i still see a little bit of it in NASA, Blue Origin, and SpaceX/Tesla though.

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 07:12:42 pm »
Exactly as the thread title says, What makes America great? I often see, hear, and read from time to time this question, and so many people get it wrong.  :P So I'm curious to ask Furtopians here, what do you think makes America great?
That completely depends on an individual's perspective. Don't ask a question if you are simply going to disagree with someone opinion.

Offline Rocoro

• Species: Dhole
  • Dhole dog. Google it.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 12:01:14 pm »
Mountain Dew Code Red
ROCORO

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »

Offline Naxams

• Species: Fox
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 02:31:25 pm »
In my opinion, I can't see anything that makes America "Great". I just don't see what is so great about this country, but hey that's just my point of view.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Offical Birthday Wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 07:45:06 am »
We can say what we want to even if it's stupid.  :D

Seriously though many countries haul people off to jail for talking against
the leaders or their country.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:47:27 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 09:50:36 pm »
Trump. He will make America even greater  :)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:51:50 pm »

To quote from Loc: "When pigs fly."  :P

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 02:22:17 am »

Likely starting with this brilliant decision.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 02:40:07 am »

well dont blame trump for choosing someone like that.. its kinda our fault for causing pollution in the first place. (if everyone were to just buy less stuff there would be less things being made that cause pollution)

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 02:56:36 am »

well dont blame trump for choosing someone like that.. its kinda our fault for causing pollution in the first place. (if everyone were to just buy less stuff there would be less things being made that cause pollution)

Myron Ebell is a climate change denier. Fits right in with Trump's claims that climate change is a Chinese hoax.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:00:48 am by Dusty »

Offline Keitsu

• Male
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 04:16:32 am »

Myron Ebell is a climate change denier. Fits right in with Trump's claims that climate change is a Chinese hoax.
Lots of people in China are dying from how bad their pollution is. Let's hope that trump isn't the president for long...

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 04:23:26 am »
well again its our fault for climate change, so dont blame trump for it. stop buying a new iphone every year, stop buying new cars, buy reusable bottles, use sponges/towels more than napkins/paper, using electrical documents instead of paper, drive less walk more, stop buying random stuff, and much more.

i disagree with denying climate change since it is real, though the only real change we can get is if everyone would stop being wasteful/causing this pollution.