Author Topic: What really "grinds your gears"?  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Beag L. Howler

• Species: Beagle (Beag)/Sloth (Tranquility)
  • AKA Tranquility
  • Female
Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Reply #375 on: December 25, 2016, 04:47:16 pm »
When people complain about being single. Complaining won't get you a date, if you ask me.
Beware the poisonous Rasinets.
Avatar by Gent, aka finestcorruption on tumblr!

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #376 on: December 26, 2016, 05:47:12 am »
Stupid tax laws.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #377 on: January 30, 2017, 10:26:51 pm »
The street-legal freight locomotive firing up and rolling out at half past midnight last night.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2017, 12:28:52 am »
Eggcorns becoming an accepted part of the language. I'm currently confused and infuriated by my recent discovery that the phrase "strait and narrow" is spelt "straight and narrow" in most dictionaries, even though no Bible spells it that way. And if one did it would be a blatant error, since the point of that passage is that the path to Heaven is difficult to follow, and what's so difficult to about a straight path, regardless of how narrow it is? It doesn't make sense. Anyone who knows what the words mean can see that it doesn't make sense. How does an obviously nonsensical misspelling of a well-known Bible quote end up in a dictionary? I don't understand.
“Hmm... They have the Internet on computers now.” - Homer Simpson

“Art doesn't work without pain. Art exists for compensating pain.” - Till Lindemann

“There's a fine line between sayings that make sense.” - Too Much Coffee Man

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #379 on: February 02, 2017, 10:12:19 pm »
The next-door neighbors have not a wage earner among them for at least five years, but do not lack for video games, cigarettes, cel phones, pets, tatoos, and weekly charcoal bbq cookouts.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)