Author Topic: What is a good starter convention?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Kumori-kun

• Male
What is a good starter convention?
« on: May 17, 2008, 01:59:33 am »
As the topic states, I need to know what's a good convention for someone new to the fandom?
This is my signature...

Looking for Virginia furs. If you're around here, please PM me!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Pick a number, any number
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity page
Re: What is a good starter convention?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:49:03 am »
Well, my first (and, so far, only) Con was Further Confusion, and I had an absolute blast (which is pretty amazing, since I knew absolutely no one and spent the whole thing wondering about). But that may just be me.

For a first convention, best thing to start with is probably which one is closest (FC, for instance, is only 20 minutes or so away from my house. Lucky me :)). The closer the convention, the more likely it's in an area you're familiar with (and cheapens the travel costs, which is good, because Cons can suck the money right out of you sometimes). Also, try to find some furs in your area that are attending, so you'll have some guys to hang with.

Offline pocomouse

• Male
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:42:20 pm »
I agree that close is good.  Also, look for a smaller con.  It's easier to meet people that way.
After all is said and done,
More is said than done.                               

-Aesop

Offline Kumori-kun

• Male
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 05:13:05 pm »
I hear that MFM is coming up. Is that a good one for starting?
This is my signature...

Looking for Virginia furs. If you're around here, please PM me!

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:12:22 am »
MFM can be a good con for a first-timer. Things are fairly relaxed, people mostly show up to socialize. (Heck, most furry cons are full of people there to socialize.) Morphicon can be a good first con. Anthrocon can be a good first con. It all depends on what you want out of a convention.

Here's some advice for you: Let your anxiety go. Don't worry so much about which one is the best; you are partly responsible for your own con experience, so a good attitude is as important (or more so) as a good con.

So: Find a convention that looks fairly attractive to you, and is within your price range. (Note that travel, food, and room expenses should be added to the con's registration fee, so closer and shorter cons are less expensive overall - but maybe you want to travel cross-country and stay Thursday through Monday to get the full experience of the largest conventions.) If you join the con's mailing list or forum, you can ask about ride-sharing and room-sharing, which will help reduce the travel and hotel costs.

Make travel plans and confirm your schedule, including time off from work/school. Make your room (and airline) reservations at a reasonable time before the con - booking next year's hotel room at this year's convention is a bit far off (plans can change in a year), while begging for a room share the day of opening ceremonies is basically not going to work. If you've made sound plans (and you should expect something to come up, so keep your plans simple), that can help act as a buffer to anxiety about meeting schedules.

You might also be anxious about wanting to meet fellow furries. Meeting people iRL can be great and wonderful, but by the end of the first evening it's more of a neat and cool thing, rather than the heavenly ecstasy that intense expectations can make it out to be. As I've already said, try to relax and let your anxiety go. You'll have a great time, right? Right.

Once you've made your plans, and made your reservations, it's just a waiting game until time to travel. Try not to get distracted from making your travel connections once you're on the road.

And from there, FULL STEAM AHEAD! (But watch your speed on the road - cops love stopping strangers on road trips!)
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:04:01 pm »
how far in advance can u book a room/ admission lol
i know there are ppl who jump on that asap.
cause hey if yer expecting a chunk of money to be in yer bank why not right?
bears eat the best, sleep the best, look the best ...oh and gives hugz the best

Offline silverfox

• I swear I will remember everything!
  • Male
    • SilverFox's Den
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:07:58 pm »
i know there are ppl who jump on that asap.
cause hey if yer expecting a chunk of money to be in yer bank why not right?

I pre-reg'd for FC09 even before FC08 was over :P

Signature by Drasune (the actual drawing)
morg: whats for lunch today?
SilverFox: Pasta Roni :)
morg: XD
morg: that can be your new nickname... silverdapastaronifox
Obligatory furry code

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:14:05 pm »
ok so they allow that, what about rooms...i live in ERIE pa so AC is in my state but not in my neighborhood so making sure i got a room is good. cause i'm gonna drag my BF along as well (non-fur) and it's harder to share a room when yer packing 2 ppl in yer possy lol.

i'm looking to go the one in 2010

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 11:20:28 pm »

For example: It's possible a person could book a room at the Westin for AC2009 now, BUT......that person would not get the special con rates/discounts this early. Even though AC08 is done, it'll take the con staff a few months to negotiate with the hotel for room rates and also how many floors and rooms the hotel will allocate for the con. Registering for a room for AC09 probably won't be ready till late Fall this year. The same process works for most other cons.

Most convention websites will post announcements as to when registering for rooms will be available.

Offline Kudos

• YAYYY for BEARS
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 11:26:08 pm »
good point, but my luck the rooms will sell faster than i can get the internet started. so i would (being stupid i know) book a room well ahead of time just to have...and maybe see if i could exchange for a more "convient room" --wink wink-- so i can have one form the start then if possible switch down that way theres no real gamble...or is that not allowed.

thanks again for the help...oh and thanks again for getting my name changed, actually i don't think i thank u to begin with  :D