Author Topic: Simple-ish tail designs any one?  (Read 11318 times)

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
Simple-ish tail designs any one?
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:00:50 pm »
After seeing the most amazing tail ever at AC this year and finding out that it uses yarn instead of fur (Which I can't get hold of very easily being in the UK)  I decided to try my hand at this method.  
There's a video of the guy wearing the tail he made using this method Link
After around 16 hours of work over 3 days, I made myself a tail using the method he used. That being, crocheting a base, adding a chain and an ice rod blank inside the base.  Then attaching strands of yarn to the base and using a dog grooming comb to fray the yarn.
So yea.  I have a blue tail that has a little black ring-ish type part near the end.  
Now, I've decided that I'd like to make another one.  I've made the base ready to start adding the fur to;  However, I suck at designing things so I was wondering if some one could help me out.  I need to come up with a simple-ish design for this tail.  At the moment, I have black, red and blue material.  I can get more colours, but that's what I've got at the moment if some one can come up with something using those ^.~
If it turns out well, I may be interested in parting with it for a small something since it does take a long time to make...
If I get lots of really good ideas, then I'll put them in a line for the one after.
Any ideas then guys? ^_^
(baring in mind that it doesn't have to be with the colours that I've got ^.~ Was just saying what colours I have got <_< )
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:09:54 pm by Blastdav »
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
Re: Simple-ish tail designs any one?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:07:26 pm »
thats pretty sweet blastdav, defanitly really bendy. and flows really organicaly as well o.o
I'll stick to my mechanical anamatronic ergonomic bio engineered design though : P (lol, sounds pretty impressive if i say it that wayX3)

how does the yarn fur feel compared to fake fur though?
i might try combining the 2 types of designs.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:06:18 pm »
I reckon this tail feels more real than fake fur but that's just me.  Sure fake fur may be really soft, but to me it's not all that realistic...  Fake fur is also normally shorter and you have to substitue by making the tail thicker, which, to me, can end up looking kinda silly and of course thicker tails are less likely to move naturally.  This tail is really good because you can set everything yourself.  I.e. you can have the fur whatever length you want it to without spending loads of money buying fur fabric that is the same length.
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Hayaikawa

• Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:39:19 pm »
I reckon this tail feels more real than fake fur but that's just me.  Sure fake fur may be really soft, but to me it's not all that realistic...  Fake fur is also normally shorter and you have to substitue by making the tail thicker, which, to me, can end up looking kinda silly and of course thicker tails are less likely to move naturally.  This tail is really good because you can set everything yourself.  I.e. you can have the fur whatever length you want it to without spending loads of money buying fur fabric that is the same length.

ya, that ability to change the length of the fur would solve so many problems, I.E no more need for foam to make it look like its the right size, and the foam and fur wont keep the tail from bending easily, plus i bet its a ton cheaper than some fake fur : P

Edit: im REALLY interested in this fur techinique, can you link me to the tutorial or what ever you used to learn how to make it yourself?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:13:07 am by Hayaikawa »

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:38:27 am »
Edit: im REALLY interested in this fur techinique, can you link me to the tutorial or what ever you used to learn how to make it yourself?
Actually, could you post a link to the forums?  If this design works anything like the way raya knots work for mini tapestries, then it might be possible for a pixel-precision pattern to be made for a tail, which would be quite nice.

Also, does anybody know if frayed yarn have the same tactile effect that faux fur does?

(edit: in retrospect, I fail at reading...)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:36:39 pm by redyoshi49q »
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline TakareKazhal

• Adorer of cuteness~
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:16:38 am »
Wahhhh, that's the prettiest tail I've seen. It looks so soft >w< *covets even though she actually doesn't wear animal ears or tails*

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:02 pm »
How about I post the link to the tutorial after I get some of you guys giving me some colour ideas for my tail since that's what the topic is about hmm? ^.~
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline TakareKazhal

• Adorer of cuteness~
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »
 :-[ Eheheh, sorry...black is always nice, in my opinion.

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 07:41:51 pm »
If you're looking for a suggestion on color design, why not do a bi-color tail with an outside that's black speckled with blue and an inside that's red speckled with black?

If you use only red, blue, and black, though, you're bound to end up with something that's very toony.  If you want something more realistic, you're probably going to need to get some brown at the very least...
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 07:53:25 pm »
Black top, red underside! That's what I say, anyway.

*nods decisively*

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 07:57:52 pm »
Thanks guys ^.~
I will have a look into getting some more realistic colours.  I'd appreciate any more ideas that any of you can come up with though ^_^

You've earned yourselves the link.  Congrats ^_^ I hope you can crochet  :D
Link

If any one needs any help with anything in that tutorial (I did find the instructions on crochet hard to follow) feel free to ask me.  I've got the methods all worked out now ^_^

Black top, red underside! That's what I say, anyway.

*nods decisively*
Black tip, red underside, rest of the tail..? >.>
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:06 pm »
Top, not tip, silly dragon. *baps you on the snout*

Offline Hayaikawa

• Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:00:07 pm »
yay, linky, im so using this style : D

lol blastdav, only fur patter i can think of is pure white : P

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 09:08:08 pm »
Top, not tip, silly dragon. *baps you on the snout*

Oh yea >.>
Leave me alone I'm tired v.v
*Rubs snout*
yay, linky, im so using this style : D

lol blastdav, only fur patter i can think of is pure white : P

I may have a go at doing white and perhaps throw some black in there as well as some kinda pattern to see how that goes ^_^
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Hayaikawa

• Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 10:27:54 pm »
this style seems kinda risky in a way, since the entire center piece yarn is just one single piece that if cut/broken/snapped would completely unravel the whole thing.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 01:01:32 am »
this style seems kinda risky in a way, since the entire center piece yarn is just one single piece that if cut/broken/snapped would completely unravel the whole thing.

Crocheted stuff seems to hold up pretty well. You can't like take scissors to it, but why would you do that? My mom crochets a lot, so I'm quite familiar with the process itself.

As for designs, black and red are always good together. You might try making it more speckled or something. Like in each so-called 'tuft', have one strand of a different color.  Though that would be more noticeable with more contrast in the colors.

You could do spots, rings, other more distinct markings (like the diamond that Norwegian Elkhounds have on their tails)... I see a lot of custom design potential with this, since you completely control where the colors go.

Would love to see some pics of the process and final outcome!

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 07:02:22 pm »
  I use string for the base on mine.  It's a lot tougher than yarn and the 'fur' is thick enough that you won't see the string underneith it.

As for designs, black and red are always good together. You might try making it more speckled or something. Like in each so-called 'tuft', have one strand of a different color.  Though that would be more noticeable with more contrast in the colors.
I'll add black and red to the mebbe pile ^.~
For this kind of thing, you want to know exactly what you want because it takes too long to do it and then realise after that it looks terrible. 

You could do spots, rings, other more distinct markings (like the diamond that Norwegian Elkhounds have on their tails)... I see a lot of custom design potential with this, since you completely control where the colors go.
I'm not sure if this is the case or not because I've not tried it yet, but I'm a bit dubious about whether a ring or different shape would come out all -that- well unless you brush the 'fur' neatly so that it stays in the same pattern.  I may have a go with patterns a few tails in the future though ^_^

As for pictures.  I will certainly take a picture of this one that I'm working on when it's done ^_^
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 11:03:30 am »
Blast, go with black and red.  It'd rock.  :)

Actually, I'm following this same design now!  Yeay for tail buddies!  I'm gonna do a blue and white tail first, then I'm gonna do a bright green and white one (because someone gave me free green yarn).  It's gonna look psychedelic, but it'll be awesome.  ^_^
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Hayaikawa

• Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 04:58:49 pm »
i got my some siple stuff to start making one yesterday,, but this is really tricky @.@

i can get thre very first 8-10 links decently but have no clue how to start making the tube.

and i seriously cant find thick punky white yarn anywhere, its like no one makes it any more -.-

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 12:32:14 am »
So, you've got the chain down, but aren't clear on where to go from there?

I'm pretty sure all he's basically doing is something like an upward spiral of single-crochets.  Just do a quick search online for 'single crochet'.  There's some good guides and even youtube vids that'll show you what you're supposed to be doing.   It's the most basic stitch in crochet.

I'm starting to make a small square in this fashion, just to see how the process seems to work out.  Unfortunately, I only have access to a couple small balls of multi-colored yarn.  So the finished fur square is going to be rather interesting looking.

One interesting thing I found with putting on the tufts of yarn, was that while it's necessary to use the hook to get the tuft looped through the base, I found it easier to use my fingers to pull the tails of the tufts through the tuft loop in order to secure the tufts to the base. (hope that makes sense). 

Aside from that, I have no idea of how dense I should be putting the stuff on.  I'm assuming that the yarn seems to 'grow' when you comb it all out. If it comes out halfway-decently, I'll share a pic. Could be a bit though, as I'll only be able to work on it off-and-on.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:07:34 pm by Ziel »

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 06:58:37 pm »
Heh, I struggled with the crocheting part as well, but then I ran off at 10pm at night to a friend's house and got her to show me and it's actually really easy when you know how >.>
I did try looking for a youtube video or a link some where to show me how to do it, but I never found a good enough one.  If any one really needs some help with the crocheting part though, I can demonstrate over webcam if it'd be helpful to any one who has msn or aim or yim or what ever ^.~

As for attaching the 'fur', I use a hatch hook, it's fast and easy ^^

I use 5 strands in each part on the base and it does seem to be thick enough.  I'd say go with that unless you want really thick fur or the yarn you're using is thin.
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 10:55:22 pm »
I use 5 strands in each part on the base and it does seem to be thick enough.

I've got 5 strands going in mine, too.  What are you counting as each part? I just wasn't quite sure how frequently I should be putting the tufts on.  Like, do you have one tuft for each stitch (would think that would be too much), or is there a bit more spacing between each clump of fur?

Suppose i'll just have to find out. Can always add more if it seems too thin.

Offline shakuhachi

• Male
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »
Oh my goodness! I'm totally going to try to make this. It seems a little too simple though... Like I know I'm totally going to get in over my head or something. x3

It would be cool if people posted pics of what they're making!  :goldthpt:

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 03:28:10 pm »
I made a really short video of what I've done so far, what my base looks like and how I do certain things like attaching the fur to the base etc.  I'll put it on my Furtopia ftp site when WS fixes them and then I'll post the link in here.  In the mean time, if any one wants to see it, feel free to PM me, or ask me on IM or what ever ^_^
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 04:29:19 pm »
I took a picture of my tails at the moment and uploaded it to my photobucket rather than waiting for the FTP to come back.

The bottom is my first tail and the top one is the one I'm working on at the moment ^_^

They both need a little bit more brushing, but yea.  There you go ^_^

I'm going to be making a belt attachment to work with a pair of trousers so that the tail is in the correct place a tail should be.  Should be interesting ^_^
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA