not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Law suits due to greed or for loss.

<< < (3/3)

Chipper Blu-wolf:
I saw the title of this thread, and I immediately went with greed.

One example that made the news, and I can't believe it did, was a 20 year old girl that sued her parents because they didn't pay for her college education.  From what I can tell, the daughter was not living with her parents.  Somehow she won the case.  Granted I don't think we'll ever hear the total truth from all parties how this case went down, but when you read of stories like this, where people feel its about them, then its not about loss, its about the Benjamins.  There are plenty of students out there that don't go after mommy and daddy if they choose to not contribute or help their kids fund a college education.  They find ways to make it work, and honestly they come out stronger in the end because they had to be resourceful and make things work.  That's what life is about.  Money brings out the worst in people.

Source for the argument: https://www.yahoo.com/news/21-year-old-sues-parents-for-college-tuition-and-104767331362.html

Kobuk:

--- Quote from: Chipper Blu-wolf on August 14, 2016, 08:37:37 pm ---I saw the title of this thread, and I immediately went with greed.

One example that made the news, and I can't believe it did, was a 20 year old girl that sued her parents because they didn't pay for her college education.  From what I can tell, the daughter was not living with her parents.  Somehow she won the case.  Granted I don't think we'll ever hear the total truth from all parties how this case went down, but when you read of stories like this, where people feel its about them, then its not about loss, its about the Benjamins.  There are plenty of students out there that don't go after mommy and daddy if they choose to not contribute or help their kids fund a college education.  They find ways to make it work, and honestly they come out stronger in the end because they had to be resourceful and make things work.  That's what life is about.  Money brings out the worst in people.

Source for the argument: https://www.yahoo.com/news/21-year-old-sues-parents-for-college-tuition-and-104767331362.html

--- End quote ---

This paragraph from that article kinda caught my eye:

--- Quote ---Onorato says she expects to see more of these cases come up as college tuition rises. “We’re talking about 20, 30, 40 grand a year,” she says. “For some people that will be a big burden. As the cost of tuition skyrockets, there will be more people who are unable to meet that obligation and the ripple effect will be more kids suing parents for college since they cant afford it on their own.”
--- End quote ---

And if not college, what then? What else will kids sue for?

"Dad, you didn't get me a new car for my 18th birthday. I'm suing!"
"I'm suing my mother for making me do household chores!"

Age of entitlement, my tail!  :goldpissed:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version