not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

"Get out and VOTE!"

(1/3) > >>

Holt5:
I just got done reading an article* about how so many celebrities and ads tell people to "go out and vote! It's your civic duty!" But is this really what we want? If someone isn't already vested enough in some particular interest to vote, what makes anyone think that such a person is going to benefit the direction in which our country takes itself politically? Economically? Militarily?

*http://qpolitical.com/24-hours-after-last-nights-debate-mike-rowe-makes-a-huge-confession-on-what-he-see-wrong-with-this-election/

Wouldn't it be more productive to instead encourage people to take an active interest in that direction and how other directions work, first and foremost? The desire to vote should be a result of the desire to change our country for the better - not to stave off the worst we have to offer until the next election.

What say the masses?   

Kobuk:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on May 05, 2016, 03:00:04 pm ---
--- Quote ---Now for those who think not voting is a good idea. You only hurt yourself.
--- End quote ---

Not quite true there. Yes, you are hurting yourself. But you are also hurting future generations to come. What kind of a legacy/society will you leave for your children and their children, etc. if you don't take action and vote/protest, etc.?
By not voting for or against certain things and people, future generations to come will have to live with the mistakes and consequences of those who came before them. ;)

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---"Choosing not to vote isn’t rebellion. It’s surrender."
--- End quote ---

Varg the wanderer:
At this point, as I've stated before, this election is like flight 93. We know how one will end up, and it's horrific. The other might end badly too, but at least there's hope. Even if we fight and end up planting the nation into a proverbial back yard, we would have at least given it a shot rather than stood by and let disaster happen.

Or look at it like a game of Russian roulette: Would you rather play with the semi-auto pistol, or the revolver? Both might only have one round in them, but at least with the revolver I get to spin the barrel.

Kobuk:

--- Quote from: Varg the wanderer on October 12, 2016, 04:24:01 pm ---At this point, as I've stated before, this election is like flight 93. We know how one will end up, and it's horrific. The other might end badly too, but at least there's hope. Even if we fight and end up planting the nation into a proverbial back yard, we would have at least given it a shot rather than stood by and let disaster happen.

Or look at it like a game of Russian roulette: Would you rather play with the semi-auto pistol, or the revolver? Both might only have one round in them, but at least with the revolver I get to spin the barrel.

--- End quote ---

So which one do you think is Trump and which one is Clinton?

Holt5:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on October 12, 2016, 04:41:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: Varg the wanderer on October 12, 2016, 04:24:01 pm ---At this point, as I've stated before, this election is like flight 93. We know how one will end up, and it's horrific. The other might end badly too, but at least there's hope. Even if we fight and end up planting the nation into a proverbial back yard, we would have at least given it a shot rather than stood by and let disaster happen.

--- End quote ---

So which one do you think is Trump and which one is Clinton?

--- End quote ---

I'd say flip a coin.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version