furry arts discussion > artwork techniques & tutorials

A Rat Throws Paint. Ramblings, thoughts and what I've learned. Acrylic paints

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jade Sinapu:
Thanks for the info Cause!  I was curious.
I still need to work on my pencils before doing more. 
Keep posting your findings!

FarFar:
Good tips, Rat! Glad you are progressing with your works. You remind me that one needs to practice, practice, practice and with it, one will improve.
Thanks for the updates.

cause the rat:
FarFar, You brought up a very good point. Practice.

There are two ways to practice. The first way is the way 99% do it. Pant a painting. Then paint another one. Then another one. And so on. What you end up with is a pile of bad practicing. End up getting better at the stuff you may be good at. And not going anywhere with what your not.

The right way. Practice what you see your not up to par at. And once you get to where your better THEN make a painting. I had to paint 75 figures in different posses before I got it down. OK, better but still needs work. But happy enough with it to start putting figures in paintings. That's just the outside shape of a body. I still have facial features, clothing and all the other goodies that go with what makes people look like people. Had I not taken the time to get the scale of the body right a good face would get me nowhere.

Practice what your bad at. No matter what it is. Break it down into doable techniques. Shading, perspective, scale are all easier to learn if you learn them one at a time. Then put them together. Then put a picture together.

I know i keep preaching the same thing over and over again. Because it works. I'm no smarter or talented than anyone else. I had a really good guitar teacher. I learned if you practice what your bad at you'll have more fun when you play.

.....and all this from someone who still doesn't know what he's doing. As Jade Sinapu pointed out I can easily be persuaded to go down the wrong path.  So eager to learn my mind goes out to lunch. :) It's not like I haven't done something like this in the past. I read a science article about how we see purple. Because red and blue are on opposite ends of the color spectrum. Purple is only on one side. So every color we see that isn't a mix of red to yellow to blue is seen as purple. WOW! Something new. I had to go around a tell everyone what I learned. Until I sat down and thought about it. And my first thought was I'm an idiot. And I proved it to myself. Took a sheet of paper . Turned it longways in front of me. From left to right wrote out, Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. Then I made a tube out of that piece of paper. Red touches purple. Most people think linear. Not 3D. So I went around and apologized and displayed why I was wrong. So if your following my advice follow at a safe distance. Let me fall off a cliff by myself. Hopefully I'll climb back up, say 'oops' and continue on this journey.

cause the rat:
Found a great channel for all you digital artists. He goes into a lot of the same things we traditional use. Color theory and all.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsDxB-CSMQ0Vu_hTag7-2UQ

Got a great series of figure and gesture drawing in digital going on right now.

Jade Sinapu:

--- Quote from: cause the rat on June 30, 2019, 08:26:42 pm ---FarFar, You brought up a very good point. Practice.

There are two ways to practice. The first way is the way 99% do it. Pant a painting. Then paint another one. Then another one. And so on. What you end up with is a pile of bad practicing. End up getting better at the stuff you may be good at. And not going anywhere with what your not.

The right way. Practice what you see your not up to par at. And once you get to where your better THEN make a painting. I had to paint 75 figures in different posses before I got it down. OK, better but still needs work. But happy enough with it to start putting figures in paintings. That's just the outside shape of a body. I still have facial features, clothing and all the other goodies that go with what makes people look like people. Had I not taken the time to get the scale of the body right a good face would get me nowhere.

Practice what your bad at. No matter what it is. Break it down into doable techniques. Shading, perspective, scale are all easier to learn if you learn them one at a time. Then put them together. Then put a picture together.

I know i keep preaching the same thing over and over again. Because it works. I'm no smarter or talented than anyone else. I had a really good guitar teacher. I learned if you practice what your bad at you'll have more fun when you play.

.....and all this from someone who still doesn't know what he's doing. As Jade Sinapu pointed out I can easily be persuaded to go down the wrong path.  So eager to learn my mind goes out to lunch. :) It's not like I haven't done something like this in the past. I read a science article about how we see purple. Because red and blue are on opposite ends of the color spectrum. Purple is only on one side. So every color we see that isn't a mix of red to yellow to blue is seen as purple. WOW! Something new. I had to go around a tell everyone what I learned. Until I sat down and thought about it. And my first thought was I'm an idiot. And I proved it to myself. Took a sheet of paper . Turned it longways in front of me. From left to right wrote out, Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. Then I made a tube out of that piece of paper. Red touches purple. Most people think linear. Not 3D. So I went around and apologized and displayed why I was wrong. So if your following my advice follow at a safe distance. Let me fall off a cliff by myself. Hopefully I'll climb back up, say 'oops' and continue on this journey.

--- End quote ---

Cause...
I was not questioning you or anything, I was genuinely curious how to hold a brush.  I am pretty sure I would have gone down the same rabbit hole(s) that you have. 
And as for color vision and all that,... its still confusing to me. 
The fact we are asking questions and looking for answers everywhere means we have active minds, the kind that find answers to life's big questions.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version