Author Topic: Costume update, working on the tail  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Anima

• Male
    • http://animakitty.furrynet.com/Main.htm
Costume update, working on the tail
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:53:41 am »
I know it's been a very long time indeed since my last post about my costume for Anthrocon.  I managed to buy the materials I need for my tail, over the past two weeks. (Black panther tail.)

1 30" length of heavy chain
4 lengths of cylindrical pipe insulation (I only needed one, but they came in a bag.)
3.25 yards of soft black plush felt  (I didn't know how much I'd need, so I bought what was left on the roll.)
2 keychain-type sliding tab clips

Now, I got the basic idea for this tail from http://www.tailsmith.com   A chain for the spine, covered in the pipe insulation, then covered in the 'fur'.  The clips fasten at one end to the chain, and at the other end to the belt-loops on the back of my pants.  (I intended to clip the chain to two separate belt loops, but discovered they were too far apart, so I'm just using one of the clips at this point.)
     The insulation was too stiff, restricting the sway of the chain.  (That's the whole reason for using chain: it makes the tail sway very naturally. You can also drape it over chairs, arms, other people, etc. ;K)   So I cut out small rectangular chunks of the insulation on either side of the split in the tube, making it look a little like vertebrae.  This allows the insulation to bend much more easily with the chain.  I just hope the notches I made don't continue to lengthen, and eventually split the insulation all over.  The insulation is for bulk, and for feel.  It gives the tail a squishy feel, instead of a 'hey that's chain!' feel.  ;K)

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to proceed from here.  I need to measure and cut out a piece of felt, wrap it around the insulated chain, and sew it.  Sewing experience: none.  I also need to find a way to anchor the chain in place inside the pipe insulation.  Gravity will keep the chain straight, inside it, for the most part.  But lifting it up straight may bunch up the chain inside and mess it all up.  I don't know yet if I should glue the inside of the felt to the insulation when I wrap it up... It would probably help keep it from bunching, but if it tore or got something on it and I needed to replace the felt cover, I wouldn't be able to.

Suggestions anyone?   I also need to make myself some paws, probably with more of the felt...

Offline grumble

• Male
    • http://www.laserfur.com
Costume update, working on the tail
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 06:03:52 pm »
Personally I like light, thin and bouncy tails, however...

To have a flexible and smooth tail.
1. Cut the tubing lengthwise into 4 pieces.
2. Tape the 4 pieces back together with the chain inside.
3. use a long doll needle and some button thread to sew threw
 the tubing and chain links by inserting the needle and pulling
 it threw and then move up and do it again.
4. Cut the tape so that each side can move freely.

This will create a loose web of strands to keep the chain in place while preventing it from bunching up.