Author Topic: How do you stop fur matting?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Loomy

• Male
How do you stop fur matting?
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:29:56 am »
I went to a charity event yesterday and wound up wearing my suit for a good 3 hours in the heat, and generally having a great time.  When I got home I turned it inside out and sprayed it wash my alcohol/water mix.  Then today I pulled it right side out to brush it and I saw that the arm pits and fur between the legs was becoming really matted even though I brush it after each outing.

This suit is less than 1.5 months old and I want to keep it in the best condition possible for as long as possible, so How do I fix the matting issue without messing up the fur?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: How do you stop fur matting?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:04:07 am »
I'm not really sure there is a good way to stop fur from getting matted. No matter how much a person suits or how careful they take care of their suit, There will always be matting in some way and in some area of the suit. Brushing is the only thing I can think of to hopefully prevent it.

Post # 13 (Section 5 - Brushing of Fur)
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=36325.0

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Re: How do you stop fur matting?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »
Saw a suiter brushing out his paws in the headless lounge at the last con I attended.

There are a variety of horsehair brushes which can make the job easy. Some are used for shining shoes. Acryllic fur ruffs on military parka hoods mat up horribly when machine laundered.

I use a small brass-bristle suede brush to get long-pile faux fur out of the velcro closure of one of my headpieces so it fastens properly when wearing.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)