Author Topic: Fursuit head! Also yarn tail.  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Magna

• Female
Fursuit head! Also yarn tail.
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:34:31 pm »
Here we go! My first attempt at a yarn tail. 100% acrylic yarn, braided core, and a bunch of little strands tied onto it.

It reached down past my knees by an inch or two. I was so proud of myself for tying all those little knots, and so glad to be done.

And then I brushed it out and it all squished down to the bottom :P

It's really fluffy, and cool looking. Kinda a mottled red/black.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:02:04 pm by Arlesey »

Offline Nyeti

• the "frigglebiscuit" approves!
  • Male
Re: First Attempt at a Yarn Tail!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38:07 pm »
sweet! :D

i like the red and black,but i bet it was a pain to do :o
still looks awesome tho (:
i really have a crazy thing for orange juice...and apples o.o

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:39 pm »
Nice. It's like a lion tail :P

But really, after seeing the picture and putting a few things together, I think I might have some pointers for the next rendition if you so choose to make one.

The reason the crochet version works is because crocheting is like making organized, loose knots. Or really, one giant one. The way the yarn twists together, you get a network of yarn that can be pulled in any direction without splitting.  A braid, while also an organized twisting of yarn, doesn't provide the same stability for the underlying structure. Basically, if you tie the 'fur' pieces on, they can actually slide down the length of the braid because there is no real structure in place to stop it from being able to slide.

(I hope this is making sense...)

In short, you need some sort form of stops in the spine of it, in order for the fur to not pull down like that. Be that in the form of a few periodic knots after a few twists of the braid, or possibly making the whole spine out of a series of (a lot) of knots.

I'll stop typing now. I feel like this is coming out as utter nonsense. I'll see if I can find some yarn laying around here this weekend and play around with some of the ideas I have and see if any of them work. Then I could show pictures that should explain what I'm talking about much better than this disorganized pile of words I've thrown at you.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline kuroneko jusan

• As my name suggests, I'm a bit of a Jynx...
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:55:52 am »
That looks awesome! I think it kind of ended up looking more realistic when it bunched up, even if it added more work.  Were it me, I would continue to repeat this process 'til I had a complete tail, but I'm probably crazy, so feel free to ignore everything I've said here...

Except the awesome, that was from the heart. :)

Offline Ambroise

• Male
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:23:47 am »
That looks awesome! I think it kind of ended up looking more realistic when it bunched up, even if it added more work.  Were it me, I would continue to repeat this process 'til I had a complete tail, but I'm probably crazy, so feel free to ignore everything I've said here...

Except the awesome, that was from the heart. :)

I agree...
It looks fantastic *at the bottom* and would actually be more "realistic" once finished....
De'La Rot

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:48 am »
I am planning on finishing it, seeing as I've got a ton more yarn to use up :P And it's nice to have something keeping my hands busy in front of the tv.

Offline kuroneko jusan

• Female
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:18:37 pm »
Hooray for happy accidents, this should turn out to be one of the coolest yarn tails ever. :D  I look forward to pics of the finished product.

Offline Magna

• Female
Re: Fursuit head! Also yarn tail.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:05:31 pm »
Got my fursuit head in the mail! It's unfinished, but I plan on having it off to get finished here in the next few days. The moving jaw works like a dream, the vision is great, I can wear my glasses with it, and the only rough spot on the inside can be really easily covered with a piece of felt. It's a little un-fluffed from being in the box, but it looks amazing.

Here's the character I'll be finishing it into: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8432426/

Here's a few quick pictures on the webcam, I have to get back to running around the house in it now.

I am so excited guys you have no idea.

Offline kuroneko jusan

• Female
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:11:36 pm »
That is Beautiful!

Offline Nyeti

• the "frigglebiscuit" approves!
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »
that thing is SWAG :D

try not to die of over excitement lol (:
i really have a crazy thing for orange juice...and apples o.o

Offline Mylo

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »
That is so awesome!  :o  Makes me want to work on my own fursuit head (which when finished, I hope for it to look something like yours ;)).

Offline ArticShadow

• Female
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:57:39 am »
Nice fursuit head and yarn tail, I'm also working on a yarn tail, mine may just be plain black.
Icon done by FluffyFennecx3 off FA.