Author Topic: Why Do You Want a Fursuit?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Why Do You Want a Fursuit?
« on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:23 pm »
Exactly as the thread title says. But another title I was pondering was: "How to explain you want a fursuit?".
We all join the furry fandom for various reasons, and we all express (or hope/try to express or "come out" about) our furriness by wearing tails, ears, collars, etc.  Furtopia forums already has threads about collars and tails in the Lifestyler forum, and there is already a pinned thread in the GFD forum about why the need to come out about being furry. But when it comes to fursuits, there's not much, if any, discussion about why you want one or how to explain to friends/family you want one.

So........Why do you want a fursuit? Have you had difficulty in telling your friends/family you want a fursuit? Do your friends/family already know you want one or suspect that you want one? If you do have one, then have they seen it. If so, how have they reacted to it, either positively or negatively? What do your friends/family think of fursuits?

A fursuit is just a costume, right? A person shouldn't be afraid to "come out" about it, nor should they "hide it" so to speak.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:15:38 pm by Kobuk »

Offline SPark

• Female
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
Re: Why Do You Want a Fursuit?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:41:50 pm »
A fursuit is just a costume, right? A person shouldn't be afraid to "come out" about it, nor should they "hide it" so to speak.

I could not agree with this more!  But people are weird and flip out over some weird stuff.

For me, I've never really wanted to own or wear one, I just was immediately attracted to the idea of making one.  That a person could take foam and fabric and thread and glue, and turn out something that looks like a real creature (or a cartoon creature) is amazing and I wanted to try it!

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:27 am »
I pretty much agree with what SParks typed =p it's cool to make something 'come to life' like that, basically. But, there's this:

Why do you want a fursuit? - I wanted one to be closer to my fursona :3 to actually portray her more or so. Same with the other's I've made ^^! Also, going to conventions and stuffs helped with that. Now I know I have a reason to change into them =p not just for myself.

Have you had difficulty in telling your friends/family you want a fursuit? - No, I have not. I bought my own fur with my own earned gift card moneh xD and spent it on that and made my fursuits my own way. Again, probably thanking the "my parents know I'm weird with anime" thing again for that =p and I just randomly walked upstairs one day with my whole fursuit. My Mom thought it was funny/cute and my dad wanted to know if there was a costume party somewhere o-o but he liked it also.

Do your friends/family already know you want one or suspect that you want one? - When I told my niece about me being a Furry xD it only took a few months after that she started to suspect me wanting to actually make a fursuit. My parents never thought anything though. o.0

If you do have one, then have they seen it. If so, how have they reacted to it, either positively or negatively? - Basically what I said before. More Positive and weird reactions lol, also with my brother xD! I know I made everyone smile when I showed them :3 so there's that.

What do your friends/family think of fursuits? - I have already showed them three more of mine and also my niece's. I've yet to show them my newest one. Which I will saturday for sure xD! But yeah, they have their favorites lol. It all works out.

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline dodbringr

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:27:40 am »
We've always liked the idea that a fursuit is kind of like the "ultimate" way of expressing not only your furriness, but also it really allows you to show off your character more than a drawing can. Personally, we also think that they are a good way to maintain anonymity in public and at cons; by that we mean it's easier to truly be your character without others making comments that differentiate you from your fursona. If that made any sense to anyone, good for you. *throws cookies to random people*    :D

Offline Axelfox

• Species: Red fox
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:26 am »
Because i wanted a fursuit to portray my character and bring him to life. My family is also ok with it,and promised to take me to a furry con next year. Plus wearing the fursuit, i get a lot of people wanting to hug me and such.

Offline She-King

• Human in a suit
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:14:21 am »
Over the years I wanted the ultimate costume. Something that would POP and WOW people. I wasn't happy just being an ordinary human. No, I don't think I'm an animal, but I always did notice people were really moved by something NOT human and non-typical so I searched for that. My artistic prowess helped me a little bit with finding something that really worked.

Rens fest was coming up so I wanted to do a mascot costume of some type. A mythical creature of sorts would really bring me some attention! I started browsing Deviant Art's fursuit groups, just fascinated with the anthropromorphic suits people would make, real and not real. I've always been artistic and craftsy(Minutely) so it wasn't a surprise when I started talking with family about making a suit.

I will say, I wanted to so badly, but I was so scared and doubtful about my own ability to make anything craft-like. I had usually avoided anything that involved my hands and being neat. Clay was as serious as it got. I didn't have to be too neat with that stuff in my own home.

I did thoroughly explain to my family, as I was making, that I had done extensive research on the fandom itself and the varying lifestyles people had good and bad with the fandom. You can guess what those are. Also, with my religious beliefs, certain questions had to be asked out right because for some reason, the fandom doesn't explain what branches to the fandom or inspirations there are, which, frankly, I think it hurts the fandom even more and drives people away.

Therianthropy is the thing I asked about because nobody mentioned, formally ,what it was, which would help curious people like me, that might be looking for the good side of things or it might change the mind of a troll who's just looking for confirmation that furries are people who do think they're animals.

I don't. I don't agree with therianthropy, but that's not the point of this forum XD.

I wanted a fursuit because I wanted something that would get attention. Not in a bad way, but kind of almost like an experimental thing. Plus, from the artistic side of it, I could display my artwork, walk it around, take it with me to cons, and get pictures and video. Let alone, animate a character.

Fursuiting for me is a way to show off my art, and write a story with a live-action character. I write in my free time and I have been told I have good character developement. Fursuiting is like animation in its make-up. I bring a character to life and give them their own interests, likes, clothing scheme, dislikes and personality. All the while, I scheme new ideas for new species, character-types, and I can roleplay, which I like doing too, by the way.

My family was postive about it. Yes, they think I'm weird. I kind of am, I have aspergers which is a type of autism. My mannerisms, likes, dislikes, preferences, and way of expression are quite odd. Even my speech and the words I use. This hobby is really, no surprise. I've dabbled in it since I was younger, without knowing it. I've always like anthropromorphic animals as well as feral animals. I just loved animals as a kid. I've always had pets. Every furry has some type of a pet I've noticed, whether it be a bird, rat, cat, lizard or something like that. If they don't currently, they're getting one or they used to, lol.

My family promotes it because they know I'm an artist and that's just what I do and I'm darn good at it too.

Now, sadly, not all of them want me showing up to places in my fursuit, if I ask about it. Usually, its to experiment with people's reactions. I like to see how people react, while giving them something to react to, especially if I can roleplay as someone else. It's fun and artistic in a way, to be honest. Its an art form of sorts! Certain individuals of my family love me and all, but they do really think I am odd. They don't look down on me for it, but they do deem some of these requests as too odd or embarrassing for their preference so I have very few that will let me follow them into stores with my fursuit on for their entertainment. They get shy and embarrassed or they don't have time to play around, they're in the store and out and onto the next errand and they need my sane help, lol. Which, I also understand. Not all of my family can have fun sometimes, they're too stressed or older people and they need my alertness for their companionship. With a fursuit head on, no, my vision is limited and I'm not as alert as I could be if I wasn't wearing a head. All in all, they are awed at my talent and knack for creating such amazing feats, regardless of their comfort level. They can't lie, they pretty much like what I do from an artistic standpoint.

Reactions have been pretty entertaining for me, as the fursuiter. I try not to be mean and scare people. I don't want people to forever dislike mascots or cartoon animals walking around at the supermarket. I like them, they're not bad. Not all of them. So I try to pick and choose the reactions worth pursuing. If a child is scared, I take note of that and move on, walk away, maybe act scared or shy myself and walk away. I dunno, it might make the kid curious.

I had one case of a girl that was scared of me when I got to close, but she was so curious, she talked her grandma into finding me again and I got close. She shied and I realized she wanted to just think about me from a distance. Which was fine.

You can get laughs, "Wow's." "what is that?!", "Whaaat?!" "What in the-" "This is amazing!" "Can I have a picture?!" "Do that again!" "Why?" and so many more.

To be honest, I'm weird enough, I don't care if the reaction is positive or negative, I like what I do enough not to care.

Some of my friends are so busy being embarrassed, they don't understand how I can't be for myself. Why would I be? I'm acting! Besides, I AM official weird, its in the doctor's documents, what do i have to lose?! I got this! I'm a natural ;D

I have surprised myself with this new hobby. I didn't think I could produce something like a fursuit. I was wrong. This hobby has helped me feel more confident in other areas, to be truly honest, especially with my self-esteem. Not so much acting out in public or getting out of my comfort zone(Yes it has helped that some) but i know I CAN DO IT! I've struggled with my abilities as an artist for years and i realize, I can venture outside the comfort zone and I just might find out, I can extend my hand ever so further with something else I might like.

I've even talked so enthusiastically about fursuiting, I've got friends my age hooked on fursuiters, furry cons, and getting their own suit and characters going. I must say, the fandom is addicting! So much fun! Such a great playground! A great place to play, create, express, and share interests. It's costuming dream come true!

A fursuit is a costume, yes. Nothing less, nothing more. How people view that is going to be totally different than you. I don't think of myself as a "furry." I don't relate to the word in anyway on a personal level. I kinda grew up with a bad outlook on the fandom so I just never attached  to the word. My view on it is completely different now, but I will not refer to myself as a "Furry."

If other people call me that, well, I do fursuit and that is what I am to the general public. I'm all right with that, there's no avoiding that. You won't even see me call myself "furry." I'm a costumer or a cosplayer. Fursuiter is the closest I get to the word, "Furry." Those are just the words I've used for years before I found out I AM technically what you call a "Furry" from the standpoint of the fandom.

Got into an argument with another furry about how I HAD to call myself one. I do not. The word is subjective. So subjective not every fursuiter sees it the same way. That means, I can totally not see it to mean anything to me, right? Yes? Okay, lol! I don't remember there being a rule about what it means as far as lifestyles go.

Anyways, that's my two cents about it. The ultimate WOW costume. Yeah, you'll get "Wow's" all right, lol!
Jesus is King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:08:33 am »
when my brother asked why i want a fursuit (mom just accepted it and dad is out of the picture)
i looked at him as seriously as i could manage and spoke as seriously toned as possible "because i want to see if national enquirer will come down here looking for bunsquache (a myth i was planning on starting) when i go running around in the woods"

but if i was being serious, i would have told him it was because i loved to dance, but i hate dancing in front of people, but i don't mind if no one knows it is me.
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Chiscringle

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
I like critters and I like being critters.  I also like trying out new acts and behaviors so every so often I try to get a new suit and a new character to try.  Started with a quad because I loved the idea of getting really deep into the cat behavior.  I'm currently working on my character of Daria because I want to learn more about female behavior, expectations and so on.

As for the questions:

Why do you want a fursuit? - Pretty much answered that.  Next one's going to be a straight up anthro full so I can try the classical derpy fursuiter behavior.

Have you had difficulty in telling your friends/family you want a fursuit? - No.  Mom thought they looked silly until she saw Clockwork Creature and then really wanted it.  Everyone else thought it was cool except one friend who is afraid of furries.

Do your friends/family already know you want one or suspect that you want one? - Already pretty much answered.  Dad doesn't know because he'd ask so many questions. 

If you do have one, then have they seen it. If so, how have they reacted to it, either positively or negatively? - My sis is also afraid of fursuits but we don't talk much so it's OK.

What do your friends/family think of fursuits? - My mom's and her best friend are two of my best quadsuit handlers.
My quad: Thrakmon

Wizard lynx: Loramendi

Main furry story: Kindle Store

FA: Chiscringle