Author Topic: Larping in Fursuit?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Calvin_Fox

• Female
Larping in Fursuit?
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »
Hello,
So in about ten days im going to a larp, and im heavily considering going as my fursona for my new character. im a little bit nervous because the mask is resin based, but i know people at the larp are generally respectful, and im not going to be charging face-first into battle...
But i was wondering if anyone had any prior experience to larping in fursuit and could give me some tips and suggestions on what to do. it will be a several day event with shared cabins, and in case it rains or something i have a back up tail, face paint and clip on ears i can use insead of getting my partial soaking wet, the reason im not using them all weekend is because they really arent that great (rather poorly made) and really wont help with the immersion experience (in other words, back up, worst case scenario only).
But yha, any stories youve had with larping and suggestions for me are welcome!
I envy normal man, yet i do not wish to be him....

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Larping in Fursuit?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:10:30 pm »
Moved to Fursuiting forum from the GFD forum as the topic is better suited here.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:54 pm »
I used to go to LARPing fairly often. To be honest, I wouldn't wear one myself. The LARPs I went to were very muddy, and wet, and the air stank of wood smoke from the bonfires. People fall over, and I had to run a lot, and wearing a suit seems like it would be weighty and make you overheat more than normal. Not to mention the chances it would get damaged. And even if it didn't, it would have to be cleaned afterwards...
Most people wore masks and paws, and occasionally a short tail, rather than an actual well-made partial. I never saw anyone in a full suit.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Calvin_Fox

• Female
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:57 pm »
the place i go to i find is relatively clean as far as larp grounds go, its not muddy, its rather dry, and i will be using a tail and pair of fingerless sleevless gloves for paws, really i only have the mask, and due to a recent foot injury i wont be running much or going into the woods or dealing with Mods too much, im even thinking of getting a non combat band...
I envy normal man, yet i do not wish to be him....

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:34 am »
No experience but this is one of my dreams
I love role play :)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »
What's Larping?

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:20:53 pm »
LARP is live action role play. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LARP
Essentially you dress up as your character and act out what they would do in real life. The LARPs I've gone to have taken place over a weekend with people being in character the entire time, and have involved several hundred people.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:37 am »
I wore a partial to a larping event once, and my expirience wasn't bad per say. As long as you take the proper precautions it shouldn't be bad, I would recommend bring some emergency fur cleaner just in case.

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 01:59:20 am »
Seems as though it'd be a bit cumbersome (more so do to proportions) while charging into the field of heated battle...
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 10:29:21 am »
Did some LARP at the local Renaissance Festival in my fox partial. Made several dogs bark. Not a long walk to where I parked, so I could leave to get Gatorade or sit inside with the AC cranked up.

"Renard"
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 05:09:18 pm »
GOBLINS FTW!!! i always go into battle with my face covered, and wearing ragged clothes, with as much skin covered as possible.  its the voice and fighting style that brings it all together.  you should see our weapons too, they look like their made of scrap metal!  THE GOBLINS WILL TRIUMPH OVER THE ARROGANT HUMAN SCUMBAGS!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:58:10 pm by Trenyth »

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
I ran rpgs years ago based on the ICE or MERP games. Found them to allow more creativity.  And a lot cheaper than buying 1000 books with 10,000 rules in each one. All my games were played at a table. So when I read your post my first thoughts were,
"Outdoors? Running threw a muddy field? I really feel sorry for the guy who has to carry the table."

All kidding aside ( actually that was my first thought.....) I did a Youtube search. Man that looks like a lot of fun! I'd have to agree though that wearing a full body suit would hinder your play.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jorinda

• Female
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:48:31 am »
Several LARPers told me they don't like seeing fursuits at LARP events. Furusiters tend to have limited field of sight, so you have to watch out for them in a battle and always be careful around them. This annoys everyone.