Too hot.
3 (17.6%)
Too uncomfortable.
1 (5.9%)
Too expensive.
7 (41.2%)
Fursuits are scary/creepy looking.
1 (5.9%)
It's silly or stupid to be dressing up as an animal.
0 (0%)
Other option. Please explain.
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Do you dislike/hate fursuits?  (Read 8490 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Do you dislike/hate fursuits?
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »
There's a lot of people in the furry fandom who either love making fursuits, wear them, buy them, etc.  Got to admit, a fursuit is cute, cuddly, soft, etc. :)

But........there's also people in the fandom who don't like fursuits for various reasons. If you're one of those people, then why? Why don't you like fursuits? What is your reasoning?

Offline Natura Wolf

Re: Do you dislike/hate fursuits?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 02:31:45 am »
My only concern with fursuiting is society and their understanding.
I am self-conscious

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:15:36 am »
I love fursuits  (:
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:29:03 am »
You're missing the 'i love fursuits*' options xP (*at least the good ones)
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
I love fursuits too ^^

Offline Huskywolf

• Male
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »
I'm sensitive to heat, there expensive, I'm a closet fur, my parents would call me retarded.......and even after all those......I still really really really really.....dream of having one!!!  :D  it would make me the happiest husky ever  (:  in time and space history..... :o    And this move to Fort Worth texas, happening in a few weeks for a period of 4 years could be my chance..........#determinedhuskyisdetermined     
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:41:55 pm by Huskywolf »

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »
I like well made fursuits. But I am really fussy about them. If they don't meet my standards of what it good, I dislike them. I don't really have a middle ground, sadly.

Even with well made suits, I dislike the price and the temperature. I'm currently unemployed, so buying food is touch some months. And I overheat in winter just wearing jeans and a tank top, so I think I would boil alive in a suit XD

I'd still like a suit. But my partner doesn't like them, and realistically I will never be able to justify that much money on myself.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Earth Rio

• Female
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:36:34 am »
I like fursuits, yes, but I wouldn't wear them often. People here can be extremely judgemental of furs, so I'd probably be mocked for it.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:44 pm »
Not that I hate them but I bothered by the expense and to much attention in the fandom.

I see the expense, complexity and  attention they get an unnecessary a barrier  to creativity in the fandom. Yes we see  a lot of good fursuits but how may  are created by individuals for example

We have here a picture of six fursuits; now how many makers are present, six, three two? The answer is only the person in the center who created the other five.  Compared this to Multi genre where many fan created costumes.

my poor Hello Kitty confused as a Ghost.

In other conventions  there are panels how to make a good  inexpensive cosplay costume. There a panel on fan made cheap fursuits are non existent if one excludes ears and tails.   The question is  in regards  to costuming are we become a fandom creativity or a fashion statement like a Hollywood  event celebrity dropping names: were we go around say Oh I am wearing A fur happening or he wearing a commission by joserfur.

Offline Chiscringle

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »
I would love to try a $1.98 panel at a furry con.
My quad: Thrakmon

Wizard lynx: Loramendi

Main furry story: Kindle Store

FA: Chiscringle

Offline Jackie

• Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 07:11:44 am »
I have seen a lot of furs posting, (Including myself) how cool it would be to be an anthro for a while, and i just thought, isn't that what fursuiting is partly about? I mean it allows you to be an anthro for as long as you wear it and it's fun, also i love the way that someone can be having a really bad day and they get surprised by a fursuiter and BOOM! they get cheered up!
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline SPark

• Female
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:19 pm »
If you  hate fursuits, you might be in the wrong place.

Just sayin'.

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:10:58 pm »
I like fursuits, I kinda want one, but don't know where I would ever wear it.  I don't really go to cons or anything where it would be appropriate.  If I'm gonna be spending money and time making one, I'd want to be able to use it!

I see the expense, complexity and  attention they get an unnecessary a barrier  to creativity in the fandom. Yes we see  a lot of good fursuits but how may  are created by individuals for example

We have here a picture of six fursuits; now how many makers are present, six, three two? The answer is only the person in the center who created the other five.  Compared this to Multi genre where many fan created costumes.

In other conventions  there are panels how to make a good  inexpensive cosplay costume. There a panel on fan made cheap fursuits are non existent if one excludes ears and tails.   The question is  in regards  to costuming are we become a fandom creativity or a fashion statement like a Hollywood  event celebrity dropping names: were we go around say Oh I am wearing A fur happening or he wearing a commission by joserfur.

I wouldn't have guessed one maker since all the suits display different styles and skill levels.  It looks like a meet of suits from at least two different years, kudos to the maker for making that much improvment.  Any idea who the maker is?
While I agree there are a few suit makers who are a bit over-represented in photos (a quick browsing of the fursuit tag on deviantart and fursuit parade videos show much, much more variety in makers than fursuiting blogs), I don't think it's really all that fair to compare them to other costumes as far as the 'handmade-ness' of them.  Making a fursuit is a bit less intuitive than average cosplay, since cosplay generally can involve common items of clothing and fabric.  Faux fur can be a bit tricky to buy if you don't know where to look or what to get, and can be difficult to work with.  It also tends to be pretty pricey if you want to get anything decent.  The most prominent feature of a fursuit is a mask which can be hard to figure out where to start with making it and what materials to use.
Also I know many, many cosplayers outsource some of the parts that required more specialized skills like wigs, weapons, and masks, as well as buy articles of clothing from places like thrift shops and the internet to either alter or work into a character outfit, accessioning it with maybe some home-made trinkets (I'm guessing this is what the middle guys did to a certain degree).  I'm not by any means saying they're lazier than fursuit makers or don't work as hard or as long, but a fursuit is probably way more intimidating to approach than the average cosplay.
Basically, they're just expensive and complicated to make.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline onai

• Rawr. That is all.
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:00:49 pm »
I like fursuits, I kinda want one, but don't know where I would ever wear it.  I don't really go to cons or anything where it would be appropriate.  If I'm gonna be spending money and time making one, I'd want to be able to use it!

I wouldn't have guessed one maker since all the suits display different styles and skill levels.  It looks like a meet of suits from at least two different years, kudos to the maker for making that much improvment.  Any idea who the maker is?
While I agree there are a few suit makers who are a bit over-represented in photos (a quick browsing of the fursuit tag on deviantart and fursuit parade videos show much, much more variety in makers than fursuiting blogs), I don't think it's really all that fair to compare them to other costumes as far as the 'handmade-ness' of them.  Making a fursuit is a bit less intuitive than average cosplay, since cosplay generally can involve common items of clothing and fabric.  Faux fur can be a bit tricky to buy if you don't know where to look or what to get, and can be difficult to work with.  It also tends to be pretty pricey if you want to get anything decent.  The most prominent feature of a fursuit is a mask which can be hard to figure out where to start with making it and what materials to use.
Also I know many, many cosplayers outsource some of the parts that required more specialized skills like wigs, weapons, and masks, as well as buy articles of clothing from places like thrift shops and the internet to either alter or work into a character outfit, accessioning it with maybe some home-made trinkets (I'm guessing this is what the middle guys did to a certain degree).  I'm not by any means saying they're lazier than fursuit makers or don't work as hard or as long, but a fursuit is probably way more intimidating to approach than the average cosplay.
Basically, they're just expensive and complicated to make.

The fursuits in that photo were made by at least 3 different makers. In the back row we have one who looks to be made by Syber (MadeFurYou), A Rarakie suit (Furgen), I'm not sure about the others however the builder in the center is Razzy Lee. She DID make the cat on the far right, however :)
www.furaffinity.net/user/onai <-- I be makin' fursuits. yar.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 11:52:34 pm »
I love fursuits ever since wearing the corporate mascot suits. Never thought I'd ever have one of my own. When I began researching, there were only a few makers online. Best price was about $1000 for a full fursuit with basic features. There were tutorials online, and I at least had some skills and most of the tools and materials. So I could at least build a partial suit.

Learned how to deal with heat issues through conditioning, hydration, and special equipment--like a cold vest. Suiting up for me is like an astronaut preparing for an EVA. Everything goes on in a certain sequence and must be functional for the mission to be a success.

It's to the point where I need to cover head-to-foot for a good night of sleep. If a mosquito gets into my room at night, it will be hard pressed to find bare skin to bite. It's worth the bother to make a 2-mile parade trot in 65F weather when kids shout for you and want a photo with you. They return the next year expecting to see you and civic groups want you to return as you're helping the event grow.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 05:15:28 am »
only problem i have with fursuits is the price and i still live with my parents (they still don't know im a furry) but i have been getting close to telling my mom but when every i get to the right moment to tell her she gets distracted by something else and the conversation ends
(this has happend 3 times -_- )

Offline Jackie

• Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 05:25:18 am »
only problem i have with fursuits is the price and i still live with my parents (they still don't know im a furry) but i have been getting close to telling my mom but when every i get to the right moment to tell her she gets distracted by something else and the conversation ends
(this has happend 3 times -_- )
As much as you may feel you need to tell your parents that you are a furry, you don't need to, If they don't understand then it will just complicate things for you. read here http://forums.furtopia.org/general-furry-discussion/why-the-need-to-tell-about-furry/