Author Topic: Metal Allergies  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
Metal Allergies
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:13 pm »
I'm considering trying my hand at making some metal collars. I'm most familiar with aircraft grade aluminum so that's what I was going to use, but while it's a lot stronger than "pure" or "normal" aluminum its also mixed with a lot of things. I know people tend to have reactions to Nickel and chromium, but are there any other alloy additives I should stay away from?
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
Re: Metal Allergies
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:28:27 pm »
I'm considering trying my hand at making some metal collars. I'm most familiar with aircraft grade aluminum so that's what I was going to use, but while it's a lot stronger than "pure" or "normal" aluminum its also mixed with a lot of things. I know people tend to have reactions to Nickel and chromium, but are there any other alloy additives I should stay away from?

You should make it out of Platinum-190, jokes aside my friend is allergic to some types of steels.
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:16:06 am »
did your neck turn green
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Mylo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:15 am »
did your neck turn green

No, it just got itchy.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:16 am »
I had the same issue with a lot of my piercings early on. All my body jewellery is made of surgical steel now. Other materials which tend not to cause allergy symptoms in people are yellow gold, pure sterling silver, copper, platinum, and titanium. if you make the main bulk of something out of a nickel-containing material, you could get it plated with something that is less likely to cause a reaction.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

• Male
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 02:29:11 pm »
Most of the 2024 and 7075 aluminum I work with is clad in zinc. I'm not sure how allergenic sink is, but the layer is very thin, so I'd be worried about it getting worn away. Not to mention any edges won't have the zinc coating either.

Precious metals are out. I don't have the $ to invest in them, and they won't have the look I want. Titanium is a possibility though, as soon as I figure out if I can bend it with the tools I have. I have yet to shove a piece through the rollers...

I also experimented with lining the collar. For hygiene and adhesion properties I tried Silicone (I used clear bathroom/kitchen caulk). I like the feel once the rubber looses its sticky-ness, but it can be a pain to work with (it's messy).

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:41:55 pm »
From what I can tell, zinc usually does not cause allergic reactions in people. There will be exceptions, but as a general rule it can be present in hypo-allergenic jewellery, so it is probably alright.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:58:14 am »
That wasnt nickle
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:35:36 am »
Mine would be copper. Although some metal leaves my skin green but no signs of irritation.

Have you thought about lining the back? A good heavy weight all cotton canvas would keep the metal from skin contact.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

• Male
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 06:54:17 am »
Yes, but if I were to use cloth as a lining I would need to figure out a way for it to be removable, since the lining would need to be washed. Cloth traps dead skin cells and moisture and I wouldn't want it breeding bacteria.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:04 pm »
Didn't think about that. The neck is bad enough. Tuning someone's entire body green might be bad for return business. :3

What about plastic? It could be washed. Also more comfortable than having metal against you skin.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.