Author Topic: Your dream taxidermy animal  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
Your dream taxidermy animal
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:19:48 am »
Mine is a gray wolf (have no idea where I'd put it  :o ) and Red fox.
What's yours?

Offline HazardJackal

Re: Your dream taxidermy animal
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:26:10 am »
Frankly I find keeping a dead animal around like that rather depressing.  It just reminds me of death...

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 03:42:17 am »
um..... can some one keep firelight away from me since im a gray folf, i don't feel comfy now.....

and i don't like taxidermy.... it's just a little creepy having a dead thing staying around you....

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 04:16:58 am »
this but a larger animal  :)

on a side note, this shows why its a bad idea to taxidermy a human https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6S5amkCoyc
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:18:53 am by korvre »
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:41:00 am »
what the heck korvre my dad owns a small wear house over here in san jose and he rents it to the science museum over here. they use the building to fix/store those bodies. a creepy thing that happened tho was that one of their legs fell of during shipping and yet fixed it in the building my dad owns. so yay there are dead people in my dad's building......

just a interesting fact about human taxidermy and relation to my family.....

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:41:09 am »
I don't like taxidermy (because it means the animal was alive then hunted, killed and stuffed). Maybe just some cute little plushies instead :3

and Graywolf. That's kinda disturbing. I can understand it for science though. My science teacher made us watch some autopsies of cadavas - So I'm pretty desensitized about these things.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:45:55 am by Sciex »

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:50:19 pm »
I love collecting hides and pelts and bones and taxidermy stuff! I'd say a good 50%+ of my collection is from roadkill, and the rest of it is from wild caught stuff! No farmed pelts here :D. Standard disclaimer that I always try to acquire things as humanely and respectfully as I can, and keep things in good condition. I like using them for artistic/scientific/personal reference. The differences between different species and even individuals on the same species is awesome!

Currently I have two coyote pelts (one normal, one gorgeous cinnamon/red morph), a funky red colored bobcat, a ringtail cat, a golden island fox tail, a beaver pelt (so soft! my new fave), a horse tail, two soft-mounted skunks (lots of interesting variation between the patterns and fur textures!), an old mink that was reclaimed from a coat, a bobcat skull, a yearling buck skull, two coyote skulls (one nice, once old worn one I found when I was like 8), a hammerhead bat skull, a longnose gar skull, a pig tooth, a wolf tooth, numerous bird parts from family that hunts (quail, chuckar, pheasant, grouse, ducks, geese).

My crowning treasure of my collection though is my wolf hide! I bought him about a year ago for super cheap, since the person selling him was going to cut him up for scrap and sell him off piecemeal. The person they bought him from wasn't honest at all about his condition. He was horribly tanned, his fur is still greasy, he's stiff and crunchy, he's lost most of the fur on his muzzle and ears, he's got more than a few holes... I still like him though. I plan on saving up to get him retanned eventually, just so I can safely have him out on display. Currently he's tucked away under my bed in some bags and a large tub since I don't want him to fall apart any more than he already is.

I also have a stuffed baby zebra! Well, he really isn't a zebra. It's a bunch of white goat hides cut apart and cleverly stitched together on a form and painted to look like a zebra :P. He's fun to have around, super old and vintage, the family I bought him from kept him around for 25 years, who knows how long their older relatives had him for. He's kinda cute, in that funky-looking glassy eyed vintage taxidermy way.

Edit: Forgot to add more things! I've got a turtle shell that's been modified into a little pouch lined with deer hide, I've got a super huge polished water buffalo horn, and then I've also got some little scraps of African animal hide that I got framed up all nice! Lion, leopard, Geoffrey's cat, impala, waterbuck, wildebeast, warthog, and zebra. It's so cool. Let me know if you guys want any pictures!

Edit edit: I also forgot that I have two ostrich eggs and a bunch of ostrich feathers from a local ostrich ranch. If anyone wants any ostrich products, get in touch because I can get them for cheap :P. I also have a rat skin and a few snake skins that I skinned and tanned myself somewhere, but I think they may have gotten lost in a move :(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:32:06 pm by Magna »

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »
I won't have a large collection since my foxbutt isn't fond of it, but I'd like to have some mustelids and raccoons.  I love looking at wolverines, so much variety, I want a few.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 10:47:57 pm »
There's an antique store in town that has a small black bear. About three feet high and four long. It's ok in a large room but would take up way to  much space in a house. I think mounted heads look great in the right setting. Not so good in my 1960's ranch.

As far as people jurkey goes? That's a bit creepy.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:46 pm »
OH! I got so excited talking about what I already had, I forgot to talk about what I wanted! :P

I'd love to get an otter pelt eventually, along with some fox pelts. Maybe some more skulls as well. A bear skull would be nice, but a bear pelt would be amazing! Same with buffalo horns. I'd love more horns in general actually, especially a nice huge pair of elk, caribou, or moose. More fish skulls or skeletons would be awesome.

Offline Nagi

• Species: Spider
  • I'm a spider now :3
  • Female
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:10:48 pm »
I love taxidermy but dont own much though. I do have a coyote skull my uncle gave me I love it. I'd love to get a wolf pelt. I've thought about getting my pets taxidermy like my beloved cat but im very emotional(like I spill milk and I cry) so I might cry every time I see her and end up abandon her cus I cant look at her. But im still not sure, plus my parents might feel uncomfortable(so are other people). Probably not though. Id love to have a fox though not picky on what kind.
Also I love skulls and they help with my art too. Ill take any skull, im creepy enough to take a human skull if offered(hope that didnt creep anybody out (: )
I really need to come here more often XP