Author Topic: Have you experienced a close lightening strik, floods or tornado?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
I thought it might be interesting to hear from others, and their
experiences with lightening and close strikes to their person. Also
floods and tornado's. Hurricanes too if you wish.

I had lightening strike a tree about 200ft from me many years ago.
fortunately I only had to deal with the loud thunder, and not
anything else. I made haste and got in my car.

Not very many people are hurt and or killed with  lightening every
year, but it  sure will get your attention when one comes close.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Have you experienced a close lightening strik, floods or tornado?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 02:28:13 pm »
Wildfire - No
Hurricane - No
Landslide/Mudslide - No
Tornado - No
Flood - Not exactly. The street I live on has been flooded at least 2 major times that I remember in the last 20 years. But the water height never necessitated me or others leaving our apt. building. And the water level dropped back down hours later.
Lightening - Only one time earlier this year I think, I was in the bathroom (Not on the toilet or in the shower.) and I heard a very loud crack of lightening. So loud and so close, I thought it had to be at least 1/4 mile in the vicinity of my apt. building.  :o Never did figure out exactly where it struck.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
Three instances with lightning and two with a tornado.

The first two lighting was at the house spent most of my childhood at. The first one I was outside next to a rock retaining wall. Lightning struck the wall about five feet from me. Nocking part of it down. Got my backside tanned for that. Couldn't convince my dad I wasn't climbing on it. History was against me. My brother and I had been caught climbing a few time. :) The second time I was in bed. I heard a very loud zapping noise. Saw what looked like heated embers falling outside a window. got up into the attic as quick as I could. Nothing. No sign of any damage on the roof from the outside either. The next day I learned at all the the electrical stuff in our neighbors house got burned out.

The third one is a bit of a mystery to me. Not really sure what happened. Was doing some yard work. It happened to be misting outside. One of those light drizzly gray days. All I remember was white. Didn't feel or hear anything. I found myself still standing there. Holding the shovel. Soaking wet. Like I'd been standing there for an hour or more in that light drizzle. My dog sitting in front of me looking up at me. Put the shovel down. Told Patches "we're going inside now" and that was that.

The first time with a tornado. We had just bought a trailer. It wasn't tide down or skirted yet. When the storm went through the trailer was rocking violently. Things falling off the walls and such. We didn't get any damage. Unfortunately not everyone faired as well.

I drove under the second tornado. Full funnel and not to far over my head.  Perhaps thirty to sixty feet or so. Still way to close. Traveling at 100+ in high winds to get under and away from it.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 08:17:25 pm »
Flood:  Yes.  In 2013, Colorado had something like 2 weeks of drizzly rains.  It caused some flooding in my area, taking a small ditch from a trickle maybe 6" deep, 18" wide, to a V-shape channel something about 20 feet deep and 20 feet wide on top. No joke.  It undermined soils near the little creek and took out homes and businesses.

Mudslide:  no.  but my parents had a small one blow past their front door in that same year

Rockslide: not me, but my parents were very close to being killed by one, but got up and left area just prior to it happening.

Earthquake: no

Hurricane / Typhoon: No

Tornado: Yes.  3 times.  All very weak.
Small F0 blew through a portion of Arkansas late at night when I was sleeping in a motor home.  almost toppled it over.  This was maybe 1998?  Can't remember.  What I do remember was listening to police scanner and hearing a report of a tree smashing a young man in a car as he drive down the road, killing him.

Small funnel cloud touching down near my home when I was very young. 

Small funnel cloud blowing through the town I live in now, without warning, this year in fact.

Lightening:
Oh heck yes! and a lot

Was 16 years old and was walking through a parking lot to get to my grandmothers apartment , and on a mostly cloudless day, BOOM, a bolt hit the light post near me, and I was about 10 feet away.  I felt nothing, except the shock wave.  My hearing was temporarily damaged from it and the flash was indeed blinding as well.

But perhaps the most lightning issues I have ever had were back in 2016.  I was at home, with dog Heidi, and the storms started.  It got so bad that at one point every 7 seconds, lightning was hitting something nearby.  Each time, the flash and boom were at same instant.  Power was going crazy and eventually went out.  All of my stuff was not damaged.  But for the first time in my life, I was actually afraid of dying by lightning strike.  It was relentless and lasted about 45 minutes with only a little rain.  The dog and I... stupidly.. burrowed into my bed for shelter and to stop some of the noise and light.  Looking back, it seems like a dream, but it was indeed real. The house was shaking like bombs were going off every time the lightning hit.  After the storm was out, there were many streets without power for days.

(P.S.  At that time I lived near high voltage power lines, and i think they were taking most of the hits, but not all! )
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 11:01:34 pm »
We had a thunderstorm come through two years ago on Father's Day while I was at the local airport. My sump pump failed and there was almost two feet of water in my basement. At least $200 of model rocketry supplies ruined.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:27:28 pm »
I've seen lightning go right by my window and into my neighbors power box and it exploded and burned down the house and I expirenced a storm so bad it blew over our trailer
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 10:49:05 pm »
I've seen lightning go right by my window and into my neighbors power box and it exploded and burned down the house and I experienced a storm so bad it blew over our trailer
Dang dog!  It is like an action movie sequence!

Spoiler: show
Tangent alert:
(I had a neighbors house burn partly down, but she was out prostituting for heroin and she left food cooking and the aluminum pot boiled dry and melted and molten metal burned the kitchen to a crisp.  Good thing she put her 3 sons in the care of her crack-head sister that day.  No lightning there)
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:19:16 pm »
No hurricanes where I am thankfully. But I feel sorry for those who live in Florida right now with Hurricane Dorian bearing down on them. :(  I really hope people heed warnings and leave. Your home, car, possessions can be rebuilt or replaced. You can't say the same for your own life.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 09:34:26 am »
Tyndall AFB, FL is still recovering from Hurricane Michael. Had a uncle who was stationed there.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline FarFar

• Species: Anthro Canine / Corgi
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:24:27 pm »
Hurricanes....no

Wildfire....no.

Mudslide...no.

Lightning strikes. A couple. Fortunately, nothing so close as to cause me any harm. Did feel the "tingling" right before they hit. Kinda spooky feeling.

Floods...a couple. Nothing life threatening but loss of inventory and income.

Tornado's....a few micro burst close to where I was at. Loud noise and vegetation flying everywhere.
I took the red pill...