Author Topic: Fursuit question  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Kubra

• Species: Wolf/Fox Cross
  • Free Hugs!
  • Female
Fursuit question
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:44 am »
hey there fellow furs! I have a question to ask.

I am a suiter that has some medical issues one of which is I suffer from seizures. I may be on an infusioin/insulin pump starting in January to infuse medication to help manage/combat the seizures. I will be suiting more once my suit comes and basically my question is should I carry a fanny type pack on  the outside of my suit and run the tubing for the pump  to the fanny pack by somehow snaking it out the suit, should I get a pocket made on the inside of my suit for me to put my pump in or should I find a way to clip it to me on the inside? I don't want to have to disconnect for too long or disconnect and encounter a seizure and don't have the fast acting medication.

Sorry if this seems complicated but was wondering if anyone had the same issue. Thanks

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Fursuit question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:38:47 am »
1. Are you wearing a full fursuit or a partial fursuit?
2. You say you might be getting this pump next year. Do you know how big it is? Is it light or heavy?

If you're wearing a full fursuit, I would strongly recommend NOT putting the pump inside the suit in any sort of pocket or other area. Full fursuits can be extremely hot. For example, if the weather temperature outside is 80 degrees, it can be 90-100 inside the suit. All the heat inside the suit might have an adverse effect on the pump/electrics (and/or medication being pumped into you) and may make it malfunction and stop working.
I think it would be highly preferable for you to wear one of those fanny type waist packs that you can wear on the outside of your suit. Any way to carry the pump on the outside of your suit is much more preferable than on the inside.

And even if you did have the pump inside the suit and it had a malfunction or you needed to get to it quick, then you have to consider the time and effort needed to get access to the inside of your suit to get to the pump. You'd have to take off your handpaws, take off your head (to see), then unzip your bodysuit, just to be able to get to the pump on the inside.
But by having the pump (and/or other stuff) on the outside of your suit, access is easier as all you have to do is take off your head and handpaws. You wouldn't have to worry about unzipping the bodysuit (unless there's some other reason you need to).

Only other issue I can see with having the pump on the outside of the suit is making sure it is well protected/packed so that it doesn't get damaged or something else happens to it.

I'm not really sure what else to say as I'm not familiar with your condition nor have I met any fursuiters in the past or present that have come close to having a condition like yours. It might also be a good idea to talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say as well. And if you're afraid of talking to your doctor about anything "furry", just tell him/her you're using the fursuit for other activities like parades, festivals, parties, etc. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:50:49 am by Kobuk »

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
To add to Kobuk, if you have a full suit or a partial that would cover any part you would need to inject, consider having a quick removal panel built in - I'm not sure how to do this, perhaps a velcro area that tears off? It would be something to talk to the builder about.. I would also recommend having a handler with you while suiting to assist you in at least removing parts, if not someone who is adept at administering medication.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »
After some Googling, I'm guessing you may get a pump like this (Below) or something similar? I wish I could give you more info. on whether suiting with something like this is good or bad. But, I don't know. I'd suggest talking to your doctor and/or try finding other fursuiters who might have the same or similar medical conditions for more advice.

Offline Kubra

• Species: Wolf/Fox Cross
  • Free Hugs!
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 03:06:46 pm »
very correct on the pump. had an apt with my doctor today and discussed this. he said that I'll be fine suiting in my full suit (its from furbuy). we'll just switch to injections for con weekends. make sure to monitor sugar levels closely though.

my fiance is a fellow nurse and furry as well, he'll be there with me in suit. we are working on some signals to use between each other while in suit to commuicate how I'm doing.

thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!!