Author Topic: Meditation  (Read 686 times)

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
Meditation
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:45:31 pm »
Recently I've been going through things that have stressed me out to no end. They're not really big things, but they're driving me crazy emotionally.
Most the people I know with these small problems either start drinking, or using some form of narcotic, legal or otherwise. And if they can't do that, then they have a therapist.
But I'm fundamentally against playing with my brain chemistry, and I'm not really on good terms with the medical industry. Having a therapist would probably piss me off more than help me, while draining my family of money.
So I've been researching meditation. I've tried it a couple times and it did help to calm me down. I've also heard of monks who are able to stop their hearts through meditation, though i probably don't want to do that, It'd be helpful to slow down every now and again.
I'm not really religious. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'd just like to know who else does stuff like that and what kind of effects it has.

Cheers ^^
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
Re: Meditation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:58:55 pm »
Hmm, well honestly, I have been wondering the same things about meditation. I have gone through many traumatic events in my life, and find myself so stressed that I have brutally vivid nightmares nearly every night and can't help but obsess about such violent things as zombies and corpses. I'm an artist, and a musician, and religious, and I can tell you from experience through all of those things you can reach a sort of meditation and peace, but I'm as curious as you about the actual thing. In any situation, it is a form of peace, I know that much. Lol..

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »
Usually when a person is tense and stressed, I've heard that the following may help:
* Massaging sore/aching muscles.
* Certain teas have a soothing/calming effect.
* Listening to relaxing music.
* Taking walks out in the woods or other secluded space.

Other than that, I have nothing else to offer. I know nothing about meditation and don't practice it.

Staff pre-emptive warning: The discussion, encouragement, etc. of hypnosis or trances (Whether used for meditation or not) is banned on Furtopia. Members who wish clarification on this can PM me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:12:42 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »
I started meditating when I was about 15 and went to martial arts lessons. I still do it every other night or so. It helps calm me down after a bad day and helps with my depression. I'm not religious in any way, shape or form, but it is a useful thing to be able to do. I find it helps put things in perspective.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:39:46 pm »
I've also found that drawing and stuff like that helps a lot. I used to play a lot of video games to sort of escape from reality but that's not really doing it for me anymore. I wish lucid dreaming was easier.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 09:17:20 pm »
I just seem to 'roll with the puches' everyday and distract myself, or listen to 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' from the Life of Brian. Is just flopping face first onto your bed and taking a nap like meditation almost? Or is crossing your legs in a pretzel and humming more of what you're saying? 
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »
I meditate a lot. I am a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, so Meditating is a big thing. It has nothing at all to do with religion. Heck, I'm atheist, but I meditate. It is a great thing to do when you are stressed out. Heck, drawing is a form of meditation, for it takes your mind of of things. What you should find is some really relaxing music, or maybe go out in nature, sit on a chair or bench and just let your mind go with the music/natural noise. It really helps if you do it regularly.

Just putting in my two-cents worth!
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!