Author Topic: What kind of languages do you speak?  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
Re: What kind of languages do you speak?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 07:17:46 am »
I speak English, a little German, and even littler Spanish and French. I understand all those languages far better than I speak them, though oddly not at the same time (eg I'll be watching Kommissar Rex when an ad comes on and everyone's suddenly speaking gibberish - then I realise the ads are actually in English x_x).

Offline Eddy

• Male
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 07:23:13 pm »
Apart from English, I'm able to speak French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, and Welsh although not fluently. Nevertheless, here's one way to make use of the Welsh language (take that for example): http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7409392

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 04:54:10 pm »
English

I wanted to learn German in high school, but my mother said it would be too difficult for me and she pressured me to take Spanish instead.  :P Now 20 years later, I've pretty much forgotten all the Spanish I've learned.

German is actually easier than other languages, if English is your first language. English has Germainic roots, so there are a ton of cognates
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:01 pm »
I only fully speak English. Yo hablo un poco espaniol. (I speak a little Spanish.) I really want to learn German. It sounds awesome when others speak it, and yes Kael is right. There are a lot of similarities between English and German. Unfortunately, my small town High School doesn't offer German. we used to offer French two years ago, but now there's only Spanish. :'( Maybe I can take German in college. :D
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »
I speak English, a little German, and even littler Spanish and French. I understand all those languages far better than I speak them, though oddly not at the same time (eg I'll be watching Kommissar Rex when an ad comes on and everyone's suddenly speaking gibberish - then I realise the ads are actually in English x_x).

I have a slightly similar problem.  When I hear a language I don't know, it sometimes sounds to me like a word salad of every language I *do* know, with a handful of random syllables thrown in.  For example, when I was learning South American countries and capitals in high school Spanish class, I initially heard "Caracas, Venezuela" as "Krawks us in escuelsa." (escuela -> Spanish for school).  The things I "hear" when I overhear a foreign language are similarly ridiculous.  Also, I'll sometimes be reading or listening to something that I think is in Spanish only to realize that it was actually in Portuguese.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline SuperBaz

• Male
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 03:09:20 pm »
In school, I was good at languages and bad at everything else.

Je suis toute bilingue entre anglais et français.  8)

English is my native language, I'm fluent in French, can speak enough Spanish to be functional, a tiny bit of Japanese and a tiny bit of Swedish.

Offline Tuulikel

• “With a rubber duck, one's never alone”
  • Female
    • Snow Masquerade - Twitter
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 08:07:33 pm »
Finnish is my mother tongue, I can speak English and I know a little Russian, French, Spanish, Swedish, Japanese, Estonia and German.

Mais je ne suis pas très bon à la langue и я хотел бы лучше. Förhoppningsvis, kan du fortfarande förstå mig.
I'm sorry, English is not my native language, but I'm doing my best and trying to get better.
https://twitter.com/Snowmasquerade

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 07:53:52 am »
Fruent Engrish is my native tongue (also sometimes known as Australian  (:)

but i have a question that i put forward on IRC a while ago...

HOW EASY IS ENGLISH AS A LANGUAGE TO LEARN?
I grew up around it so that doesn't count, but for all those who have learned it or are learning it as a second language. tell me, is it hard?
personally I'd say it's a pretty stupid language in a lot of ways with all the complicities.

Paws
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 02:54:10 am »
it's classified as a level 2 language, same level as german. Spanish and french are, i think, level ones, while Russian and Yiddish are level 3's. So not as hard as others, but definitely difficult.
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Neko13

• Female
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 01:54:46 am »
besides american. i was fluent in japanese but after not speaking it for 3.5 yrs im relearning some stuff

Offline Akita

• Life is one big playground enjoy it !
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 05:03:01 pm »
I'm Bi-lingual I mostly use English on the internet but when I'm away from the computer I have to revert to my native tongue.... Scottish.
Life will get you down at some point but there is always someone to lend you a paw.

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 07:04:35 pm »
American, a little bit o' queen's English, and a miniscule amount of mainland Chinese. :P
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline mica

• Male
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:23 pm »
I speak English and a good amount of Spanish.

Offline Saiyu

• Species: SkunKitty
  • OMG there's text here!
  • Female
    • Saiyu's commissions
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 05:17:11 am »
The only language I know is English! ...Sadly enough, I'm half white and half mexican >_> but my dad never taught me Spanish from a young age or anything. I also never really got to studying it in highschool. Lol, I fail :D! I probably know as much spanish as I know Japanese, and that's just a bit.

Would you like to stalk my DeviantArt
Or YouTube xD?

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 06:03:27 am »
I can only speak convict, unfortunately :P

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »
The only language I know is English! ...Sadly enough, I'm half white and half mexican >_> but my dad never taught me Spanish from a young age or anything. I also never really got to studying it in highschool. Lol, I fail :D! I probably know as much spanish as I know Japanese, and that's just a bit.

If you have the resources to do so, you might consider taking Spanish as a class at a community college.  This could be workable if you are in the workforce (take it as an evening class by itself) or are still in college (take it as an elective in whatever school you're attending).

Knowing any foreign language (especially a commonly used one such as Spanish) could be of value for future job searches, and it seems possible that Spanish in particular might have a special significance to you.

it's classified as a level 2 language, same level as german. Spanish and french are, i think, level ones, while Russian and Yiddish are level 3's. So not as hard as others, but definitely difficult.

Do you have a link to a website that discusses these "levels" you speak of?  I tried looking for such a site around the time you made that post, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for ("level" seemed to be used primarily for difficulty level *within* a language, for example Spanish II) and I forgot to ask about it since then.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!