Author Topic: Making the MLP subforum a full forum  (Read 8711 times)

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
Re: Making the MLP subforum a full forum
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:27 pm »
There are numerous ways, Kobuk, but the community groups are affected by the single way that the majority of users view topics. I'm guessing that most just browse the front page and ignore the community groups because they're stuck down the bottom like a footnote, past the support forums which most people won't check regularly or bother to look past.

And I'm guessing something about them is putting new members off posting there, since even in the MLP board most posts are made by the older members.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 01:40:58 am »
Another Brony checking in here. Pretty much what I would have said is already up on here, so I'll just reiterate a few things in case my opinion adds weight to any decision.

It doesn't matter to me if things are re-orginized, but  I think they work well as they are. My chain of forum checking events goes:

Check email notifications of watched topics and take care of any new posts/business in them
Check active topics link at the top for anything new and interesting
Scan to the bottom of the main page to double check the MLP AND tech talk boards to see if they're still bolded (I'm interested in both and occassionally will miss something in the active topics section)

The arguement of other child board threads being covered by MLP posts is pretty weak, at best. Not only is it easy to look for bolded child forum names on the main page, the MLP forum doesn't really have a ton of active topics. Sure, there are a ton of posts going on daily, but they are all mostly centered in two or three threads. So even if you rely only on the active topics link for monitoring new posts, there's no way any thread being buried could be blamed on just MLP posts since it only lists the threads and not individual posts. Even if a thread has 100 new replies since your last visit, the topic is still only listed once in the active topics.

You say the MLP sub-forum is getting a lot of activity, right? And the other sub-forums are kinda so-so.  :P If the MLP community is getting a large amount of traffic, then wouldn't it make sense to leave it where it is as it tends to act as the "anchor" so to speak for the whole Communities forum area? If we leave the MLP sub-forum where it is, then maybe people will take the time to browse/migrate from there to the other community sub-forums.
In other words, MLP tends to act as a sort of "lighthouse" or beacon for members to browse that community. And if members see the MLP community, they might take notice more of the other sub-forum communities like Furry Tech Talk, etc. and start posting there too.

Am I making any sense or did I lose you? Look at it this way. A lot of large shopping malls have what are called "anchor stores". These are large stores like Kohl's, JC Penny, Target, Sears, etc. at strategic places at the mall. And if shoppers browse those stores, then they might decide to stay long enough and continue browsing some of the smaller stores adjacent to the main anchor stores that are in the mall.

Have you actually looked at stats to see if this theory even holds true? I haven't, but here's my thoughts on the idea. I think the 4 community groups are so different that it's unlikely you'll get much, if any, cross pollenation between them as you suggest. So I don't think the MLP forum being down there is really much of an "anchor" as you put it.

I'm not opposed to a re-orginization, so long as it flows well. I think the way things are, are OK, but I can agree that there's always a better way.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:34 am »
The point isn't how it's possible to find topics within the lesser used sub-forums... The point is that people don't.  No one was attacking MLP or trying to put it in a negative light,  it was more to point out how it does overshadow the main method for seeing new topics from the front page. for /most users./

As was mentioned,  i browse the forum primarily through "recent posts," but i don't think the majority of people do that.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:06 am »
As i mentioned in the news thread i dread the idea of wanting to post something tech related because it would never see the front page for the constant onslaught of pony related posts.  in fact,  usually now i just don't.  Even if someone happend to wonder into the techboard and replied,  their reply would be covered up within 20 minites by the bronies.

I use the show unread posts link and it affects me when i want to post in the tech forum or food forum because most people don't use that link.  ^^;

... it was more to point out how it does overshadow the main method for seeing new topics from the front page. for /most users./

As was mentioned,  i browse the forum primarily through "recent posts," but i don't think the majority of people do that.

Then I guess you have me confused about what it is you're talking about with the other community group posts being hidden by MLP posts. When you mention viewing the "recent posts", are you talking about clicking the "Active Topics" link at the top of the forum pages? That's the only thing I can find remotely close to a recent post viewing page, and I've already adressed that as a non-issue IMHO due to the small number of actual active threads. Or are you talking about looking at the right of the forum's home page to the last posted topic column when you mentioned fearing your tech thread would never see the front page? There, a post is just as easily knocked off by a different topic as it is any other forum, and just a glance to the left will show if another community sub-forum is bolded.

I dunno, it sounds almost like you're looking at a page that shows you EVERY new post made, even if it means showing multiple ones in a single topic. If that's the case, then I would agree with you on the MLP forum affecting the other communities and the rest of the forums at large. Heck, even the word games section would be a forum flood. Only I've yet to see anything like that since I've been active here. Not trying to be argumenative, just confuzzled about what you mean apparently. >@.@<

And please don't think I'm trying to keep things as they are. I already said I'm open to a different layout.

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 04:17:55 am »
I think what Alsek means is that just because the forum is bolded, it may not catch user's attention, they'll just look past it and assume it's nothing within their interests. However a mention of a specific thread that may hold member's interests would be much more effective at boosting curiosity in the forum.

I think they should just be laid out like every other forum here, separated and clearly defined as more places to post in, not exclusive clubs/communities or lesser forums that aren't worth a spit to most members.

713229 Posts in 36103 Topics by 7029 Members. Latest Member: Doxthefox0
Latest Post: "Re: My Little Pony FiM M..." ( Today at 16:27:23 )
View the most recent posts on the forum.
<--- That's what Alsek is probably using. A lack of knowledge of it being there somewhat shows what I was saying about people not paying much attention to the bottom of the front page where these boards are kept.
[More Stats]

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 09:04:04 am »
Ah, ok. You're probably right. I looked at that link in the stats and that sounds like what he may be looking at. Even knowing it's there, it isn't something I'd prefer to use because it would be too hard for me to maintain continuity of the various threads being talked about.  x_x

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »
The biggest advantage I see is that there will be a single thread 'featured' for each community group, via the most recent post listed on the right. So it would at least offer some manner of easy exposure to all members of the forums, in case something there grabs their eye. As it is now, the most recent post listed for the entire community groups section is almost always a pony post. However, I also feel like those interested in the various community group topics will likely monitor those topics, if they find them.

Which brings me to my main point: I feel like they biggest issue here isn't how the forums are or can be checked for new posts, or even the format of the community groups board itself. It's most likely the overall location. It's an after-thought. Heck, it's below The Basement! I realize the community groups are (mostly) a bit more removed from the topic of Furry, so it makes sense to have them posted in a secondary position. But I think they might be buried a bit too far currently. Regardless of changing the format, I think the biggest help to these sections could be to stick them between the Games and Technical Support.  If people want/need technical support, they'll find the board for it (and near the bottom of any website/forum is usually the first place one would look for such a thing).

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:07 pm »
I agree with most of what Saloonka said. I'm going to assume here, but I assume that many of the members just browse the front page :P

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:08 pm »
I'm one of those front page only people myself
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
My experience has been that guests tend to click on the
recent posts that are shown on the right side of the board.
I am not sure about most members, but I use it quite often.

So if we can do something to give each  board that exposure
the threads therein would get a bit more attention.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:32:41 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:37 pm »
Just for your information, staff is currently discussing the subforums.  We'll let you know soon what happens :)
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 11:01:48 pm »
I just refreshed the page and was all O.O
Looks good guys. I think it should work out nicely.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.