Author Topic: A sad day for the fandom. FCN closing.  (Read 2650 times)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
A sad day for the fandom. FCN closing.
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: A sad day for the fandom. FCN closing.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:36:44 pm »
It'll no longer exist by the old name, but The Motor City Furry Con is basically stepping up in its place. From what I gather, it sounds like the people running FCN were probably done running it, and they also were having difficulty handling the rapid growth of the con. It's likely that all their stuff was bought out by the new people running... MCC? MCF? MCFC? What do we shorten it to? I think I like MCFC best.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »
I'd seen info on the new con. Didn't know it was created because of the closing of FCN. My biggest concern about the new con is it's time slot being if Feb. That's not travel friendly month in the upper mid west. You can check out the link below and see what the weather's been like.

SORRY this added because my information was wrong. FCN was held in April. The con I got mixed up with is Great Lakes Fur Con. http://greatlakesfurcon.com/ It's this con that will be held in Feb. Sorry about the CON fusion....

http://weather.org/weatherorg_records_and_averages.htm

Just got done reading from a link https://www.furaffinity.net/journal/5031014/ given within the discussion that Indyfurcon has thought about moving to fill the less congested time slot left by FCN's closing. Or move it to spring. Just a discussion, nothing set. Also mentioned is the new furcon here in St. Louis will also be held in the spring time. Both cons would be real close in time to other large conventions. There's a big Scifi convention here in St. Louis really close in date to GatewayFurMeet. http://gatewayfurmeet.org/.

The comments left in the closing announcement tend to agree with what you said. Seems they grew to big and got to rowdy.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:25:00 pm by cause the rat »
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:31:30 pm »
It was my understanding that FCN ended because they only planned to do 5 cons, plus much of the staff decided to retire at the same time. They did not wish to announce that 2013 would be the final year in part because the hotel staff tends to treat you differently if you're not repeat business.

I too am concerned about travel conditions for GLFC as there have been heavy snows on or near that weekend. Also the same weekend as Almacon. We note that Whovians from Ontario attend Almacon, and FCN.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline WildbillTX

• Where's the BBQ?
  • Male
    • My FA Page.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:19:56 am »
Well thats good news, I was disappointed when I read the news about FCN shutting down.

I hope GLFC and MCFC are successful conventions.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:06:48 am »
I heard they just didn't want to run it anymore
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline WildbillTX

• Where's the BBQ?
  • Male
    • My FA Page.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:14:22 am »
I heard they just didn't want to run it anymore

I read Gir's explanation on FCN's website, and it sounded like FCN was a victim of it's success. They wanted FCN to be a regional convention, but attendance grew quickly every year because of all the word of mouth in the fandom.

FCN probably couldn't afford giving sponsors free food and drinks and keep that close-knit party atmosphere if the attendance kept growing and growing. They'd have to eventually move out of the Sheraton Novi, which was a great and friendly hotel to us furs. FCN would have wound up being another furry convention and not the special event they intended it to be.