Author Topic: What is happening to the fandom  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
What is happening to the fandom
« on: October 09, 2015, 04:32:10 pm »
First Okacon get canceled  https://www.flayrah.com/6238/oklacon-canceled-2015-more-likely-permanently Now  Rainfurest has to send a letter  https://www.rainfurrest.org/2016/index.php/2015/10/05/a-letter-to-our-attendees/ and now must look  for a new hotel. (Personally do not know they can recover)

In all cases  in is the misconduct  of a few is the root cause . Some are think  the fandom cause act badly in public or  on hotel property.  The question is what can we do?  One thing I see on flayrah is we need to stop making excuses  for bad behavior that make us look bad to the hotel and public. 

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: What is happening to the fandom
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:15:13 pm »
None of that seems surprising. I've been in the fandom since 2003 and I've heard about a lot worse.  :P Vandalism, Inappropriate behavior, etc. is nothing new. It's gonna happen at just about any gathering whether it's a furry convention, baseball game at a stadium, or any other large event. What can we do? Just keep being more vigilant and reporting the issues. The first line of defense is not the convention organisers, hotel staff, or the Police. The first line of defense is the attendees. Keep your eyes and ears open and report anything that is inappropriate. It's a shame that the majority of the innocent have to suffer because of the actions of a few people.  :P  >:(
Like I said in another thread ages ago:

As soon as you set foot into the convention, you are an ambassador for your fandom and a newbie’s first impression will come from you, your behavior, and your personality. The same goes for the regular hotel guests that have no clue what furry is all about and are not involved in the con. Please try to make everyone feel welcome.