Author Topic: Holt5's Artwork  (Read 33885 times)

Offline Holt5

• Species: Artistic theologian-philosopher
  • Male
    • My home base!
Re: Holt5's Artwork
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 03:29:49 am »
Why do I sense a rabbit revolution coming?  :o

*prepares to fortify defenses*  :D

:D I will be including other animals eventually, but right now I'm mostly focusing on a handful of characters to get them fleshed out. These ones are actually part of a bigger group, which includes raccoons and otters so far.

These are really good! I especially like your group picture ^-^
Thank you very much!

Nice artwork, good work with the action too. :orbunny:

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
Thank you - glad the motion-capture looks good!
"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline CatDetective

• Species: Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 09:21:31 pm »
I love those battle-ready rabbits!

I'm also digging that series of Redwall sketches, the style just draws my attention for some reason, and the vibe they give off is really great. I'm not actually familiar with the Redwall books-- I think one of my siblings has read a few, though, since I do remember seeing them with things checked out from the library, once upon a time...

The Ratchet and Clank picture had some good atmosphere to it, as well.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your art with us!

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 07:24:34 am »
I love those battle-ready rabbits!

I'm also digging that series of Redwall sketches, the style just draws my attention for some reason, and the vibe they give off is really great. I'm not actually familiar with the Redwall books-- I think one of my siblings has read a few, though, since I do remember seeing them with things checked out from the library, once upon a time...

The Ratchet and Clank picture had some good atmosphere to it, as well.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your art with us!

Much appreciated!  :D

Redwall definitely has an old story-book kind of feel to it, at least as I remember it, which was mostly brought out in the original illustrations. That's originally what I set out to emulate when I started drawing animal characters, so it's cool to hear that I'm on the right track. :) It's a very fun series: a bit repetitive in plot, but lots of interesting characters and battles. It's been years since reading any of them, but I can still attach names and events to each book. They're worth a look!

Thank you. :)

Thanks again, lol - it's a pleasure to chat with you (all)!
"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 12:33:15 pm »
Though the Redwall books were aimed at the younger set. I find they tell
fine tales of mice and other small animals.  Nothing like the stories of
knights, castles, and swordplay to inspire the imagination of anyone.

I look forward to more of your art. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 06:27:57 am »
Mow wabbits. huhuhuh!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 12:56:43 pm »
It's good to see rabbits who can protect themselves.  :D

Good work Holt  :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 08:12:55 am »
It's good to see rabbits who can protect themselves.  :D

Good work Holt  :orbunny:

Much obliged, Old Rabbit! (:

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 09:31:24 am »
A large horde of vermin - something you'd typically find in the Redwall universe!

Drawn in pencil and charcoal. Also got to use my new Tombow micro eraser, which was EXTREMELY helpful in achieving some of the highlights.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 12:20:31 pm »
Good job on the drawing Holt.

I always liked drawing with a pencil. Working with shading and highlights
to give the picture a more realistic look..

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:24:10 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 10:20:17 am »
Good job on the drawing Holt.

I always liked drawing with a pencil. Working with shading and highlights
to give the picture a more realistic look..

Many thanks.  (:

I'm starting to feel the same way about it! After looking up some tutorials on more realistic drawings I was able to adapt some of the techniques for newer pictures I've been working on, and it's turning out to be a lot more fun and more involved than anything I've done before.

Not sure if there are any Undertale fans here, but this is the most recent from that fanbase. If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend not looking. ;)
Spoiler: show

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 10:45:08 am »
Rabbits in HAZMAT suits!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 11:40:58 am »
Now that should keep them safe from biological attack, or spraying for fleas.  :D

Nice drawing. :orbunny:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:45:43 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »
I love Redwall art!  The one I like best is the one you did with the black/white negative where you did multiple species to show off your range of artistic ability.  The rabbit photos holding guns reminds me of some crazy computer CGI short where a bunch of rabbits were fighting with guns in the middle east.

I like traditional pen/paper art because that's what I'm most familiar with so I like the sketches because it shows your natural talent with your hands.  Keep it up!
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 04:49:42 am »

Now that should keep them safe from biological attack, or spraying for fleas.  :D

Nice drawing. :orbunny:

Gotta be prepared! Thanks. ;)

I love Redwall art!  The one I like best is the one you did with the black/white negative where you did multiple species to show off your range of artistic ability.  The rabbit photos holding guns reminds me of some crazy computer CGI short where a bunch of rabbits were fighting with guns in the middle east.

I like traditional pen/paper art because that's what I'm most familiar with so I like the sketches because it shows your natural talent with your hands.  Keep it up!

I'm thinking there may be a renewed surge in Redwall art in the coming months/years. There is a team of people working on a Redwall game right now actually - if you haven't heard already. :) There are a couple other games in development that have very similar concepts too.

Glad you like it! I don't do much of the negative style, but I think it's good to jump around and try different ideas: it helps with finding new styles and techniques, and then that leaves lots of different things to mix and match later on. The rabbit pictures are actually based largely on that animation - or rather the comic books that were published before it. xD It's actually one of my favorite shorts just because it is so crazy and different from a regular cartoon - like Redwall mixed with Call of Duty.

Traditional is definitely a good area to work in. I enjoy coloring with a computer's help, but trying to draw with one drives me insane, lol. Maybe I'll dabble in colored pencils, pastels, & crayons sometime, but I've never felt like I was good at adding color traditionally. Obviously that means I need to steer in that direction though! Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:51:33 am by Holt5 »

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:16 am »
Monochrome or colored? I'm not sure which one works best... Engagement photo/concept image of two characters in my comic-book-to-be: Rhodes and Lara.

Some Lackadaisy fan art. Young Mordecai.

And lastly - Master Korin from Dragonball Z!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 12:31:38 pm »
Monochrome or colored?

I like the colored better. :)

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 03:11:57 pm »
Hmmm...tough call.  I like the colored a lot, but the monochome version reminds me of wedding photos when couples want a black and white shot or two.  I guess it will come down to what works best for you comic book and what doesn't stick out like a sore thumb (one colored picture when the rest aren't, or vice versa).

On Redwall, certainly possible we could see more art if that game ever gets off the ground.  There's a lot of Redwall art already out there though, even before the game was brought to light.  It could rekindle a lost fire I suppose when the author died.  I was a mod of that official forum when it was all announced so I saw things come and go, but it didn't look like some of the recent stuff was going anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:14:16 pm by Chipper Blu-wolf »
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 05:56:19 pm »
I say ole chap, Jolly good work.   As the Hares of the Redwall stories would say.  :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 03:32:00 am »
Monochrome or colored?

I like the colored better. :)
Awesome - thanks for the feedback!

Hmmm...tough call.  I like the colored a lot, but the monochome version reminds me of wedding photos when couples want a black and white shot or two.  I guess it will come down to what works best for you comic book and what doesn't stick out like a sore thumb (one colored picture when the rest aren't, or vice versa).

On Redwall, certainly possible we could see more art if that game ever gets off the ground.  There's a lot of Redwall art already out there though, even before the game was brought to light.  It could rekindle a lost fire I suppose when the author died.  I was a mod of that official forum when it was all announced so I saw things come and go, but it didn't look like some of the recent stuff was going anywhere.

Hmm, yeah kinda what what I was thinking - different versions would suit different moods or styles. Thanks for the feedback!

Oh definitely! I think new Redwall art was just starting to decrease in number when I joined a fangroup for the books, back in 2008 maybe? But it brought out a lot of good stuff in any case. That forum wouldn't happen to have been Redwall Wiki would it? That's basically where I met all of my online friends. I do remember there were a few attempts at making a Redwall game while Jacques was still alive, but most of them appeared to be hoaxes.

I say ole chap, Jolly good work.   As the Hares of the Redwall stories would say.  :orbunny:

Thankee, gud zur! (Of course, mole speech.)

Offline TempleofDogs

• Species: Ursus , Canis , Aves , Bos, Felidae, etc; shifter.
  • I'm not what you want.
    • Dogs shop
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 09:34:27 pm »
These are SO great!!

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2016, 11:35:09 am »
These are SO great!!

Thank you so much!

Here's some Toothless the Nightfury.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 12:42:00 pm »
There is a creature who would give you a chill if not expected.

That drawing turned out nice. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:06 am »

There is a creature who would give you a chill if not expected.

That drawing turned out nice. :orbunny:

Thank you very much, Old Rabbit!  :)

Tried my hand at some American badger...

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2016, 10:25:45 am »
You did well with the feral drawing of a Badger. They are bad tempered
creatures. Not afraid to use tooth and claw.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 05:43:20 am »
You did well with the feral drawing of a Badger. They are bad tempered
creatures. Not afraid to use tooth and claw.

Thank you much!

This is a request from Wildhead for a story he's working on.

Also a gift-art for Peter the PTSD Awareness Penguin, which can be found on Facebook.