Author Topic: How I came to admire Fursuiters  (Read 6225 times)

Offline Kyvr

• Male
How I came to admire Fursuiters
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:20:38 am »
A little personal story I would like to share:

My journey into the furry fandom was a long journey. It was in the 1990s when my obsession with werewolves influenced my internet searches and I came across the furry fandom. I always admired the art and stories that came from the anthro world, even though where I lived there was no local furry community. My contact was limited by the internet technology at the time: my poor family wasn't going to shill out top dollar a month for a 1 to 3 hour window of internet time.

As I went to college in the early 2000s, and the internet became a larger and more diverse place (not to mention cheaper and more accessable) I learned of the larger furry community that was growing. Still, I lived in an area that was not very cosmopolitan and thus never, to this day, have met other furry in real life (at least one that is open about it). This was also the time I learnt about fursuiters.

I hate to admit it but my first reaction was "Really? What losers. I mean it's one thing to like art and stuff, but dress up and pretend, come on." Now, to my credit, I never trolled or insulted anyone particular, but I always would agree with my friends that fursuiters were too weird, strange, and had personal problems.

Then one day I was just browsing around and I caught a youtube video of a fursuit (a wolf) surrounded by a crowd at a con doing multiple backflips. I was impressed. I couldn't do a backflip (I'm overweight), and it was hard enough for someone to do multiple backflips in sequence- yet here was this guy doing it in a heavy, movement and sight restricting fursuit. Well from there I began to look at other videos, mostly of fursuiters doing impressive acrobatics, but also doing funny things and acting cute. I began to admire them, and also become envious.

Now these days I defend fursuiters, even though I never met one in real life (as far as I know). It's funny because I also admire cosplayers and other geeky artists who sink their heart and soul into their creations to express something they love.

My friends are always asking me when I'm going to get my fursuit whenever the topic of furries rears its head. I don't plan on getting on one anytime soon (I couldn't afford one to begin with), but I always joke thay "Hey, it would be a great way to lose weight." Even my non-furry friends agree to that.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Re: How I came to admire Fursuiters
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:11:53 am »
Fursuiters are the knights of the fandom, in most cases.

I find the lady fursuiters to be an amazing group. Because in an era where women try to draw attention to themselves by wearing less and showing more, the female fursuiter distinguishes herself by covering up and baring little but her personality.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Starla

• Female
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
Fursuiters are the knights of the fandom, in most cases.

I find the lady fursuiters to be an amazing group. Because in an era where women try to draw attention to themselves by wearing less and showing more, the female fursuiter distinguishes herself by covering up and baring little but her personality.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:30:39 am »
Getting into a fursuit is a lot like getting into a space suit in that there is a certain order to follow for things to look and work properly. There are also similar issues to be dealt with, like hydration, heat, mobility, dexterity, etc. You may have challenges handling objects with padded paw-gloves, think of the Apollo astronaut: Every time he closes his hand in a fully inflated pressure suit, it's like squeezing a tennis ball.

So I'm playing astronaut whenever fursuiting.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:58:44 am »
you must really like space Coyote ^^ i mean relating a fursuit to a space suit is just kinda funny. but ya i can see what you mean that the suits can be annoying. good thing i can stand heat very well so once i get one it will not bother me ^^

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:02 pm »
you must really like space Coyote ^^ i mean relating a fursuit to a space suit is just kinda funny. but ya i can see what you mean that the suits can be annoying. good thing i can stand heat very well so once i get one it will not bother me ^^

Astronauts wear a special garment that has cooling water circulating through it. The same technology was applied for soldiers serving in hot areas. Now something similar is being offered for fursuiters/mascots.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline The Rockin Hyena

• Male
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »
I recently saw a female Fursuiter on YouTube, she was doing a dance video and she couldn't dance a lick!  I admire her for that, it took a lot of guts to do that and then post it for everyone to see.  She will do very well in the world of fursuiting.

Offline the lone shadow wolf

• Species: eurasion wolf with a little silver fox
  • dont mind me just telecomuting from the darkness
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
cause they do practicly everything they are the main highlight of the furry universe
videos, interviews, art, hugs :), they do it all  :D
other people at the convention are having fun but the suiters are the ones that really show what they got
they seem to be the ones having the most fun showing what they truly are inside expressing themselves in their most liked way staying true to themselves and partying out

and that is what is the coolest thing about fursuiters 8) :goldgrin:
I will see you all soon
in the future :goldgrin:

if you wish to find me elsewere look here
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theloneshadowwolf/

check out my latest art here V
http://forums.furtopia.org/artwork-techniques-tutorials/the-lone-shadow-wolf-will-improve!/50/

Offline The Rockin Hyena

• Male
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:35:23 pm »
cause they do practicly everything they are the main highlight of the furry universe
other people at the convention are having fun but the suiters are the ones that really show what they got
they seem to be the ones having the most fun showing what they truly are inside expressing themselves in their most liked way staying true to themselves and partying out

.                    Well said! You get a Hyena stamp of approval on that one, lol.

Offline the lone shadow wolf

• Species: eurasion wolf with a little silver fox
  • dont mind me just telecomuting from the darkness
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:41:02 pm »

.                    Well said! You get a Hyena stamp of approval on that one, lol.

uh uh oh oh my god im flipping out (:
this is so awesome  :D

you know how you feel dull sometimes and things don't get done well

cause after listening to rock music load and cool I just get filled with daring (or something that compels you) then everything just comes out so true and well said like up above :) :D
I will see you all soon
in the future :goldgrin:

if you wish to find me elsewere look here
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theloneshadowwolf/

check out my latest art here V
http://forums.furtopia.org/artwork-techniques-tutorials/the-lone-shadow-wolf-will-improve!/50/

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 12:29:05 am »
cause after listening to rock music load and cool I just get filled with daring (or something that compels you) then everything just comes out so true and well said like up above :) :D
I just found out that I like rock music :P (I searched it on YouTube since I wasn't sure what it sounded like)

Edit: I like some rock :P
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:37:53 am by Sciex »

Offline The Rockin Hyena

• Male
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:55 pm »
I just found out that I like rock music :P (I searched it on YouTube since I wasn't sure what it sounded like)

Edit: I like some rock :P
.       Try AC/DC, Van Halen, Quiet Riot 'Metal Health', Collective Soul 'Heavy', and of course the bestest rock band of all time, Deaf Leopard
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:14:21 pm by The Rockin Hyena »

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 10:13:18 am »
Ok, thanks. I'll try listening to those tommorow. I better go to bed now (well.. turn off my tablet and fall asleep) :P

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 12:29:48 am »
great the way you put it
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Rocoro

• Species: Dhole
  • Dhole dog. Google it.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 02:27:04 pm »
It's almost impossible to interact and/or do complex tasks while inside of one. You think fursuiters have some kind of control, but they really don't. A buddy of mine just got a partial and he explains just how complex it is. Imagine a whole suit! I give dibs to them
ROCORO