Author Topic: Five Night's At Freddy's  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
Five Night's At Freddy's
« on: November 27, 2014, 01:48:21 pm »
Hello folks. You may be aware of the series called Five Nights at Freddy's, since it's so popular. What are your thoughts on the games? Do you like it or do you hate it? Me, I love the series. I can understand why some people don't like the series because it relies on using jumpscares to get you, but playing the game puts you on edge because you know it could all end at any second with one wrong move. And that's why I like it. That and the lore behind the series. I'm real big on the lore that surrounds videogames. Anyway, share your thoughts.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
Re: Five Night's At Freddy's
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »
Never played the series but I have read the tvtropes page. The lore behind the series intrigues me but it doesn't really seem like the kind of game I'd enjoy. Plus killer animatronic animals don't carry the creep factor for me that they do for others. I've collected electronic pets since the late 90s. I see pictures of the FNAF critters and I tend to think "cool" rather than "get it away" And Mangle's back story in particular just makes me feel bad for the poor thing. So to sum it up I think it's a cool concept but as games go I prefer hack and slash dungeon crawlers and beat em' ups to survival horror but if they ever make it into a movie I'm so there.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 02:44:48 am »
Love the lore, hate the game.

-Foxy is literally the only reason to look at the cameras.
-The entire game, other than Foxy running, is still images (which is sort of genius from a programming standpoint, but still lazy), and it just gets boring after you know what to expect.
-The sequel was super rushed and even more lazy, with the music box.
-The sequel is random, it's possible to die and have absolutely nothing you can do about it (which is not good game design, see above).
-The sequel is also entirely still images, even if its coming in towards you, they're still images. At least the first one had Foxy running down the hallway.

Love love love love love the lore, cannot stand the games.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
Love the lore, hate the game.

-Foxy is literally the only reason to look at the cameras.
-The entire game, other than Foxy running, is still images (which is sort of genius from a programming standpoint, but still lazy), and it just gets boring after you know what to expect.
-The sequel was super rushed and even more lazy, with the music box.
-The sequel is random, it's possible to die and have absolutely nothing you can do about it (which is not good game design, see above).
-The sequel is also entirely still images, even if its coming in towards you, they're still images. At least the first one had Foxy running down the hallway.

Love love love love love the lore, cannot stand the games.

I do agree with you on the fact that the second game is rushed. It was supposed to come out next year, but was released two or three months before it was supposed to? I still kinda like the game, despite it being released before it was supposed to. And I don't think it's random as to when you die, it's just that the game difficulty increase is different from the first game, and the pattern of the animatronics are different (in some aspects) than the patterns of the last game. That can be a bit hard to get used to. I too love the lore, especially behind Mangle. But I don't particularly like the whole thing of the Puppet being behind this whole thing. It sounds stupid. The Puppet isn't even mentioned in the first game, much less the Toy animatronics, so why is the Puppet given such a large role in one game, but never mentioned in the first game? It's just really annoying....
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Wereaibo

• Male
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:50:21 am »
Because the Puppet is creepier than all the other animatronics combined. Basically an evil clown. I'm surprised he never mentions anything about how "we all float down here" before he does his thing. Creepy animatronic animals? Hey, to me they're kinda cute. Bring em' on! Creepy clown? Kill it with fire! Or better yet nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:21:10 am »
I totally agree that the Puppet is creepy. As a person who is afraid of clowns, he is definitely scary, but--to me--he's not the ringleader of the whole group. However, I accept the fact that people like to theorize that he is.
--Mewtwo

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:03:52 am »
Played the first one before I read anything about it, but I'm not easily startled and just got really, really bored. I can understand the appeal for people who are affected by that kind of thing but if you're not it's just a long time spent lazily clicking on things.

Didn't know there was a sequel.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:12:11 am »
Yeah, the sequel was supposed to come out next year, but it came out early for some reason
--Mewtwo

Offline Wereaibo

• Male
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:28:55 pm »
From what I've read the games rely primarily on jump scares for it's horror. Probably the laziest way there is to scare people. Most people will jump if something jumps in their face and makes a loud sound. But the games have all the ingredients for a truly pants crapping experience. The lore behind it is pretty good. The enemy characters are well designed and creepy. But they kind of took the lazy route. It'd make a great game if done right and it'd probably make a pretty good horror flick. But from all I've read the actual game is just you stuck in a room pressing buttons and staring at images.