Author Topic: Furry discrimination....  (Read 6621 times)

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
Furry discrimination....
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »
Hey, out of curiosity I was just wondering what kind of discrimination people think there would be in a furry universe?

Do you think there would be Omnivore/Carnivore/Herbivore clashes of opinion? Discrimination between different species of the same genus, such as polar bears and black bears? Or do you like to imagine that this world would be much more peaceful than most would imagine?

Thanks! ^_^
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline phinox

• Species: Red Dragon (Venia)
  • Male
Re: Furry discrimination....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:33:09 pm »
Hey, out of curiosity I was just wondering what kind of discrimination people think there would be in a furry universe?

Do you think there would be Omnivore/Carnivore/Herbivore clashes of opinion? Discrimination between different species of the same genus, such as polar bears and black bears? Or do you like to imagine that this world would be much more peaceful than most would imagine?

Thanks! ^_^

Hopefully more peaceful than this one but most likely not. Look at wolves (my species :)) there is always fighting in packs. But there would be a bit more harmony…maybe?
Cyfarchion o Gymru - Greeting from Wales!

Picture of 'sona by Pix

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:09:41 pm »
I think this would be up to the individual anthology created by the furry. Everything from simple class/race to culture or even more diverse situations.  We are talking about fantasy realms created by some of the most creative people alive right? Your bound to come up with anything. Or some with none at all.

Of my world. Yes there is discrimination. ( a religion based society )

The Tiger Nation as spoken against the Rat Nation. Right from the Rat Nation's creation. Citing the rats were created on a place called 'Twisted Rock'. A place were the very immortal that inspired the heretic slaughtered thousands in an attempt to kill Death Gate ( Eho, the immortal Horse ). Calling the creation of the Rat Nation a mistake by the Particle itself. "Nothing that could be born of that soil could be worth living." The Tiger Nation also claims the rats do not contribute to The Way. Therefor  the rats are nothing more than users and vermin. Two of the three immortal Tigers, Silven and Silver, have spoken against this movement. Citing "The Particle makes no mistakes . Or we would have to consider our own creation a mistake." The third immortal Tiger  Jade, has continued her effort to keep Tap on Rue a xenophobic  wold.  She claims the Rat Nation is exposing  Tap on Rue to the 'out worlders'.  Jade has publicly denounced the Rat Nation's 'Bringing Understanding between all words and ours" as nothing more than brining destruction to Tap on Rue.

I can go on. But you get the idea. To give a back story would be to recite about 20 years of Tap on Rue history. ( Yes, I've been a furry for quite some time. ) My point here is discrimination could exist in any form. Based on the creator of the persona's would itself. 

It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »
Cats vs. dogs. It'll never end.  :P

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:06 pm »
It could be bad. If every animal is sapient the carnivores would have to commit murder to live. Wars between carnivores and herbivores would be never ending. But then if only some animals were sapient and others had the mentality of normal animals the anthros might have a more peaceful society than we humans do now. Or it could be a lot like normal society.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Species: Red Fox
  • Your friendly neighborhood Red Fox! :)
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:20:30 am »
Foxes would have no credibility, because they're already stereotyped as sluts and so no one takes us seriously. :(
Normal people look at things that are and ask, "Why?"
True innovators look at things that aren't and ask, "Why not?"

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:29:23 am »
Foxes would have no credibility, because they're already stereotyped as sluts and so no one takes us seriously. :(
Yea.. dem foxes.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 03:31:20 am »
Well, i've been working on this RP world of mine, Teriak, for some time now, and this ("food crisis") is a problem that i've yet to entirely overcome.  First off, a large number of animals don't exist in any form, so that rules out most all prey animals.  The races that currently inhabit Teriak are as follows.

Kelm: Foxes and Jackals
Kyso: Bats
Vuline: Deer
Slake: Newts and Salamanders
Rell: Wolves and Coyotes
Durig: Badgers and Wolverines
Skim: Weasels, Ferrets, and Otters
Mezok: Monitor Lizards
Kobold: Anoles
Gnari: Hyenas
Narrka: Pangolins
Thrull: Raccoons
Ban: Bears
Verlash: Rats, Opossums

All races are considered sentient and (somewhat) equal, so cannibalism is more than frowned upon.  Of course, i'm still looking for a solution to the whole "lack of food" issue, but hey, one step a a time, right?

(And if you're wondering how deer are able to survive in a world like this?  They're carnivorous and plant life is sacred to their rather extreme religion.)

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Species: Werecoon
  • The wind can't blow without having a scent
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 11:47:37 am »
Yeah thrills :3 🐾
With my Mother's Love and Wisdom and my Father's Strength and Discipline... This I Will Defend...

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Male
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 01:33:22 pm »
Oh... :o

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 10:12:22 pm »
If every animal is sapient the carnivores would have to commit murder to live.
Why? Not all meat comes from dead, non-sapient animals. Some of it comes from live, sapient ones:

penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/10/17/im-not-entirely-sure-he-knows-what-that-is

Yes, this is actually a thing. Some of you were no doubt better off not knowing that. Sorry.

Offline Wildhead_the_fox

• Male
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 10:41:51 pm »
Yea... Thaaaaaannnnnkksss. :o x_x.  0-0

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 09:02:33 am »
If every animal is sapient the carnivores would have to commit murder to live.
Why? Not all meat comes from dead, non-sapient animals. Some of it comes from live, sapient ones:

penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/10/17/im-not-entirely-sure-he-knows-what-that-is

Yes, this is actually a thing. Some of you were no doubt better off not knowing that. Sorry.

Thanks for refreshing those memories from Junior High Health Class... :o :D
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 11:33:33 am »
I think I'd just starve.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Shiru_Da_Koon

• Species: Werecoon
  • The wind can't blow without having a scent
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 12:48:05 am »
I get to live the life feeding off of everyone's trash :3 go thrulls haha xD
With my Mother's Love and Wisdom and my Father's Strength and Discipline... This I Will Defend...

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »
Foxpup, you just created a new thing for me to discriminate against.  :D
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 12:14:38 am »
Well, i've been working on this RP world of mine, Teriak, for some time now, and this ("food crisis") is a problem that i've yet to entirely overcome.  First off, a large number of animals don't exist in any form, so that rules out most all prey animals.  The races that currently inhabit Teriak are as follows.

Kelm: Foxes and Jackals
Kyso: Bats
Vuline: Deer
Slake: Newts and Salamanders
Rell: Wolves and Coyotes
Durig: Badgers and Wolverines
Skim: Weasels, Ferrets, and Otters
Mezok: Monitor Lizards
Kobold: Anoles
Gnari: Hyenas
Narrka: Pangolins
Thrull: Raccoons
Ban: Bears
Verlash: Rats, Opossums

All races are considered sentient and (somewhat) equal, so cannibalism is more than frowned upon.  Of course, i'm still looking for a solution to the whole "lack of food" issue, but hey, one step a a time, right?

(And if you're wondering how deer are able to survive in a world like this?  They're carnivorous and plant life is sacred to their rather extreme religion.)
Already posted this, so i figure i may as well post an update.  I did a rough overview of the races and how they are viewed by the general population.

Kelm: Baseline. Expected to be middle or higher class.
Rell: Like Kelm, but expected to be a little more brutal. Expected to be working to high class.
Thrull: Sometimes seen as gullible. Seen in a similar light to Kelm and Rell. Expected to be middle class.
Skim: Viewed with more suspicion than most other races. Sometimes expected to be violent. Expected to be of working or higher class.
Durig: Expected to be more hands-on and industrial than other races. Expected to be working class.
Gnari: Often seen as brutal and savage, sometimes even primitive. Expected to be lower or working class.
Ban: Sometimes seen as dim-witted and/or crude. Expected to be working class.
Verlash: Rarely trusted in whole, and avoided by most. Almost always seen as lower class, regardless of actual standing.
Kyso: Rarely trusted and viewed with great suspicion. Seen as lower class.
Vorik: Bull-headed and easy to con. Expected to be working class.
Slake: Viewed with great suspicion.  Seen as lower class.
Gisk: Same as Slake.
Kobold: Rarely trusted.  Always seen as lower class, regardless of actual standing.
Mezok: Viewed with suspicion and expected to be violent.  Most are fearful of Mezok.
Boros: Unknown to most, so seen as suspicious and intimidating.  Those who have heard of Boros see them as hard-working and vigilant.  Seen as working to higher class.
Narrka: Unknown to most, so seen as suspicious.  Those who have heard about Narrka are greatly fearful of them.
Vuline: Same as Narrka, but even less known about.

(Added in a few newcomers: Boros are elephants, Vorik are boars and pigs, and Gisk are frogs and toads.)

Still doesn't helpme much as far as the food crisis goes, but hey, trees are edible, right?  (Spoiler: NO)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 05:08:59 pm »
HazardJackal, really depends on if you looking for a new tension or to easel what's there. You could introduce livestock. Or even protein base plants like soy. Ease the tension by distributing different things across most of the races. Or create more tension by keeping the skill needed to rase food among a few races.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:59:46 pm »
Living things have to eat wither they fly, swim, walk on 2 legs or 4.  So an all enclusive universe would have
serious problems. Some can't live on vegetation so one can't move to make all creatures vegetarians. We
would have to leave fish or another creature in the wild catagory or some would just starve.

Presumably this world would be advanced so perhaps they would have a way to grow animal protein for
those who need it.

Another problem is reproduction. Many animals have high reproductive rates for survival as a species.  So they would need to be genetically changed or the world would be buried in living creatures.
oldrabbit.com

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 06:58:44 pm »
I'd imagine there'd be a some tension between the cold and warm-blooded animals...  I mean seriously, would you trust a salamander with soulless, empty black eyes?

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 08:38:11 pm »
I'd imagine there'd be a some tension between the cold and warm-blooded animals...  I mean seriously, would you trust a salamander with soulless, empty black eyes?

ah, but you could save hundreds switching to....  :D

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 01:19:00 pm »
Even in a furry world it's likely there would be discrimination unless we can change the way
people think. Seems for one reason or another people want to place blame for their problems
on others, whereas that usually leads to racial/species problems and cultural disputes.

Of course due to natural instincts animals generally are very discriminating toward those of other
species. Though when animals of different species grow up together they sometimes get along
fairly well.  Makes one wonder even in the animal world parents teach their young to not associate
with certain others instead of it being an instinctual thing. Though I had a dog who hadn't seen a
bear in her life, but somehow she knew it was dangerous when she first saw a live one through a
closed glass window.

Some think that animals have better social values than humans do.  I rather doubt if they do,
studies have shown greed and dominance is a survival instinct in animals as well as man. Accually
man is more likely to give his/her food or home to a needy person than a animal would.

Of course this is likely due to animals survival instinct overwhelming it's desire to be social. Though
some canines will give food to a needy mate or family member.

Then many animals aren't social by nature.  The Lion is the most social of the normally antisocial cat
family. Where as the canine family tends to be social to a fault. Generally though vegitarians tend to
be more social than carnivores. Though I think social interaction in animals is more likely learned instead
of being all instinctual.  I had a cat once who had grown up with a dog, he acted more like a dog than
a cat. So he obviously learned some of the social habits of his dog mentor.

Still it's nice to see creatures that arn't out to destroy their enviroment due to it's greed, but only
to live as nature intended. :orbunny:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:57:09 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Weirdwolf

• Species: Eudyptula minor (fairy [little] penguin)
  • Call me Cookie! X3
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 09:08:48 pm »
Hmm... Interesting. I'm actually writing a book involving furries where this is one of the main topics. I tackle it more as a species-oriented issue, where some species are discriminated upon each in their own unique way. For example, to call an avian a crow is highly offensive, and even describing any species by its actual species name (i.e., calling a cat a cat, or a dog a dog, etc.) is seen as discriminatory (I use it as a message on political correctness, mainly). It's used to show how such things as political correctness would be used in a world populated by anthropomorphic animals. In-story, even though everyone is based on different animals, they all see their species as more of social classes in order to make the people in this world feel less split based on what they look like.
Dare to be all that you can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wTWWjYTe1I

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 01:07:54 pm »
Locked due to gravediggin.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#