Author Topic: So....what do I need?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Aurora

• Math skunk approves of this!!
So....what do I need?
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:23:26 am »
Ok guy's here's one for you all.

This furry has allways been a Window's user but after a lengthy series of events I found just why people hate Vista, to be perfectly honest I've hated Window's and PC's for a long time but this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

An Apple is out of the question, I've used them and they really arn't what I need in a computer.

So.... what do I need?

One of the options I've thought about is buying (at some point) an Old Amiga...mainly because their all purpose computers and fairly easy to get my paws on. But, I have almost no knloadge on how a computer system really works. yeah, I'm the one who thinks CD goes in, screen lights up. the only reason why this is a problem is that computers like he Amiga are very knoladge bassed in the fact the user has to know all the terms and what is required otherwise it's pointless getting one (i.e Accellorator boards, graphics cards, PAL...all that stuff).

So... is there any help for a technicly challenged skunk out there?

EDIT/UPDATE:

Ok after a talk with a really kind tech support guy I've found out that the sort I'm looking for is a SAM440EP-FLEX complete system with a matching wirelss card, or..... i can get a A1200 unit with a rediculusly priced accellorator board just to make it go a wireless card, a lower version of the OS and many many more products that cost a lot of money. .... i think it's obvious which one i'm going to get.

this brings it's overall price to about £708.74 ($1,171.38)

so does anyone have this sytem and any advice about it?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:43:09 am by Aurora »

Sig by Wales's own Baako ^^

previously FurFoxart, now Aurora ^^

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: So....what do I need?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:50:37 am »
I can't help you, yet, as I don't really know anything about that system.  I'm asking around some other places to see if anybody might have experience with this sort of system, so when I hear back, I'll relay whatever info I get back to you.

First glance though, it looks like an awful lot of money for such a system. Just strictly looking at the components that machine has, it's way overpriced.  I could build a system with much better components for half that price. Only question then is what OS do you put on it.

Anyhow, I'll be back (hopefully soon) to update you on what input I find from other sources.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Aurora

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:22:48 pm »
...Only question then is what OS do you put on it...

it comes built in with the with the newest Amiga OS, the Amiga  OS-4.1 and yeah it's a little over priced but it's practicly a fool proof system and compaired to my bug filled current PC running Vista it cost a LOT less
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:24:42 pm by Aurora »

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:33:55 pm »
How does it cost less? o.o I can't work that one out >.>
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Aurora

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:31:13 pm »
my current PC including the fetures you NEEDED just to make the damn thing worth using came to over a grand

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 08:13:04 pm »
my current PC including the fetures you NEEDED just to make the damn thing worth using came to over a grand

But you've already bought that system. Why not just put a different OS on that?

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:11 am »
Perhaps computer parts are just more expensive to buy in the UK.  This past summer, I built my parents a really strong system for about $800, including the cost of a copy of Vista and a monitor.  Core-component cost would have only been about $450.

Oh, and when I said something about what OS to put on, I was referring to if you had one custom built for you (or of you did it yourself: would be a great way to gain some understanding of computers, too).  If you were to do it this way, I'd suggest trying it with one of the more user-friendly versions of Linux. Most (if not all) versions of Linux are free, which would add to the savings of building your own computer.

I just don't know anything about the Amiga OS. No clue how user-friendly it is, how compatible it would be with other applications, etc.  I do know that user-friendly versions of Linux exist. Though it would likely have the same compatibility issues.  But it seems that it would save you some money.  I'll do a little more research yet and see what I turn up.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 08:52:33 pm »
Perhaps computer parts are just more expensive to buy in the UK.
They are: I've seen some European sites: often they are absurdly marked up over their American counterparts, charging up to 250% of the cost of the American sites. (more common markups range from 125% to 200%)
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:23:35 pm »
£1:$1 I always say for the UK in the pc parts market.

I was thinking other OS thing. Thought if it's the Amiga OS Aurora likes then they'll have to pay for the equipment for it. It's not like you can install it on traditional hardware to the best of my knowledge.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Aurora

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:01:40 pm »
£1:$1 I always say for the UK in the pc parts market.

I was thinking other OS thing. Thought if it's the Amiga OS Aurora likes then they'll have to pay for the equipment for it. It's not like you can install it on traditional hardware to the best of my knowledge.

there is AROS which is an Amiga-ish OS available for free download onto any PC capable of running linux but i've looked into it and to be honest it looks more like i'd be downgrading by getting it...

I am thinking of just getting a new OS but as Weisseman said it's vertually impossible to get an Amiga OS to run on a standard computer, so i would need to get the hardware too.

SIDE NOTE:

Amiga very recently had something happen that has oppend up a lot more oppertunities...possible even to start making much more advanced OS's and Hardware, so it may be worth waiting to see if it becomes a bigger competitor in the home computer market

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »
Sorry it's been so long... been pretty busy as of late and haven't been able to get on here so much lately.

Anyhow... it seems that the Amiga is probably your best bet for having something that will work out of the box without running Windows or Mac. That is, if the practically archaic specs of the machine don't scare you off (this was my hang-up when I saw it the first time). But if it's selling with those specs, the OS probably doesn't require anything more than that, so it should run fine.

Your other option would be to go with a Linux system (Ubuntu seems to be favored for those who are less computer-savvy).  You can just install it and use it without much complex setup.  Sure, you could get a better deal going this route, but you'd have to build or have somebody build the system and install the OS and such. And I would also fear that some adjustments in it wouldn't be as easy as I might think they would be.

So yeah... it sounds like the Amiga might just be the right fit for you, really. Let us know what you decide. And if you get the Amiga, let us know how it is, as it seems that none of us know much about it at this point.