Author Topic: VGA cable length  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
VGA cable length
« on: November 07, 2009, 05:41:11 pm »
I'm looking to run a longer than normal length of VGA cable. I'm running 6ft each from 2 laptops to a single powered VGA switcher, and then looking at about 40ft from the switcher to a projector. Would I need to worry about signal loss over that long of a distance? I'm not thinking I will for that kind of run, but wanting to make sure before I get to my gig at MFF.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
Re: VGA cable length
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:30:35 pm »
Hmm...well, it does carry an analogue signal, so there probably would be some signal loss, especially if you ran it along side power cables, or other cables that carry a charge. But, it shouldn't be very noticable. I'd go for a HDMI lead if the ports were available, but a VGA lead would be fine if not.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 07:36:30 pm »
One laptop and the projector have DVI ports, and one laptop has HDMI. I know I could get converters to make those work, but that's just more money for likely no noticable benefit since the projector is 1024X768 resolution. Just the cables alone would cost an extra $65 plus more expensive switchers and adaptors. I guess I should have mentioned too that the 40 ft run would be several extender cables and not one single run most likely. I'm trying to find a single cable to use though.

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:08:26 pm »
One laptop and the projector have DVI ports, and one laptop has HDMI. I know I could get converters to make those work, but that's just more money for likely no noticable benefit since the projector is 1024X768 resolution. Just the cables alone would cost an extra $65 plus more expensive switchers and adaptors. I guess I should have mentioned too that the 40 ft run would be several extender cables and not one single run most likely. I'm trying to find a single cable to use though.

Heh, well, the difference probably wouldn't even be noticable to most people. If you're still worried about signal loss or interferene though, you could try getting a cable with some kind of shielding. Although, come to think of it, the difference then probably wouldn't even be noticable to most :p

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »
Since I've seen VGA cables at 25m (~82ft) I don't think signal loss is a problem if you get a good quality cable. Your more likely to lose signal in the switch and if you don't use a whole cable between the switch and laptop/projector. Every break in the cable can/will make signal lose. You can but DVI-HMDI cables but I suspect they'll be really expensive at the length you want.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 02:58:00 am »
Actually, THIS I think is what I'll get. Single triple shielded 50ft cable, and it's cheaper than several extension cables. Not to mention zero breaks like I'd see in the extensions. My switch is good, at least worked great when tested with a 6ft run to the projector, so I think all is good now. I didn't think to look online for longer cables until after my initial post, and had only seen 10ft lengths (either regular or extensions) in stores around me. The switch alone was a freakin' scavenger hunt. Best Buy sells one that requires a PS/2 mouse and keyboard for both it's power and you switch via hotkeys on the keyboard. I wasn't trying to control both from one keyboard and mouse and laptops of course don't have PS/2 ports, so that was out. Radio shack had splitters, but not switchers. They pointed me to a computer store on the other side of town (though closer to me), and turns out they had just started carrying them. They had a switch button on the unit, but also meant to be powered by PS/2 ports (a full KVM switch). It had an AC power port, but didn't come with one, so I then had to run to a Walmart down the street to get a universal power adaptor, but in the end I'm really pleased with it's switching. No flickering when you do it, just an instant switch.