Author Topic: Gaming computer  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
Gaming computer
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:46:00 am »
Does anyone a good gaming computer that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg
It needs to run scp to dayz. I'm trying to keep it under 400 dollars.
Or if anyone has really good instructions on building one then that might work. But it'd have to be very detailed.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: Gaming computer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:03:20 am »
Your only option for that price range would be something used. A decent gaming computer with a dedicated graphics card will run probably twice that much. I know a decent gaming laptop would start at US$1000, and a desktop would be cheaper for sure. The problem with getting something used at that price is you risk it being more or less obsolete already and I wouldn't expect much life out of it from a usability stand point. Typically "gaming computer" and "cheap" don't go together unless you have connections.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
Re: Gaming computer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:04:35 am »
Well, building one yourself will be, by far, the cheapest route to take. And should yield you a higher performance machine than anything you could buy pre-built. A mid-range price option would be to go somewhere like ibuypower, where you can specify all the components you want, but they send it to you already built.

If you build yourself, you can actually get away with closer to $550 for something that will run pretty strong. The biggest budget breaker (and gaming performance indicator) is the graphics card. You could skimp a bit on the graphics card for now, and then go back in a year or so and pick up a $200-300 graphics card to replace a lower-end model, and really boost your gaming performance.

I actually just found this, which looks to be a reasonable option at the $570 price point, already built: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4959029&Sku=C477-G1410

This all assumes you have a monitor you can use. If you need one of those, too, add $100-150 to the price.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.