Author Topic: Can a specific program be treated as audio input?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline WhiteStorm

Can a specific program be treated as audio input?
« on: December 22, 2012, 01:21:41 am »
For an easy example let's say foobar2000 (media player) is making noise on my computer. I want that noise (but not noises other programs may make) to be treated as microphone input, without literally having to play it out loud and put my microphone by speakers.

Anyone know a way to do this?
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
Re: Can a specific program be treated as audio input?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:21:31 am »
What operating system and sound driver are you using? Most modern ones allow you to mute other running applications, if not, you'll just have to not run noisy applications while recording. To record your sound card’s output directly instead of using a microphone (or the slightly more sensible alternative of plugging the sound card's Line Out into its own Line In), just select your sound card's Mixer/Monitor as your recording device.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:35:46 am »
It's on Win7 and looking at the driver apparently 'IDT High Definition audio CODEC' version: 6.10.0.6330

The trouble is that I actually want to have other things happening at the same time (so foobar goes to mic, other stuff goes to speakers), or I probably would have tried splicing some cheap headphone cables together and plugging it in output and input at the same time lol.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:05:32 pm »
The trouble is that I actually want to have other things happening at the same time (so foobar goes to mic, other stuff goes to speakers)
Not possible. You have to mute all applications you don't want recorded. Why is this a problem? What exactly are you trying to do?

or I probably would have tried splicing some cheap headphone cables together and plugging it in output and input at the same time lol.
You know you can just buy the appropriate cable, right? But in Windows 7, you just select "Microsoft Sound Mapper (Input)" as your recording device to record from the sound card's output. No need to mess about with cables. Not that that's at all useful if the problem is you need other programs making noise at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:14:05 pm by Foxpup »

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:41:20 am »
I'm attempting to play a game (hence sounds I would hear) while having <whatever media program> play <whatever media file> to the game as microphone input. It's mostly just for amusement, say when I want to play 'ride of the valkyries' from my aircraft or something.

Weirdly enough there is no 'microsoft sound mapper' in my list of recording devices anyway.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 07:21:37 am »
Oh. Yeah, I don't know of any way of doing that short of plugging an MP3 player or something into your sound card's Line In jack. Sorry.

Offline Amy

• A transsexual kitty ^-^
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 07:30:01 pm »
You could just use an editing program to mute the recorded sound, then add another audio track with the music on it. In fact, that's probably easier.

If I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, sorry. xP
Skype- amyandrews27

Furry Code

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 02:13:23 pm »
I ~believe~ there is a program called Virtual Audio Cable that does exactly this. I don't think it's free though, and I'm not sure how limited the trial version is

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 03:36:42 pm »
Hm... well, if there's a paid version, there's usually a similar open source thing out there somewhere. I'll have to go searching for a bit.