Author Topic: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SATA III MLC SSD  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SATA III MLC SSD
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:12:16 pm »
I've wanted a SSD since they first came out but wanted to wait for the tech to stabilize a bit. However I feel the time I now right to get one, as they've been out for a couple of years now. As the title says I'm planning to get the SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SATA III MLC Solid State Drive. Which is a fairly high end drive, with only a few others on equal tier with it in the SATA III category. The next step up the later in terms of speed would be a PCI-e SSD drive, however they cost $1,000+

I only plan to put my OS on it as well as my steam library. So it's perfect size with about 120GB's to spare for when I also buy some new games. Quality wise, they seem to be really nice, with only 15-25 people crying about it dieing in less then 1yr with about 230 or so people saying it's bloody amazing and haven't had a single problem with it. Now while I don't put a huge amount of stock in consumer reviews, I say that's a pretty good success rate. So any thought's as to this SSD drive versions others I've yet to look at the Crucial M4 and the Intel SSDs. I don't plan to get any drive that uses SandForce Controller however as majority of the SSD's with high death rates all seem to use SandForce.
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
Re: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SATA III MLC SSD
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:31:23 pm »
256GB OCZ Vertex 4 seems to beat it in real world test for a little bit more. I've gone with OCZ before and they've held up nicely. Moved off them though because they were too small. However I am impressed your steam library fits on there. I've got a 300gb Velociraptor (old but done well) and I can't fit 10% of my steam library on it. I'm moving upto 1tb velociraptor so I can fit a substantial amount on it for LAN gaming.

While SSD's are fast I don't like that fact they are so small. Sacrificing size for speed isn't something I'm willing to do. Especially since I can't see any real world benefit for me. Until SSD's size and price are similar to traditional I doubt I'll be getting another one.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
    • http://choky.furtopia.org/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:20 pm »
I dont know if it helps or not,but I have a Kingston 128GB SSD and it hasnt crapped out on me yet.
Dude,where my Furryness?
424 passed games on N64,PSX,DC,XB,PS2,GC & X360.(Last updated on 29/09/13)

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:36:07 pm »
I got the drive and I must say it's rather amazing, the only real trouble I had with it was it was a slight pain to fit into my hard drive rack mounts (my tower being a full ATX has sliding bays for HDD's) other than that it's nice and fast, also side not I've not had any of the so called speed degradation that everyone says it has despite next to no mentioning of it in the 300+ reviews on the store I got it from >w> so I'm starting to thing that's just brand biased. Oh well it's nice fairly good sized and works so I'm a happy wolf.
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru