Author Topic: What Computer shall I purchase?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
What Computer shall I purchase?
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:42 pm »
This is as much as a emotional matter as a physical one.

As a few people may know, the bulk of my current presence on furtopia is through borrowed laptops, Xbox Live, and whatnot. I'm saving up to buy a computer so I can keep on here more, keep in contact with people more, etc. I'm a bit peeved about this.

So, what is a good laptop, or netbook, that is within my price range of 150-350 dollars, and is not GIGANTIC (Need it to fit into a retrofitted binder that is 15 inches lengthwise)? Need some good suggestions.

Wrong forum? If it, someone move it please ^.^
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:09:21 pm by Arashi_Calunata »
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: What Computer shall I purchase?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:11:29 pm »
Moved from Life Problems forum to Tech Talk forum as the topic is better suited here.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:14:25 pm »
You just want to use it to check the Internet, right?  

At $150, you aren't going to find anything at full price.  The cheapest netbook at Walmart is around $200.  I think you'd be better off going on Ebay and seeing if anyone will sell you a working computer for that price.  I'm sure you'll be able to find one.

Here's a search I did for you.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:17 pm »
'm afraid Ebay Maaaay not work. I'd need to use someone else's Ebay account and have it delivered to another address. But I shall look into it ^.^

Offline Mylo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:06:50 pm »
'm afraid Ebay Maaaay not work. I'd need to use someone else's Ebay account and have it delivered to another address. But I shall look into it ^.^

All you have to do is open a PayPal account, use cash to buy a PayPal gift card to fund your account, enter the code into your PayPal account, then make an Ebay account, purchase it, and send it to one of your friend's houses.  Simple.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:32:34 pm »

All you have to do is open a PayPal account, use cash to buy a PayPal gift card to fund your account, enter the code into your PayPal account, then make an Ebay account, purchase it, and send it to one of your friend's houses.  Simple.
Thanks for spelling it out  :o I'm realy too tired at the time of posting this in the first place o.o

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 03:55:52 am »
Hello Arashi,

I woudl recodment going to local PC stores.  Not the big multi million stores like PC world.  But private or self-employed local stores.  Reason being is that they can find great deals on your behalf and they are not bounded as much by rules and regulations.  Also looking into them special stores that buy and resell items (people use to sell their items instantly for money) Brokers?  Against you can get some good deals at second hand prices.  $150 isn't much as that values about £80.  However, thats not to say it isn't dueable because I have bought a 'Lumix' Acer laptop (it's soo tiny) known as the Asus Eee PC series
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/asus-asus-eee-pc-4g-netbook/39028/  <---Only thing is your better of getting your own keyboard, unless your have tiny hands XD
This comes with a working SKype, webcam, microphone, games and works with furtopia.  Doesn't work with facebook because thats a HUGE bulky thing but still it is an awesome machine if your just looking for internet use and documentation (as it comes with Open Office to (which is MS word savable) but not gaming.  Saying that laptops and Netbooks and not really designed for gaming anyway.  If you like I'm more than happy to help you find something :)

Also I'm assuming your after internet use and working PC only, you can get them at a fair price.  But again this is not something that online have cheap deals on, I'd still argue local stores have the advantage here.

Does that help?

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:51:43 pm »
I have to agree with Mylo your not gonna get a lot for $150... entry lvl computers start at about 200-250 for $150 you minus well try and find a el junk o tablet or look on e-bay for some dinosaur (as in old not as in big) computer
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:49:11 pm »
Well, there was a thread asking about these not long ago, but you might actually consider a Chromebook, depending on what your needs are. If you're only going to use it for web browsing, then it is a compelling option. They're basically just hardware built to run a slightly modified version of Chrome. Acer has a wifi-only model available for $199.

For a Windows PC, you'll really be looking at the price jumping up to that $300 mark unless you catch something on a closeout sale.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:51:00 pm by Ziel »

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Aakosir

• In Vino Veritas
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:53:11 pm »
Um... I only paid $180 for my Asus from Best Buy. And it is a very good computer. I've had it for almost two years and have had absolutely no issues with it. It has a 320 gb hard drive and 4 gb RAM.

I can say do NOT get an HP. Their quality has gone downhill and they are expensive. You can find a better computer for a lot less than they charge. After two years my motherboard went out... Two years...
My FA

I come and I go

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:33:29 am »
You may have already found a computer, but there are computer
clubs in many cities where you might find something. Also yard sales
can be a place to find computers. As with any used machine always
make sure it works before you buy.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 12:50:24 pm »
I would try Craigslist if in your area

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »
Related to Craigslist, I have a notable... Mistrust. Of that, and Ebay, because I can't check the device before I buy. But funny story about Craigslist... I saw a guy willing to trade 650 pallets of Cardboard refrigirator boxes for a Ipad. Wierd.

But I'll look at local sources, like garage sales.