Author Topic: corrupted hard drive  (Read 2125 times)

Offline GhostStar

• "life is either a daring adventure or its nothing"
  • Male
    • My Blockland profile page
corrupted hard drive
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:21:41 pm »
my maxtor external hard drive is corrupted. i ran the error-checking thing on my external hard drive and now my computer says the hard drive is corrupted and unreadable, it wants me to format the drive but i have a lot of files on there that i don't want to loose. is there a way i can save them?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" -Albo

"Dr. Kroger calls it a super mega phobia" -Adrian

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
Re: corrupted hard drive
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:29:52 pm »
You have to look into proper hard drive recovery software for that really. All of those I found you have to pay for though.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
Re: corrupted hard drive
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
My recommendation is to use a program called "Photorec".  It is a open source Linux program that is VERY GOOD at retrieving files from bad disks and is FREE to the public.  Used it yesterday to pull the video files off a 64GB SDcard that was so corrupted the computer couldn't even see it.

If you don't have Linux I recommend you download an Ubuntu LiveCD or DVD ( ubuntu.com ).  You can boot off this CD and run PhotoREC from there.  However you will need a good hard drive (USB or internal for example) to tell PhotoREC to save it's recovered files.

Look for online tutorials on PhotoREC. There are quite a few and it's rather easy to use.  Good luck!

WhiteShepherd
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot