Author Topic: Flash Drive Chips  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
Flash Drive Chips
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:14 am »
Ugh.. Well, I broke all of my flash drives. But that's not what this thread was bout.

Anyways, I need to know if there is a way to recover the files on the chipsets, which managed to (As far as I can tell) stay intact. The USB part is the part that broke. I had well over 100 pages of Word data on important topics on those, as well as quite a few game mods, and more.
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
Re: Flash Drive Chips
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:34 am »
Unless you can incredibly handy with PCB's (and the connections on them) and a solder I'm afraid there is no way to recover them easily. I've know this happen to a lot of people.

If the connections on the drive are still intact and its just the metal and plastic sleeve of the connection you might be able to fashion something temporary but this isn't something I've ever tried myself.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:22:31 am by Weisseman »
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Sequester

• Species: Bewitched Cat-Plant
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:00:27 pm »
I asked my mate about this; he works at a small computer shop and says they recover data from broken flash drives for about $15 (provided it really is just the connection that's broken). Depending on what those files are worth to you, you may try calling some repair shops in your area.

Good luck with the recovery; I know it really bites losing important data like that ><

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:04 pm »
It its the connection then you can  find some computer shop to recover it. it will take some body skilled in  SMT soldering, One may be able to solder a new connector or jumper one in.  It will take special tools like an smt soldering iron

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:11:14 am »
Thanks for the input, it helps ^.^
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:49:03 pm »
not that hard, take an old usb extension and cut the wires, solder on to the respective contacts, it's incredibly tedious and a steady hand is required, other than that it should be straightforwards
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:20:42 am »
not that hard, take an old usb extension and cut the wires, solder on to the respective contacts, it's incredibly tedious and a steady hand is required, other than that it should be straightforwards

Or, you could tape the wires down. Not a fix, but I imagine it's last long enough for you to be able to get your files off it?

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »

Or, you could tape the wires down. Not a fix, but I imagine it's last long enough for you to be able to get your files off it?

unless they come lose in the transfer and corrupt, or worse, the wires touch and short out your computer, happened with my laptop once.
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?