Author Topic: Just curious.. Why all the rage?  (Read 8900 times)

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
Just curious.. Why all the rage?
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:18:31 pm »
So I'm not much of a MLP fan, simply cuz it hasn't sparked my interest much, but everywhere I go I find bronies. I'm just wondering, what is it about a little girl show that makes it so obsessive and fun? It's a little weird for me to see dudes talking about cutie marks or royal weddings or unicorns in general. I mean, as a kid, I used to play with MLP toys like crazy, but it wasn't until this show came out that it became all the rage. Are there more adult elements in the show (like Spongebob, Adventure Time, or the Normal Show), or is it just that every guy secretly wants to indulge in his inner little girly cuteness?

Offline Vukasin

• Male
Re: Just curious.. Why all the rage?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »
Are there more adult elements in the show (like Spongebob, Adventure Time, or the Normal Show)
Yes.

It would be better to watch the show rather than asking. If there's such a fanbase behind it, then there's probably a reason for it, you know?

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:46:01 pm »
I'm only asking so I can get the opinions of the fans themselves. 0.o

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:11 pm »
I made fun of the whole popularity of it, and the fanbase of it and decided one day to watch it to laugh at it or maybe find out how unwarranted it was. Ended up liking it. Go figure. It's a cute cartoon and funny. Has some nice life lessons in it so its something I will have my daughter watching one day. As for adult themes, there are some jokes once in a while that could be taken in more than one way that provide some laughs for older audiences but its not horribly dark, or at least not darker or more adult than many other current cartoons. It IS a good cartoon though, and I like the flash style animation/art. I'm not a crazy fanboy by any means but I do watch it on YouTube and Netflix and enjoy it.

So yeah... I didn't understand it either but watched it and changed my mind. I DO think however there is a lot of bandwagon appeal to it - especially within furry fandom. it's "cool" to like it right now and that surely influences a good chunk of 'bronies'.  I know a lot of artists and plush makers etc have really ramped up commissions and made-to-sell items and art for it due to the fanbase being so dense within furry fandom and it has become a cash cow for artists (despite copyright issues, which I'm told Hasbro just doesn't pursue). There is no doubt that is the popular thing to be in to at the moment. But.. I say take it for what it's worth - and that is a good cartoon. I'm not involved with any of the fanbase for it really other than fav'ing some stuff on FA once in a while, and of course watching it sometimes (though I've only seen season 1).

In short, it's a good cartoon. Whether or not it is this popular due to bandwagon factor I don't really care and am not involved the the fanbase but I think it's a good cartoon and I'll keep watching it when I'm in the mood for it whether its the in-thing or not. Watch it and form an opinion with more basis. It's charming.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:54:11 pm »
As hipster as this sounds, I did like it before it was cool ;). A friend of mine introduced me to it around episode 4 or 5, before all the craziness started.

Buckshot has it right. In the end, it's just a really good, well written, and well animated kids show :). Even without the fan-base, I'd probably still watch and enjoy it.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:15:06 pm »
As hipster as this sounds, I did like it before it was cool ;). A friend of mine introduced me to it around episode 4 or 5, before all the craziness started.

Buckshot has it right. In the end, it's just a really good, well written, and well animated kids show :). Even without the fan-base, I'd probably still watch and enjoy it.

Haha, and if you remember, YOU were the one _I_ was asking this very question to before I watched the show.  :D

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:31 pm »
It's only popular now because it's new to a much younger generation who never saw or grew up with MLP back in the 1980's/90's. But after awhile, the interest and fandom will subside and decline like most other cartoon or toy franchises. And then maybe in another 10 years, it'll come back again to a newer younger generation. Fads like this are based off comic or toy lines. They come, then go, then come again when a new toy line or tv show is introduced, etc., etc., etc.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:10:35 pm »
It's only popular now because it's new to a much younger generation who never saw or grew up with MLP back in the 1980's/90's. But after awhile, the interest and fandom will subside and decline like most other cartoon or toy franchises. And then maybe in another 10 years, it'll come back again to a newer younger generation. Fads like this are based off comic or toy lines. They come, then go, then come again when a new toy line or tv show is introduced, etc., etc., etc.

Which is true normally, but the rest of the franchise is notoriously awful. The reason why so many people question it is because before they know the difference between this and the res of the franchise, they associate it with the older things.

It isn't until you see screen shots or watch an episode or two of the show that you really see how different it is.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:18 pm »

This would explain My Little Pony being wildly popular among its target demographic (eg. my daughter).  It takes a little more for a cartoon based on a toy line to engage so much interest from adults outside that target demographic (eg. myself).

It's a well-written show with engaging, likeable characters.  It has catchy songs and well-drawn visuals.

Basically, it's good.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:54 pm »
It is a well done and written cartoon show

The main thing I like about it is the way it shows girls that they can be
leaders and in control of their lives.

Many of the tv cartoon shows made for girls are stereotypical of what
many people think girls are supposed to do. Just be cute and please boys.

I hope there will be more shows that show girls they can be successful in
life. Women have gained alot over the last century, but they still have a
few walls to break down.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »
I love that answer!! That's actually one of the things about the show I was iffy about - I assumed it would just be about "being cute and pleasing boys." It's awesome to hear that its actually not, and that it upholds such good values for young girls to learn from. Taking in mind all of the Disney movies I grew up with, all of the princesses that I watched were usually being rescued, or being beautiful for their prince. It got kind of shallow after a while, especially after I matured and realized exactly what was going on.

I find that point very interesting, and it's kind of coincidental because me and my family were just talking about how the stereotypes of what boys and girls are supposed to be are shaped by all of the products/shows that kids are surrounded by. A photographer did a project centered on that - she took pictures of various kids with every item in their room spread out. The little girl's room was overwhelmingly pink, and the boy's was just as much blue. Yet the toys and images direct the kids to follow the stereotypical sex; the girl's room was filled with dishes, baby dolls, mirrors, and fake makeup. The boy's was filled with spaceships, Superman, robots, and trucks. Everything is aimed to train the kids for their respected sexes; the girl is supposed to be docile, mother-like, and enjoy cleaning, while the boy is supposed to be interested in violence, science, and technology.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »
I love that answer!! That's actually one of the things about the show I was iffy about - I assumed it would just be about "being cute and pleasing boys." It's awesome to hear that its actually not, and that it upholds such good values for young girls to learn from. Taking in mind all of the Disney movies I grew up with, all of the princesses that I watched were usually being rescued, or being beautiful for their prince. It got kind of shallow after a while, especially after I matured and realized exactly what was going on.

I find that point very interesting, and it's kind of coincidental because me and my family were just talking about how the stereotypes of what boys and girls are supposed to be are shaped by all of the products/shows that kids are surrounded by. A photographer did a project centered on that - she took pictures of various kids with every item in their room spread out. The little girl's room was overwhelmingly pink, and the boy's was just as much blue. Yet the toys and images direct the kids to follow the stereotypical sex; the girl's room was filled with dishes, baby dolls, mirrors, and fake makeup. The boy's was filled with spaceships, Superman, robots, and trucks. Everything is aimed to train the kids for their respected sexes; the girl is supposed to be docile, mother-like, and enjoy cleaning, while the boy is supposed to be interested in violence, science, and technology.

Do you know who the photographer was?  Can you provide a link?  I'd be interested in seeing that.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »
I'm starting to get the feeling that MLP is sucking me in, slowly, enticing me to watch the episodes and sink face-first in pony-awesomeness 0.0

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:13:39 pm »
I'm starting to get the feeling that MLP is sucking me in, slowly, enticing me to watch the episodes and sink face-first in pony-awesomeness 0.0

Just let it happen. For a phenomenal example of what the show has to offer, I would say you could just jump right in by watching the season 2 finale that just aired. But I would probably recommend watching from the beginning, as you'll appreciate some of the smaller things better since you would be more familiar with all the characters.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »
(I kinda just finished part 1 of that finale, starting part 2)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:14 pm »
All of these points are quite valid, but I think what has really given the show staying power is how much Hasbro and DHX/Studio B (the animation studio) has interacted with the Brony community. It's a cool show to start with, but the stuff the companies have done for us is almost unheard of. It's to the point where they regularly give a little fanservice to us in the episodes themselves. While that can be shakey ground to tread, they pull it off well. It's not like they are trying to cater the show to what the fans ask and beg for, which can doom an otherwise good show. They give us nods in more subtle ways that doesn't take away from the what the show started out as. The most notable example would be the pony called Derpy. There was an animation error that caused her eyes to look funny for a split second and the Bronies took to her in a big way. From that split second shot, the community developed her on their own as a clutzy pony but with a good heart that really loves muffins. The animators picked up on that and started hiding her in the episodes as a little game for people to try and spot her. A "Where's Waldo" of sorts, and they went back and changed the prior shots of her normal eyes to make them specifically derped and kept her that way. (Granted, there was some controversy over her speaking role recently, but I think it was way overblown....) They are also having people involved with the show like the voice actresses and song writer go to MLP:FiM conventions and doing interviews with notable podcasters and news outlets within the fandom. I think its stuff like this that has really kept the fanatisism(SP?) going with the community.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 05:37:32 pm »

They should stand by themselves as a great example of the show. But after you've watched the rest, be sure to re-watch the finale. There will be a few more things you'll pick up. Heck, I had to watch that finale two times myself, and I'm sure I haven't caught everything there is to see yet.

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 05:53:38 pm »

They should stand by themselves as a great example of the show. But after you've watched the rest, be sure to re-watch the finale. There will be a few more things you'll pick up. Heck, I had to watch that finale two times myself, and I'm sure I haven't caught everything there is to see yet.

Yeah, in fact, I have a question about it - is the little DJ pony supposed to be Skrillex? LMTO..

And I think I'm definitely going to start the whole thing, and get into it. After all, like I've said before, I loved them as a kid, had tons of the toys, so this whole new revamping of it is pretty awesome. I might make a little pony fursona even XD I'm sure you bronies do that; with personal cutie marks and whatnot?

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:38 pm »
Yeah, in fact, I have a question about it - is the little DJ pony supposed to be Skrillex? LMTO..

That's Vinyl Scratch, another fan service thing they did I'm guessing. She showed up in one of the first episodes for a few seconds and that was it, but the fans loved her almost as much as Derpy. Wouldn't say she's a ponified Skrillex, but if she drops his beats.... Well she's already my favorite pony, so I guess she goes platinum in my book then. XD I think Hasbro has given her an official name of DJ-Pon3 from a comercial a while back, but we still all call her Vinyl Scratch.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 07:39:32 pm »
And I think I'm definitely going to start the whole thing, and get into it. After all, like I've said before, I loved them as a kid, had tons of the toys, so this whole new revamping of it is pretty awesome. I might make a little pony fursona even XD I'm sure you bronies do that; with personal cutie marks and whatnot?

Yeah, a fair number do make OC ponies, and I think most bronies at some point will have at least pondered at what their cutie mark would be.

If you haven't been there at all, EQD is pretty much the main portal to a variety of works from the fandom, and various other information about the show/hasbro/the hub/etc.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 07:43:49 pm »
*chants* One of us! One of us! One of us!

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »
*smiles* bwahaha yal have converted me!!! I'm an avid RPer so I don't think I can resist the idea of a new pony RP! I'm checking that site out now, and watching episode 4. Vinyl Scratch, eh? That's so awesome. I'm loving the characters, and its really hard to pick a favorite, but I like Twilight's sarcasm, and Rainbow Dash's pure beastliness.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »
Just wait until you take in Fluttershy. You *WILL* love her. She will order it and you will obey. At least I did.  :-[

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 07:52:27 pm »
Why all the rage?

Because Discord is da best!  8)