Poll

How big is too big for a tv screen to be enjoyable?

> 40"
3 (42.9%)
> 50"
0 (0%)
> 60"
0 (0%)
> 70"
2 (28.6%)
> 80"
0 (0%)
> 90"
0 (0%)
> 100"
1 (14.3%)
There is no such thing as too big of a television.
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Televisions (how big is too big?)  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
Televisions (how big is too big?)
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:13:30 am »
Tv's or perhaps more aptly named mini movie theaters like the c seed 262" 4K tv for a mere $539K are proof that there are few limits when it comes to screen size and that companies will keep topping themselves just to say they make the biggest.

...Back down on earth you can buy a reasonable quality 60" tv for under $1,000 and they're geting bigger and cheaper every year.
But just how big is too big? Is there a limit or a point that it would be uncomfortable to watch? Or should we all just keep pushing the couch back, crank our heads skyward, and go for the bigger big screen?
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
Re: Televisions (how big is too big?)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:10:34 pm »
Any TV is too big. I find parking my tail on the couch just to stare at screen to be an enormous waste of time. If I truly have nothing to do (yeah, right, like that ever happens) I'll enjoy a book. I have plenty around that I've been wanting to read.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »
It depends on how big the room is. After all theaters have massive screens.

I imagine a 6 ft screen would be too large for most living rooms. I find 24"
screens adequate for my viewing.

It's likely one day people will have whole rooms designed for full senory
entertainment, possibly even surround video in 3d.

Some with the money have large family audio video entertainment rooms
now.
oldrabbit.com

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »
Anything over 40 inches is to big. Even 40 inches is to big. We all have tunnel vision. The ability to concentrate on a single object will dismissing everything around it. So if you watch a 20 inch TV you will see the very same thing you'd see on a 60. In most cases the 20 inch TV will have a better quality picture. HD or otherwise. There's only so many pixels. The larger the screen the farther apart the pixels. Even in HD.

Save you money. Buy a really good quality smaller TV. Then spend the money you saved on a room at a furry convention.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:12:03 pm »
Then spend the money you saved on a room at a furry convention.
:D :D

Yes!
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:41:51 pm »
I don't see the need to watch tv as there's nothing but crap on nowadays.  :P  Any information I want, I can get from the Internet.

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 06:07:00 am »
Yes Kobuk, there are a lot of crappy shows on nowadays, that's why people watch dvd's and blu-ray's, just like how you always say you do.
Also it's 2017, tv's have been a part of the Internet for a while now, people browse the Internet, buy things, rent movies on Netflix and Hulu, and play video games all on their tv. (*Is currently watching dr. who while writing this.)

Anyways, I think tv's start becoming a bit overwhelming above 70". I have a 50" and it's a nice size without overdoing it, seemingly a bit small during the day when the room is lit, but at night when it accounts for 90% of the light in the room it is more than big enough.
I'll probably get a 60" some day, but I can't imagine getting much bigger than that without a much bigger room to put it in, it would just be too much.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 01:11:41 pm »
I think al this business with big screens is all about marketing. Like computers gotta
keep coming up with a good reason for people to buy a new one.

The big problem with large screens is the resolution isn't good enough unless you
sit way back. If you do that what's the point of having a big screen.  Even with Ultra HD
a 6 ft screen would have loss of resolution up close.

Of course if your wanting to have a home theater for a lot of people a big screen is needed.
Might not want to advertise it. The entertainment industry don't like people showing their
videos to large audiences. Rest homes run into this all the time.
oldrabbit.com