Author Topic: Internet Saturation  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Mylo

Internet Saturation
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:13:41 am »
It seems like companies are just pushing useless innovation into our faces hoping to make a quick dollar.  The amount of new internet companies forming in the past few years has been phenomenal, and I want to know you opinion on the situation.  Do you particularly enjoy or utilize any service provided by an internet or mobile app company that was formulated in the last three to five years or so?  And which ones do you think are just plain useless?  What kind of service would you find particularly useful in a future project? 

I like Quora, just because of some of the answers I've received on the site.

Color, a mobile app, IMAO is completely useless innovation.  The idea is you take pictures, and then Color will send them to everyone within a certain distance...  o_O IDK what they were going for...

As far as services I'd like to see in the future...a mobile Furtopia Forums :D 

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: Internet Saturation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:25:12 am »
I think there's a lot of good potential out there now. Even if a product fails, others could learn from it and perhaps implement it in a way that makes sense. Take your Color example. Someone could take that concept and turn it in to some sort of emergency warning system. Lets say you come upon a wreck, it would let you send a notice out that alerts other people in the area that they may want to use a different route.

The problem I have with web based apps and such today is the lack, or flat out ignoring of bug fixes. Instead of creating a good, simple, functioning product, many companies will just push out something buggy and not fix it (Like my SiriusXM Android app), or focus on adding more techno-junk to it whether it's wanted by the consumers or not. The Google maps Android app is a great example of this. It was a top notch app for GPS navigating until some of the latest updates. Now they've taken out a function that was popular, it's glitchy, and they tied the volume in with the regular media volume instead of keeping navigation seperate. That may sound minor, but I don't need GPS telling me when to make my turns, and in doing so it would cut out anything else I'm listening to such as music or streaming audio. On the earlier versions I could mute the GPS so it doesn't cut into my other stuff, but the current version wont let you do that. Thank goodness for being able to uninstal the updates so I can have a good, stable, functioning app. (:
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:39:54 am »
I don't even like the fact that I need a phone for a lot of things. It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for an app on one, no matter how... "useful"... it might be, and I wouldn't buy any kind of smartphone that didn't allow free 3rd party applications. So, if I try one and it's useless, I'll just get rid of it and not think on it longer than it takes to do so.

First, though, I'd need a reason to spend so much on a phone in the first place - or a lot of money to waste.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:42:37 am »
It seems like companies are just pushing useless innovation into our faces hoping to make a quick dollar.  The amount of new internet companies forming in the past few years has been phenomenal, and I want to know you opinion on the situation.  Do you particularly enjoy or utilize any service provided by an internet or mobile app company that was formulated in the last three to five years or so?  And which ones do you think are just plain useless?  What kind of service would you find particularly useful in a future project?  

I like Quora, just because of some of the answers I've received on the site.

Color, a mobile app, IMAO is completely useless innovation.  The idea is you take pictures, and then Color will send them to everyone within a certain distance...  o_O IDK what they were going for...

As far as services I'd like to see in the future...a mobile Furtopia Forums :D  

It is kind of amazing that I have practically dedicated my life to computers, earned a B.S. in Computer Science, and spend most of my waking hours often working on several computers at once, and yet almost everything that you have just mentioned in your post doesn't really have any measurable impact on my life.  I say "amazing" just because there is just so much stuff out there that people can use on their computing-devices these days that even someone who is practically attached to a desktop machine like me have probably only used or even heard of a mere fraction of them!  It can be kind of mind boggling to keep track of what "the latest thing" is supposed to be on the web sometimes, especially if you are already happy with what you are using.

Anyway, to answer your question, as much as I wish that I could give you an opinion on some of these newly available Internet services, the truth is that I don't think that I use any new web service that has come out in the last few years.  I have a tendency to be very wary of "cloud services" and social networking sites in general, and I don't like to trust them with anything that I deem to be important.  Because of that, I don't really use them if I don't have to.  I don't really trust them because when you use one you are handing over control of your own data to a third party, you have to play by that third-party's rules to access your own data, that third-party is often making money off of you by selling your personal information and your usage data to anyone and everyone, and you don't even know if that service will still be in existence next month.  And if that cloud-based service that you rely upon does go under, your data goes down with their ship causing you to lose everything that you had stored with them if you didn't also have some kind of a local backup.

Instead, I try as much as possible to implement and host as many of the things that I need on the web myself.  For example, I would much rather build my own photo gallery website from scratch than use a third-party service like flickr.  I would much rather create my own furry artwork gallery website instead of using FurAffinity.  I would much rather run my own blog software on my own web hosting account than use the third-party LiveJournal.  And I would much rather stream music off of my own media server that is connected to my own LAN instead of using something like Last.FM, etc. etc.  That way I maintain control of everything, I get to set the rules, I get to determine the site's appearance, I get to control who can use my stuff and how things get done, and I can get *exactly* what I want instead of having to accept some outside company's lowest-common denominator compromise of a system.  While that involves a lot more work and effort on my end, I think that it's worth it because it means that I get everything just how I like it, and I don't have to worry about anyone else forcing functionality, privacy, or policy changes on me at their whims.  With that said, even I use a few services that could be considered "cloud" services, like a couple web mail accounts or Amazon.com's "Wish List" feature for example, but as I said I try to keep those kinds of things to a minimum and you can bet that I either have local copies of everything that I have stored on those sites or failing that not using the service for anything that I consider to be overly important just in case it goes dark.

As far as the whole mobile apps thing goes, I still don't have a smart phone, personally.  While I can respect the fact that other people find them to be useful, as far as I am concerned there isn't much in the way of a "killer app" that only a smart phone can do that has convinced me that it is somehow a necessity of life.  I already have a Garmin in my car for GPS, I am not on Facebook, Google+, or Twitter so I don't need a smart phone to check them, anything that requires a significant amount of typing (such as typing a post in the Furtopia forums) is *much* better performed on a PC or laptop that has a real full-size physical keyboard, I already have a really nice digital camera with the ability to change lenses to use for photography, and so on.  All I really need my cell phone to do is make and receive phone calls, and my current Sony Ericsson W580i with no data plan is just fine for that.  To my knowledge, I think that I have only borrowed a friend or sibling's smart phone three times in my life so far: twice to use the mobile browser to check if I was still winning eBay auctions because I was out and about and away from my computer when they were ending, and once when I tried to look at the local Doppler weather radar images on the U.S. National Weather Service website during a severe thunderstorm.  Unfortunately, I was not able to accomplish that last task because the National Weather Service radar images used a Java applet to display and the original-model iPhone that my friend had at the time couldn't display it.  :P

Take your Color example. Someone could take that concept and turn it in to some sort of emergency warning system. Lets say you come upon a wreck, it would let you send a notice out that alerts other people in the area that they may want to use a different route.

Let me see if I have your idea straight...  So you are driving your car, and you happen to see an auto accident on the side of the road.  So you take your eyes off of the road yourself so that you can pick up your smart phone, load up an app on it, and then start to enter an alert about the accident that you just saw.  However, since you have been distracted yourself from your own driving because you have been fiddling with your smart phone, you have now just increased the risk of getting into an auto accident yourself.  Then, when all of the hundreds of other motorists using this app while driving their cars suddenly get the alert that you sent about the accident on their phones, they will all take their eyes off of the road to look at their smart phones to see what the alert is about, distracting them and putting them into a potentially dangerous situation themselves...  Are you starting to see what I am getting at here?

You, as a motorist, should only have one concern on your mind and that is driving.  While trying to warn others about road hazards is a noble idea, if you are currently behind the wheel yourself sending out notifications to the world+dog about your local road hazards is *not* your job.  Driving and staying focused on the road in front of you is your job.  Accidents on the side of the road are local law enforcement's and emergency responders' job.  They are the ones that get notified about accidents first and are usually the first on the scene.  If anyone should be providing data to some kind of public road-hazard warning system it should be them.  (And in some areas I think that they may already do.)  Regular motorists shouldn't be risking their own personal safety to send out notifications like that.  As far as I am concerned, the local and state governments just can't ban the use of smart phones from drivers of moving vehicles fast enough!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:37:34 am by Hoagiebot »

Offline Drake Blackpaw

• Male
    • http://www.drakebp.furtopia.org/
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:58:18 am »
I would never say a smartphone is necessary, but I have found having one very useful.  For one thing, it replaces many things I use to carry and keep track of, my MP3 player, a portable gaming device, a GPS, and of course it can be used as a phone as well  :D

None of the apps I use regularly are revolutionary in nature.  The best apps I've found are ones that take a concept from non-wired or mobile world and implement it in a way that makes it more accessible and easy to use.  For example, when I started running, I found an app called Couch to 5k invaluable.  The couch to 5K program existed before mobile apps as it is a simple training concept where you start out combining periods of walking with periods of running in your exercise and over time shift a higher of percentage of the time to running, until you are able to run for 30 minutes straight.  All you need to do it yourself is a watch.  But it is so much easier to have an app on your phone that prompts you when to switch from walking to running and that keeps track of your workouts as well.  That app helped me get in shape.

Another application that helps me work out is Slacker radio.  Of course radio has been around for awhile, but being able to listen to a station tailored to my tastes while I workout helps me keep going through the workout.

My wife and I will use Urbanspoon to find a good place to eat when we are out some place new or if we just want to find a new restaurant to try out.  Again, restaurant reviews have always existed in the paper, but having a tool like that on your phone when you find yourself hungry in a place you don't know is nice to have.

My wife has a small business and she is getting a phone credit card reader and credit card processing app.  Now she can easily offer to accept credit cards from her clients as long as she has an mobile connection.  The processing cost to her for transactions is a tiny bit less than the same transaction through Paypal, which is she used with a lot of clients in the past.

So, I wouldn't say I've found any apps that have revolutionized life, but I've found many that have made it easier to do things that were possible before, but we didn't do because the hassle was too much to bother with.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 09:12:04 am »
Take your Color example. Someone could take that concept and turn it in to some sort of emergency warning system. Lets say you come upon a wreck, it would let you send a notice out that alerts other people in the area that they may want to use a different route.

Let me see if I have your idea straight...  So you are driving your car, and you happen to see an auto accident on the side of the road.  So you take your eyes off of the road yourself so that you can pick up your smart phone, load up an app on it, and then start to enter an alert about the accident that you just saw.  However, since you have been distracted yourself from your own driving because you have been fiddling with your smart phone, you have now just increased the risk of getting into an auto accident yourself.  Then, when all of the hundreds of other motorists using this app while driving their cars suddenly get the alert that you sent about the accident on their phones, they will all take their eyes off of the road to look at their smart phones to see what the alert is about, distracting them and putting them into a potentially dangerous situation themselves...  Are you starting to see what I am getting at here?

You, as a motorist, should only have one concern on your mind and that is driving.  While trying to warn others about road hazards is a noble idea, if you are currently behind the wheel yourself sending out notifications to the world+dog about your local road hazards is *not* your job.  Driving and staying focused on the road in front of you is your job.  Accidents on the side of the road are local law enforcement's and emergency responders' job.  They are the ones that get notified about accidents first and are usually the first on the scene.  If anyone should be providing data to some kind of public road-hazard warning system it should be them.  (And in some areas I think that they may already do.)  Regular motorists shouldn't be risking their own personal safety to send out notifications like that.  As far as I am concerned, the local and state governments just can't ban the use of smart phones from drivers of moving vehicles fast enough!

Well for starters, you're preaching to the choir about the risks of using a phone while driving. Keep in mind the idea I mentioned was off the cuff and would require some more in depth considerations to implement, but A) if you're already stopped because the road is blocked, you are not doing anything risky to send that kind of message and B) most smart phones can give audible notices such as text to speach to announce the warning with no input needed from the person getting said alert. I also agree with you that it's law enforcement's job to do traffic control, but it takes time for them to get there. Not to mention that their main concern will be with dealing with the accident and not so much traffic control (unless it's somone to direct traffic around the immediate scene). Your mention of a warning system is a good idea, but the only time I've seen those is on major interstates and usually near a big city. I've put in close to 500k miles in my career in 6 years of hauling around the country, and those kinds of warning systems are actually not that popular in the grand scheme of things and don't really say much about what's going on with the local city streets.

And FYI, new phones are now going to be equiped with a chip that allows for the Emergency Alert System to send warnings to you based your location from the government for anything from tornado warnings to terrorist attacks. Most of them can be turned off, except the most severe warnings such as would come from the White House. I don't think it would cover things minor as traffic accidents though. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/us/10safety.html
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.