Author Topic: MLP: FiM Brony & Pony Discussion Phread  (Read 57182 times)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: MLP: FiM Brony & Pony Discussion Phread
« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2011, 12:42:53 am »
Let's see... I can't draw, I can't make PMV's, I'm not a good enough writer, and my job keeps me from doing anything note worthy in the Brony (or any other) fandom for the most part. But I finally found a way I can leave my little hoof mark on the community. I've mentioned the Friendship is Madness podcast a few times on here, and while it isn't the most refined, it certainly lives up to its "madness" name.

Seems they have been hitting the bandwidth limit of their podcasting host site. I recently found out my little used webspace went to unlimited bandwidth allotment, plus I still have tons of space unused. So I'm partnering up with them to mirror their episodes in case their main site starts blocking downloads. Still working on setting it up since I had to move my site to a different server so they could have their own FTP access, but hopefully that will be taken care of tonight and can start listing them tomorrow.

YAY! I'm helping. :)
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #551 on: October 09, 2011, 12:35:55 pm »
Let's see... I can't draw, I can't make PMV's, I'm not a good enough writer, and my job keeps me from doing anything note worthy in the Brony (or any other) fandom for the most part. But I finally found a way I can leave my little hoof mark on the community. I've mentioned the Friendship is Madness podcast a few times on here, and while it isn't the most refined, it certainly lives up to its "madness" name.

Seems they have been hitting the bandwidth limit of their podcasting host site. I recently found out my little used webspace went to unlimited bandwidth allotment, plus I still have tons of space unused. So I'm partnering up with them to mirror their episodes in case their main site starts blocking downloads. Still working on setting it up since I had to move my site to a different server so they could have their own FTP access, but hopefully that will be taken care of tonight and can start listing them tomorrow.

YAY! I'm helping. :)

Well done. I am sure they, and other Brony's will appreciate the mirror site too.. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #552 on: October 09, 2011, 03:51:25 pm »
Awesome job Narei! Way to contribute to the community. :D

Now if you get mentioned on EQD I can go "I know that guy."
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #553 on: October 10, 2011, 04:34:43 am »
Now if only Go Daddy would hurry up. Seems I needed to change to a different server for my hosting, and apparently I went to the one that is having issues, delaying the transfer and ftp access. XD

And Kalo, don't expect to see my name up there. Mirrors usually don't get that kind of notariety. :P

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2011, 02:49:07 pm »
So, shame on me for not noticing this in time but yesterday was a major milestone in MLP history. MLP: FiM celebrated its One-Year Anniversary yesterday, October 10th.

Can you believe that this show, originally thought to be for little girls only, would grow to what its become today? And in only a year! And the fad itself has not drifted off as so many fads have in the past after a few months.

I may not have joined this takeover of the internet from the beginning, but I'm glad to have brought over to Furtopia when I did. I started to notice and became involved as a brony late December 2010, after a week or so, I was hooked and made the first post about here in early January 2011.

As interest started to grow and a fan base was being deeloped from within our Furtopian ranks, there was a lot of discussion on how to handle the amount of traffic being generated. Posts were being made just to cross-reference other posts and to loosely tie them all together, until we finally earned our own sub-forum as we have now. We haven't finished growing and developing yet either. With season two going full swing now and new content and resources being launched continuously, only Celestia knows how long we'll be going.

I know at some point we Bronies will quiet down and less traffic will be generated, but we've past the rennaissance period and now well into our industrial age. To paraphrase the battlecry that more or less started the movement as we know it: "The Mods are alseep, post ponies!".

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #555 on: October 11, 2011, 03:39:45 pm »
I honestly think it's still in the rennaissance period, the golden times. When we start to get into the times of the production when Lauren wasn't as involved we'll see what happens. She was still majorly involved with Season 2 like Season 1 but they were wrapping 2 up when she left.

Fraankly the Bronies have, I think, have become practically a new culture in themselves. I hope to see it continue onward with strength.

Also yeah yesterday was international Friendship Day. I celebrated by making a new friend on Steam and introducing him to MLP. He laughed in my face but we still had a good time. I think he might check out te show but you know how newfoals are. I myself was highly against the ponies when I first found them. Its just the first stage. He'll come around.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #556 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35:39 am »
I think this is the right thread.

I started watching MLP from the beginning last night. Several episodes on, I can conclude that I love this show :3

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #557 on: October 14, 2011, 08:49:11 am »

Standard Questions Time:

1) Who is your favorite Pony of the Mane 6?
2) What is your favorite episode?
3) What is your favorite part of the show?

Offline Loc

« Reply #558 on: October 14, 2011, 09:39:58 am »
I've only watched the first five episodes, so I can't really answer the last two yet, but I think Fluttershy is my favourite pony so far. I just want to hug her.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #559 on: October 14, 2011, 10:50:25 am »
Wait till you get to episode seven Loc, you'll love it.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Loc

« Reply #560 on: October 14, 2011, 04:04:49 pm »
Wait till you get to episode seven Loc, you'll love it.

I'm halfway through it and Omigawd she is adorable! ^^ I just want to give her a hug and tell her it'll be okay. Aaaw.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #561 on: October 14, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »
Now wait til Episode 26 and you'll see her in a whole new light. "You will Love me!"

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #562 on: October 15, 2011, 06:01:01 am »
Standard Questions Time:

1) Who is your favorite Pony of the Mane 6?

We have an entire thread in this forum dedicated to that particular question:  MLP: FiM Pony Favourites

Offline Loc

« Reply #563 on: October 16, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »
3) What is your favorite part of the show?

I can safely say episode 9, where "Flutterguy" is singing the song about Zecora :D

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #564 on: October 22, 2011, 10:53:38 am »
So... S2E4 airing an hour late... and I wasn't aware of this before this morning.
Still waiting for it to show up on Youtube. I expect to see it in another 10 minutes or so. Think that's about how long it took the first two of this season to appear.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #565 on: October 22, 2011, 11:02:58 am »
I saw it. Twice. And it's a fun episode. Just make sure you keep its discussion to the Season 2 thread due to spoilers. ;)

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #566 on: November 03, 2011, 07:26:43 am »
Foiled again!

I'll be away again this weekend, and as such won't be able to watch the next episode on Saturday. I won't be back here until Monday night. So it'll either be Monday night or Tuesday after work before I get to see this one.

Really looking forward to it, though. I hope they keep up with something that feels back to normal with the first season. Oh, and it's about time for a song...

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #567 on: November 03, 2011, 10:57:16 am »
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/11/official-blind-bag-pony-names.html

I don't care what they're called. The fanon names are so much better. And I like Lyra much more than "Heartstrings"

Although "Lyra Heartstrings" isn't too bad a name.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #568 on: November 03, 2011, 02:46:39 pm »
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/11/official-blind-bag-pony-names.html

I don't care what they're called. The fanon names are so much better. And I like Lyra much more than "Heartstrings"

Although "Lyra Heartstrings" isn't too bad a name.

There's something really broken here.  The only reason that I can see why everyone involved (Hasbro and fandom) would not benefit from the show adopting fanon names is because Hasbro might get sued by somebody claiming to have come up with one of the names.  I don't think the legal system is set up to adequately handle the relationship of and the sharing of content between centralized (Hasbro) and decentralized (fandom) entities that create literary and artistic media.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #569 on: November 03, 2011, 06:20:45 pm »
To me, Hasbro seems to be making some really dumb business decisions.  As much as I can understand that it's difficult for a huge company to follow trends for each of its toy lines, you'd think that they would have realized what the brony phenomenon means for their toys.  They were already planning to make pony toys X, Y, and Z, so a few more minutes picking the right models/colors couldn't have hurt them.  I can forgive them for not following the fan names, but if they were smart they would have been at least naming, if not releasing, the background ponies a long time ago. Then the fan names wouldn't have taken root and there would be less controversy.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #570 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:04 pm »
To me, Hasbro seems to be making some really dumb business decisions.  As much as I can understand that it's difficult for a huge company to follow trends for each of its toy lines, you'd think that they would have realized what the brony phenomenon means for their toys.  They were already planning to make pony toys X, Y, and Z, so a few more minutes picking the right models/colors couldn't have hurt them.  I can forgive them for not following the fan names, but if they were smart they would have been at least naming, if not releasing, the background ponies a long time ago. Then the fan names wouldn't have taken root and there would be less controversy.

Controversy or not, people will buy them because to us, they ARE the names/characters we've turned them into. Who cares what it says on the card? The biggest problem is that a lot of them are just colored like the bg ponies, but they didn't do a whole lot in terms of getting their manes/tails right.

HOWEVER, I think this is a little bit forgivable. Companies have budgets. It is far cheaper to recolor the same mold than to create a whole new mold. Most of these budgets are determined the previous year. Hasbro couldn't have had a clue that all this would happen when they were making up the budget for the year. They didn't have 'make more show-accurate molds' on their priority list, and so there was nothing put into the budget for it.

From this perspective, you could say 'well, they made a new mold for the male blind bags'. Yes, they did. But let's say that means they had enough in their budget for one new mold to be made. It wouldn't really make sense to use that money to replace a single existing mold. For one thing, you have no net increase in molds. For another, you'd have to pick which pony gets the more accurate mold, while the rest still remain as-is. I think putting out the male ponies was a good middle ground here.

So perhaps the budget for next year will include re-vamping their current molds to make them more show-accurate. We'll just have to wait and see. What we DO know is that they are going to make some sets of glasses and lamps and other odds and ends, but those won't come around until later next year. I wouldn't say these are more targeted to the bronies, but they do have a bit of a wider appeal. I would consider getting a set of 6 juice glasses with the mane 6 on them. As long as they use the same sort of styling/vectors from the show.

As for the names, I'm pretty sure Carrot Top couldn't be used. And Lyra is oddly short for what seems typical of Equestrian names. Though I do like Lyra Heartstrings. That could work alright. But Berryshine and Golden Harvest... we SO got the better names on those two.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #571 on: November 03, 2011, 11:32:09 pm »
Yeah companies can't really flow along with trends too well, especially if they are really big like Hasbro. They are too focused on costs.

So like always if you want your show accurate merch you have to turn inward to the fans. They will be accurate. They will be created with love and attention to fine details. They will be expensive as hell.

So do you sacrifice the extra cash for quality? Just how badly do you want that figurine of fanon Berry Punch holding a glass of her favorite drink? Or figures to make a scene of Octavia giving Vinyl Scratch a private performance on her double bass? Or Lyra and Bon Bon Heartstrings sitting on a bench together?

How much is it worth to you?

Hasbro is a company first and foremost so they cannot afford to bend to trends. They have no guarentee that this brony thing will last long enough for them to turn a profit off it if they spend the extra money to make show accurate detailed molds.
Frankly I'm shocked they went so far as to even TRY the background ponies at all.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #572 on: November 04, 2011, 12:33:55 am »
Ziel, I do agree with what you're saying about the molds. I did mean to spell "models."  Picking the correct model for Berry Shine so she is an Earth Pony and not a Unicorn would have been a decision that mattered to bronies, but left all other sales estimates exactly the same.  Hey, maybe they'd even save a few thousand dollars by not using the plastic to cast the horn!

And yes, the more accurate the models get, the more expensive they'll be.  I'm flexible enough to accept the level of quality Hasbro is producing, but the only models that have been close enough to the show for me to buy have been the solid-hair models of the Mane 6 (and Fluttershy's hair STILL bugs me).  Now it looks like there will be a Big Macintosh. Hmm...
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #573 on: November 04, 2011, 11:46:14 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Hasbro has pretty much said they WILL NOT be catering to bronies. If bronies buy their gear, great. If they don't, then that's great too because the intended audience will be. To wit, little girls. They don't care if Berry's an earth pony or a unicorn pony or if Fluttershy's hair is imperfect or that there's five or six main cast recolor toys oh my god seriously guys have you SEEN THESE THINGS. They literally take "Twilight Sparkle" and "Fluttershy" and turn them pink and orange respectively it's horrible. UGH.

Also, The background ponies aren't anything more than "other ponies to play with" for little girls, we're the only nerds to see them and make these huge epic deals (entire lives) about them.  We're the only ones who care about TV accurate. And we're simply not enough of a market....at least not compared to the frightening tidal wave that is Little Girls.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #574 on: November 05, 2011, 03:19:35 am »
I bought a MLP FiM 2012 calendar today from Dollar Tree for $1. :) Put it in my little girl's room to keep track of dr. visits and stuff.