Author Topic: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)  (Read 60583 times)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
Re: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2011, 03:34:13 pm »
I loved this episode but seriously, I think the creators of the show are definately trying to make memes now. I also think Twilight needs to stop playing therapist aand start seeing one. She clearly has a barnful of neuroses concerning her organisation.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2011, 06:02:06 pm »
So, I just watched Winter Wrap Up again and realized something: That episode sets the precedence that the thought of being late is what will cause Twilight to take action. It wasn't until she heard Mayor Mare say that spring would be late that she took charge of keeping everything organized and coordinated.

But she didn't go crazy there because it wasn't something she was passionately invested in. In Lesson Zero, she was going to be late with something related to her studies. And we know that her studies are her real passion/obsession. This being so much closer to her heart caused a much more severe reaction.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2011, 01:11:33 am »
*Lots of words about Twilight's breakdown*

I'm surprised with all that, you didn't just say Twilight suffered from "Social Munchausen Syndrome" It's origins are from Munchausen Syndrom by Proxy, where you essentially create a problem (without the others knowing of course), so you can come in and save the day and look like the hero.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2011, 03:38:15 am »
You know, I'm worried they may be pushing the boundaries a bit too far at times. The scene of Flutttershy and the bear, I can see some kids not getting that or taking it wrong and next thing you know we get a bunch of angry parents forcing Hasbro to cancel the show. :'(
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2011, 03:39:59 am »
Viewing #2 report:

I started seeing some of the flaws more easily that others have posted and there's obviously an animation style difference with Twilight's breakdown compared to the prior ones (I.E. the distorted faces kinda creeped me out this time for some reason). But something else really struck me. Anyone else notice how this played out almost like an old old Loony Toons cartoon? Think Road Runner vs Wile E. Coyote, back when there was no spoken parts and they used exagerated actions and music to tell the story. You could have pretty much removed the entire voice track of this episode and still known what was going on. I hope they don't continue with that style.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:50 am »
I'm surprised with all that, you didn't just say Twilight suffered from "Social Munchausen Syndrome" It's origins are from Munchausen Syndrom by Proxy, where you essentially create a problem (without the others knowing of course), so you can come in and save the day and look like the hero.

I did spend an hour or so trying to try and find a term to describe what I wanted to say, but I wasted my time digging through TVTropes.org and their really cruddy search engine to find it.  I figured that TVTropes would have a term for the situation where a character creates a problem to make themselves look like a hero since I know that I have seen that happen in television shows before (and who knows, there may still be a trope on TVTropes for it that I just didn't find), but after an hour of searching I gave up on searching for it and just wrote everything out.  Your term "Social Munchausen Syndrome" is a new one to me.  Had I known about the term I probably would have used it.  To be fair though, "Social Munchausen Syndrome" seems to be a very obscure term on the web-- if you type it into Google surrounded by quotation marks for an exact phrase match all that Google returns is a measly 4-results.  Google usually returns 100+ results for nearly anything that you can think of typing in.

But something else really struck me. Anyone else notice how this played out almost like an old old Loony Toons cartoon? Think Road Runner vs Wile E. Coyote, back when there was no spoken parts and they used exagerated actions and music to tell the story.

The Wile E. Coyote cartoons that you are referring to were created by the famous animation director Chuck Jones.  Chuck Jones had a very unique visual style in his cartoons, and he *heavily* focused on the use of facial expressions for humor.  Probably the very best example of this is all of the amazing facial expressions that the character "The Grinch" had in Chuck Jones's 1966 Christmas Special, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!  You can also see a lot of these kinds of facial expressions used with Tom the cat in the 34 Tom and Jerry animated shorts that Jones directed from 1963-1967.

Personally, I thought that Twilight Sparkle's warped facial expressions after she had cracked were a little more reminiscent of the work pioneered by the outspoken animation director John Kricfalusi of The Ren and Stimpy Show and Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures fame.  Just see John K.'s take on the classic Hanna-Barberra characters Yogi and Boo Boo in the animated short that he created for Cartoon Network called Boo Boo Runs Wild, and you will see what I mean.  It's pretty twisted!  There seem to be *a lot* of cartoons out there these days that like to employ those kinds of warped facial expressions, and it has been a pretty trendy thing to do for several years now.  And while it can be used effectively in the types of cartoons that call for it, I will agree with you that the use of crazy deranged facial expressions should probably be toned back a bit or used with a little more care in a show like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  It's nice to see the show catering to the older male Brony demographic, but they probably shouldn't cater to us too much-- after all, we all absolutely loved how the show was being done before its producers even knew about the Brony-movement's existence, so the way the show is being handled now shouldn't really be altered for our behalf (if that's what the producers are even doing-- it's a little too early into Season 2 to tell).

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2011, 09:13:17 am »
I think they were just changing things up a little. Add some variety. I seriously doubt they'd make such a dramatic change permanent.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2011, 10:24:05 pm »
The thing that pushed the faces over the edge (for me) was the teeth.  That was just too much for the faces to fall in line with what was previously seen on the show.  Hoagie, you mentioned that it was kind of reminiscent of Ren & Stimpy (or at least work by someone who worked on the show).  Now that I think about it, that sounds about right, and since I strongly dislike that show I also dislike the direction the animators took with Twilight's expressions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:47 pm »
I'm normally one to give the benefit of the doubt about this kind of thing, but I do feel like this one was verging on trying too hard to cater to the fandom. My two main reasons:

There were a lot of things that looked like attempts at creating a meme (as has already been mentioned several times).

Also, I feel like they were trying to force facial expressions for screenshots and the like. Sure, they are kind of meme-y, but I look at them as slightly different things.

Seriously though, most of the fun screenshots from season 1 were unintentional faces. Transitions between frames and such. And some of the bigger memes came from random lines that might otherwise be overlooked, such as '20% cooler' and '10 seconds flat'.

Don't get me wrong, I did come around to enjoying the episode. I just hope that they will tone it down a tad in future episodes.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2011, 03:29:42 am »
There were definitely parts that I really loved about this episode as well, such as the scene where Rainbow Dash is tearing apart Applejack's barn!  There is a clip of just that scene on YouTube, and I have probably watched it over and over again at least 30-times today because I find that part of the episode to be so completely hilarious!  It is definitely one of the best Rainbow Dash scenes that I have seen so far, and that is saying a lot because Rainbow Dash is always so much fun!  I am definitely not worried about the direction that this show is going yet, especially since I am still extremely excited and counting down the days until I can see Season 2 episodes 4 and 6, which feature Luna and the Cutie Mark Crusaders respectively!  *cheers*

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:42 am »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:33:28 pm by Alexandre »

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2011, 11:12:20 am »
Some pony out there alreday made a custom 'crazy' Twilight Sparkle with Smarty pants toy. I guess this was on e-bay but I only saw the link to the pic. E-bay is a firewall blocked site so I can't look it up for y'all. However, here is a link to the pic of the set. Its pretty creepy actually. This is linked and not imaged due to size:

Crazy Twilight & Smartypants

Edit Note: Seems you have to be logged into Derpy Hooves Chat to see the link. Sorry. Just search E-bay to see the pic.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:00:01 pm by Liedt »

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »
Link don't work for me.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:25 pm »
The MLP Facebook page posted a sneak peek on Saturday's episode.
Here is the link: FB MLP

The picture shows Twilight Sparkle dressed in a costume talking to Luna. My first impression was "~yay Twilight is dressed up as the Great and Powerful Trixie!".

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2011, 09:43:05 am »
In case anyone needs a link to a live streaming feed of this morning's episode, kicking off at 9 am CST, I'm using this one.

http://www.twitch.tv/dizaster321

It's playing old episodes now

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:10 am »
And for those that haven't seen it yet, I'll just say this. Oh my ~yay~ was that a fun episode!

Without saying too much about Luna yet, I'll say this: Luna, why so serious? :D

Oh, and Zecora came back. That was an awesome surprise and she fit the role perfectly. I'm still grinning ear to ear and watching the repeat already. XD
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:39:40 am by Narei Mooncatt »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2011, 11:30:21 am »
Glad to hear you also enjoyed it.

I loved it. I felt like it the show is back to normal. Everypony seemed much more down to earth, aside from Luna who is still socially adjusting. And hey, little bit of a star role for AJ in this one. She was the first pony other than Twilight to actually give Luna a chance, and really did help her start to adjust a bit.

I kinda hope that we get Luna in some more episodes now. She's in the middle of transitioning to modern life away from the moon. They could bring her back now and again to show some of her progress. Even if it's just any time Celestia shows up in Ponyville, Luna should be at her side.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2011, 11:41:48 am »
They could bring her back now and again to show some of her progress. Even if it's just any time Celestia shows up in Ponyville, Luna should be at her side.
That's about the one thing that stuck out as odd on this episode. You would think that even if Luna was venturing out on her own by now, Celestia would have come to save the day. You know, being sisters and all. I was pretty surprised that she didn't make an appearance.

Also: Chicken Pie FTW!!! :D She almost stole the spotlight on the show IMHO.

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »
My thoughts when Luna showed up and started talking...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Luna: I've been away so long, how much has changed sister?

Celestia: Things are still the same Luna, speak in a strong, commanding and powerful voice and be sure to always use the royal "we" in our subjects presence.

Luna: Very well. Thank you big sister. This will be a most enjoyable night.

Celestia: *giggles* "Oh yes Luna. *chuckle* Very fun. Remember, BIG! Commanding! VOICE!

Luna: I'll remember.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »
THE FUN HAS BEEN DOUBLED.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »
Woo hoo!  I *finally* got to watch the new episode "Luna Eclipsed" this morning.  I was *so* excited for this episode, to the point where I was literally counting down the days until it aired, and then when Saturday morning finally arrived real-life intervened and I didn't get a chance to watch my recording of the episode until now... and it was a rough wait, let me tell you!  Not only did I have to temporarily boycott visiting both the Furtopia MLP forums and Equestria Daily for the past three days to make sure that I didn't accidentally run across any spoilers, but when I saw Liedt in-person last Saturday afternoon I had to force him to not talk about the new episode as well because he had already seen it.  Oh well, the episode was so good that it was definitely worth the wait!

I was *extremely* curious to see what Princess Luna's character was going to be like, and how the writers of the show were going to play Luna's visit on Nightmare Night out.  Up until now all that we had seen of her was that absolutely adorable small lavender-colored pony with the periwinkle-colored mane who was huddled up, sad, scared, and remorseful, at the end of the episode "Friendship Is Magic - Part 2 (Elements of Harmony)."  As I am sure that you are all well aware, that brief appearance of Luna in Season 1 caused a slough of Luna fan-art to be created in the Brony-community, with much of it showing her being quiet, meek, sad, and sullen, with a personality much like a personified quiet, lonely, and peaceful moonlit night.  I have to admit that I also bought into this fan-developed perception of her-- it was basically just taking how she acted in her brief first appearance in Season 1 and running with it, so it made sense to me.

Going along with Princess Luna's original appearance and demeanor, I expected the episode "Luna Eclipsed" to play out very differently than it did.  Here is how I thought that things were going to happen: I did imagine the Nightmare Night festivities to play out pretty much as they did, with the trick-or-treating, costumes, traditional American Halloween-type games, etc.  However, I imagined Luna secretively sneaking into Ponyville's Nightmare Moon Night festivities while hiding herself underneath a cloak or a costume so that she could silently observe the festivities.  With Luna being so ashamed and remorseful about her Nightmare Moon past, I thought that she would have been shocked and devastated to find all of the ponies celebrating a holiday that was based around her horrible past, and that she would be made extremely upset from seeing all of the effigies of her old Nightmare Moon persona put on display throughout the town.  That revelation to her would be like an emotional stake through her heart-- here she wants nothing more than for everypony to forget about her past and forgive her, but instead the images of her wicked former self are still everywhere, tormenting her.  Around this point some pony, not knowing that the mare in the cloak/costume is Luna, would say something horrible about Nightmare Moon to her/ make her play some kind of degrading game like "pin the tail on the Nightmare Moon" or something along those lines, and that would push Lune to the breaking point where she would throw off her costume, reveal to everypony who she was, and run out of town crying.  Then it would be up to the Mane 6 to find Luna, console her, and convince her that Nightmare Night was a night of fun, laughter, etc., and that she should embrace the fact that even her less than admirable past has been the cause of so much fun and adoration for her.

Wow, I pretty much missed the mark on that one to a large degree.  Instead of a quiet, curled up, and frightened little lavender and periwinkle pony, we got a larger, dark blue-violet-ish pony with thunder, lightning, evil-looking demon-winged pegasi escorts, a booming voice, the ability to create giant spiders, and Nightmare Moon's star-field hair.  Wow, again.  I think Luna's personality changed just as much as her appearance too-- just as with her appearance there are still some elements about her that are still the same, but there is a huge amount about her that is different.  So while the new Luna is not a *complete* 180 from where the original character was heading, it is definitely a significant change in direction!  Now my predictions about the episode weren't entirely wrong-- Luna did end up leaving town all sullen and crushed and then got a lecture about how wonderful Nightmare Night was to convince her to return.  But I would have never foresaw all of the thunder, lightning, yelling, and giant spiders that it took to get the story to that point!  Yeesh, Luna definitely needed to learn how to take it down a notch or two!  In fact, Luna was acting so Nightmare Moon-ish at some parts of this episode that I was almost wondering if the Mane 6 were going to have to once again band together and hit her with their giant orbital rainbow friendship cannon (a.k.a. "The Elements of Harmony") just to tone her down a bit!  You know, like put Princess Luna into a 5-minute time out for bad behavior!   :D

In any case, my feelings are a bit mixed about the new Luna.  I thought that Luna's original design was *very* pretty, so much so that she was probably my favorite character design out of all of the ponies.  While Luna's new design is also pretty, I hate the fact that we will probably have to lose the original Luna design to gain this new one.  To explain what I mean, this kind of reminds me of the whole Coca-cola/New Coke debacle.  I actually liked the "new Coke," but I also always liked the original Coca-cola classic, so I was sad that I had to give up one for the other.  Now, Coca-cola remedied this by making both Coca-Cola Classic and the renamed Coke II both available, so for a few years you could actually enjoy both.  It would be cool, at least to me, if MLP:FiM would do kind of the same thing with Luna.  After all, they established in this episode that Princess Luna can use magic to alter her appearance because they showed her temporarily portraying Nightmare Moon near the end.  As a result, maybe they could do something like have Luna appear as her smaller lavender and periwinkle form when she is away from her subjects and in private, and then have her take on her new blue-violet star-field form when she is out in public and wants to appear more imposing a regal, kind of like how she used her booming voice in public to appear more imposing and regal.  That would make sense to me (and make me happy), and in my opinion it would fit the new-version of Luna's character a bit more than Lauren Faust's personal explanation on Luna's change in appearance.  (I know that it is probably sacrilegious for me to question anything Lauren Faust says and that I will probably become yet another stone garden ornament in Celestia's garden of vanquished foes because of my blatant impudence, but what can I say, I like my idea better and I really wish that there was some way to make it so!  Oh well...)

As far as Luna's new personality goes, well, we only got the tiniest little hint of what Luna was possibly like from the episode "Friendship Is Magic - Part 2 (Elements of Harmony)".  In fact, most of what I thought I knew about the original Luna probably developed based on the fan-made material that I saw of her later.  So I guess I can't argue against the "new" Luna's personality at all, because there really isn't that much of a canon "old" personality to compare her against.  Besides, as the new episode has shown, underneath all of the new Luna's yelling, thunder, and giant death-spiders there is still a sad, quiet, and vulnerable pony who wants to be accepted.  That was the element of the "old" Luna that I liked from her original appearance, and I guess her appearance in this new episode showed that it is still there, only just buried a little more.  I guess I can go along with that.  In any case, I just hope that from now on we see Luna a bit more often!  "New" design or "old," I still think that she is way neater than Celestia!

Some additional random observations:

* Is it just me, or is Luna talking with ye olde-style English a bit of a retcon?  I understand why the writers made her speak that way because they wanted to make her sound regal and out of touch with the times, but both Luna AND Nightmare Moon spoke modern English in their Season 1 debut, so having Luna suddenly talk like it was the year 1600 doesn't really make much sense when her Nightmare Moon counterpart sure didn't.  I suppose you could say that Luna's speaking in Early Modern English could have all been part of her act that she was putting on to appear regal in front of her subjects, but she also spoke that way when confiding to Twilight Sparkle, which makes it appear that she *always* talks that way.  If that is true, that breaks the precedent of how Luna/ Nightmare Moon spoke in Season 1.

* I absolutely *loved* Rainbow Dash dressing up as a Shadowbolt!  That was such a great idea, and I wish that we could have seen more of her as a Shadowbolt or at least some kind of reaction from Luna from seeing somepony dressed up as one of her old Shadowbolt creations.

* I loved Spike's commenting on the mayor's clown costume throughout the episode!  That really made me chuckle!

* I loved the little pony that was dressed-up as a mouse and was frightened when Luna stomped her hoof right by her head!  So cute!

* Zecora's retelling of the Mare in the Moon story and her associated green smoke illusions of Nightmare Moon were both pretty cool!

* The appearance of Derpy bobbing for apples and then accidentally coming up with the plug of the large basin draining all of the water out was both funny and endearing, however at the same time I can't help but note that Derpy is becoming ever more of a foreground pony instead of just a random background pony.  I think that the Season 1 sport of Derpy-spotting is officially dead-- now she is apparently a full-blown secondary character and is spotlighted in the show front and center.  Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.  Hmmm.  At the current rate that Derpy's appearances are growing in significance, how long do you think it is going to be before Derpy gets her first speaking role and then her first full-blown episode?

* When I first saw the statue of Nightmare Moon in the woods when Zecora was telling her story, my first thought was, "Geez, it looks like Luna lost an argument with Celestia again!"  LOL!  Actually, I have to wonder if this is the first time that we have seen a statue that wasn't one of Princess Celestia's past poor hapless dissenters that was turned into stone!

* There is a new tiny colt named "Pipsqueak" with an overly cute British accent?  Just what I needed-- the sickeningly cute character "Lumpy" from the early-2000-era Winnie the Pooh movies in My Little Pony-form.  Argh!  I just hope that we don't get overly-deluged with appearances of him!  That's the kind of character that can develop into a "Scrappy Doo"-like tumor on a show really fast!  Somebody needs to cut that malignant character out of the show and irradiate it before it gets a chance to spread into further episodes-- stat!

* Big Mac giving young ponies hay rides-- LOL!

* No Rarity!  *boos*

* I love how Luna could use her magic to make herself look like Nightmare Moon but still had to place a set of false teeth in her mouth while doing so.  You would think that her magic could take care of that little detail too!   (:

* Up until now I have been fighting the whole "Trollestia" idea that out of Princess Celestia's boredom all she does is sit around and create an endless string of problems for the citizens of Ponyville to solve, but trying to ignore that concept is getting ever more difficult to do.  The whole conflict of this episode could have been resolved before the episode even began if Princess Celestia had just taken 5-minutes out of her day and told Luna the following four points of advice: 1) "We no longer talk like it is the year 1650."  2) "We no longer use an earth-shattering booming voice to terrify our subjects into submission.  I have now turned so many of our subjects into stone for crossing me that I can talk to them in a sweet, soft-spoken, and motherly manner and they still are god-fearing of me and do what I say."  3) "We no longer address ourselves in the third-person," and 4) "Don't cover our pony subjects in giant spiders.  They tend to be fearful of that."  I mean really, has Celestia spent any one-on-one sister-time with Luna since they have reconciled, or did Celestia just set poor Luna up for the prank of the year like Kaloyan Alett mentioned?

* Is it just me, or has Twilight Sparkle's time spent as Princess Celestia's personal student made her have way too much candor when dealing with princesses?  While everyone else bows and is generally awe-struck by the appearance of Celestia, Twilight Sparkle will skip the whole bowing-thing and just walk right on up to her and basically ask her how it's hangin'.  While Twilight might be able to get away with that sort of thing (despite how bad it must look in public) with Princess Celestia because of Twilight Sparkle's special status as Celestia's pupil, I am surprised that Twilight was also able to get away with being so informal with Luna, especially since Luna doesn't know Twilight Sparkle very well and was actually expecting respect and formality from the townsfolk (like how Luna wanted the mayor to kiss her hoof, for instance).  I swear, one of these days Twilight is going to be overly-informal to the wrong member of Equestria royalty and become the royal castle's next stone garden ornament.  I'm just sayin'!   ;)

Anyway, there was *a lot* going on with this episode, and a lot to like about it!  I didn't want to write another massive waterfall of text reviewing this episode like I have in the past, but with all that happened and was shown in this one I just couldn't help myself.  Just like how Pinkie Pie has to eat candy, Rainbow Dash has to prank, and Twilight Sparkle has to lecture, I have to write giant walls of text about MLP.  Apparently, it's what I do!  Anyway, like Ziel said, it seems like MLP:FiM is getting back to its good 'ol fantastic self with this episode, and I sincerely hope that we see more great episodes like this one soon!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2011, 12:14:16 am »
The great wall of text

I only barely skimmed over your post, but I caught that you mentioned not having Rarity. 2 things I've heard. One, they did have a scene with Rarity in it (I think making a dress for Luna) but it was cut out according to Faust. Second, The VA for Rarity also does Luna, so she was there in spirit if nothing else. LOL

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13:38 pm »
I only barely skimmed over your post, but I caught that you mentioned not having Rarity. 2 things I've heard. One, they did have a scene with Rarity in it (I think making a dress for Luna) but it was cut out according to Faust. Second, The VA for Rarity also does Luna, so she was there in spirit if nothing else. LOL

I had read Lauren Faust's explanation about Rarity being cut from the script due to time constraints as well.  Even though I perfectly understand the production reasons for why Rarity wasn't in the episode, that doesn't mean that I still won't boo her absence!   :D

Also, we have an entire week-and-a-half until the next new episode of MLP:FiM airs, so you have plenty of time to read through my glorious text wall about episode 4 above-- even if you pace yourself and take it only one paragraph a day.  I brought up what I thought were a lot of good discussion points about episode 4 in that post, and I was hoping that some of them may give us all something to chat about while we wait for "Sisterhooves Social" to air.  We still have 9-days to wait, after all.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »
You should do some fanfic's of the MLP's Hoagiebot.  You write very
well about the characters and the show.  :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Hoagiebot

• Male
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2011, 06:09:51 am »
You should do some fanfic's of the MLP's Hoagiebot.  You write very
well about the characters and the show.  :orbunny:

Thank you very much for your kind words about my writing, Old Rabbit-- I very much appreciate it!  I do write, but I tend to be a closet writer, with most of what I have written either never leaving my computer, or being part of much larger and grander projects that never get finished, such as comic book series, video games, comic strips, animated shorts, etc.  For the past few weeks I have been playing around with the idea of maybe trying my hand at writing a MLP:FiM fan-fiction, but I don't know if I will ever actually go through with writing it.  As of right now my brainstorming about a MLP:FiM fan-fiction story has been much more of a mental exercise to divert my mind with during the slower moments of my day rather than the result of my actually wanting to write a fan fiction.  I suppose that if I actually do come up with a story that I feel is good enough to write down I will do it, but I don't feel that I have quite reached that point yet.

As an interesting side note, it was because I working on formulating my fan-fiction story that I was so keenly interested in last week's episode "Luna Eclipsed."  I was thinking of having Princess Luna possibly play a role in my story, but I wanted to see what her actual personality was like first so that I could write her character accurately.  As I had mentioned above, I was kind of expecting a meek, introverted, and very remorseful little princess, and instead I got a proud booming-voiced princess who is quick to display her still frightening-strong powers with thunder, lightning bolts, bats, and giant spiders.  I did *not* see that coming, and it threw a monkey-wrench into how I had wanted to include her in my plot.  Oh well, that's what happens when you start playing in someone else's sandbox, I guess-- there is no stopping them from knocking down your sand castle on you!   :D  Anyway, if I ever do actually end up writing a MLP:FiM fan-fiction of some sort, and it ends up actually leaving the isolated confines of my computer, I will definitely let you know!

----------------------------------------

To get back on topic about discussing what is happening in Season 2, has anyone else here seen the Equestria Daily article on the rumored synopsis of season 2, episode 8, "The Mysterious Mare Do Well?"  The idea of a mysterious new masked hero that is "stealing Rainbow Dash's thunder" has really got me stoked!  I can't wait to see who the masked hero turns out to be!  Of course the speculation on who this new masked hero character will turn out to be is really running rampant over at Equestria Daily.  I have seen suggestions that the masked hero could be anyone from Fluttershy, Applejack, Gilda, The Great and Powerful Trixie, Derpy, Scootaloo, Pinkie Pie, a trolling Celestia, etc.  However, in my opinion the most interesting suggestion that I have seen on that website so far has been the one made by the Equestria Daily user "Killsteal Wolf:"

All we can assume is that, it's probably a Very Fast Pegasus, since that is Rainbow Dashes defining trait(Clears the skies in 10 seconds flat), and to steal her thunder, they have to be as fast as her.  And since Firefly was the original design of Rainbow Dash, I think it would be quite cool if this Masked Pony was Firefly, or at least her Colour Scheme. The Original being the one trying to steal the spotlight would be quite cool.

I, personally, would so be down with the idea that Rainbow Dash gets bested by the Generation 1 pony "Firefly" that her character was partially based on.  However, I was reading that for some reason or another, Hasbro somehow lost the copyrights to a few of their Generation 1 ponies, Firefly included, so if that is true then that makes the appearance of Firefly as the masked hero *much* less likely unless Hasbro has somehow recently reacquired the rights to the character (I know very little about the backstory behind this situation with Hasbro losing the rights to some of their Gen 1 ponies, so if somebody knows more about this please feel free to fill me in).  Despite this, I am still going to root for Firefly to be the masked hero anyway because I just think that the idea is that cool.  Who does everyone else here think that the masked hero might turn out to be?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:59:29 am by Hoagiebot »