Author Topic: Google's Project Glass  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Mylo

Google's Project Glass
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:29:33 pm »
Check it out!  Apparently taking your phone out of your pocket was too difficult...so Google made a light and portable Android-derivative head-mounted display to solve the problem.  
Video
Also, check out this parody XD

What do you all think of the concept?  Are we all going to be cyborgs?

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: Google's Project Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:33:30 pm »
"Take a photo..Take a photo..TAKE A PHOTO! TAKE. A. PHO-TO." -throws out the window-

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:47:12 pm »
I think this would be a great idea. It would get in the way like the parody showed, but if they just put the display into one side of the glasses, then I think it would be fine for most people. There will still be some idiots walking off cliffs though. This would most likely be outlawed for use while in a car. XD
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:10 pm »
Go, Go, Google, Glasses. :D

Seriously though, it’s a neat idea, but I’d wonder about getting eye problems from focusing on the two different depths of what’s in front of you and what’s on the glasses.
Another thing is how easy it could be to hack in and watch what someone is doing, hear what they're saying, and know where they're going whenever they're wearing these.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:48 am »
Go, Go, Google, Glasses. :D

Seriously though, it’s a neat idea, but I’d wonder about getting eye problems from focusing on the two different depths of what’s in front of you and what’s on the glasses.
Another thing is how easy it could be to hack in and watch what someone is doing, hear what they're saying, and know where they're going whenever they're wearing these.

Probably would be the same difficulty as cracking the bluetooth connection between an earpiece and a phone if you wanted to listen into a phone call.

I like the idea behind this, but people aren't going to use the voice commands. It's already difficult enough to tell who's on a phonecall with headsets... Suddenly we'll have people shouting all around us... "TAKE A PHOTO!" haha.

I think the future is going to look like this, except with the google glass display instead of a projected image: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV4R4x2SK0
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:00:09 am »

I doubt it (wouldn't that imply you were able to use each eye independently?), but it's basically a HUD from the look of it so you could likely ask the military.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:04:33 am »
The icons that will be displayed are most likely going to be transparent. This means you can focus on them, or focus on what lies before you. It would probably be like looking out a car window while it rains. You can see what's on the other side easily enough, but you can also focus on the stuff right on the screen in front of you. I doubt anyone has obtained eye problems from car windows and rain before, so this should be fine. I'm more worried about idiots who will be completely oblivious to the world around them while using it.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:10:10 am »
(Someone passing you on the street) Hey! Nice eyewear you have there. *YOINKS and runs off*

Yeah, remember how ipods were so readily stolen because of the white ear buds that only they had at the time letting would be theives know who had one? This would be even easier.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »
Isn't this a google april fools thing? They always do an april fools thing every year around, so I wouldn't be surprised (I haven't checked the link yet btw, I just looked at the OP)
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline redyoshi49q

• Species: (*please see above*)
  • Avatar from Dexcat's MFF 2013 Photoshoot
  • Male
    • Enigma Cipher (software project)
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 03:41:49 pm »
Isn't this a google april fools thing? They always do an april fools thing every year around, so I wouldn't be surprised (I haven't checked the link yet btw, I just looked at the OP)

The video got posted April 4th.  It seems to *not* be a joke.

I remember reading about this form of technology (computer display through eyewear) elsewhere (though I don't remember exactly where).  From the looks of things, it seems that Google wants to be the first adopter for the end user market.

It looks like it might turn out to be a good gamble, assuming they do things right.
"Perfect normality is impossible.  Be unique!"
-- redyoshi49q

^ (click) Puzzle game!

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »

I doubt it (wouldn't that imply you were able to use each eye independently?), but it's basically a HUD from the look of it so you could likely ask the military.

Yeah, as long as they can manage to make it truly appear as an overlay on top of what you see in reality (fully transparent 'screen' thing), it shouldn't be that big a deal.

At the worst, it would be like trying to deal with bifocal contacts (at least, in their current state). My dad them. He basically gets one eye with the correct prescription for distance, and the other has the correct prescription for close-up (reading). The brain is incredibly good at looking only at the less noisy signal. Heck, I've noticed it at times that I find myself wearing just one contact. The eye with the contact lens takes over the majority of what I see. The blurry eye just adds a bit of depth and color detail. It's clearly not ideal, and can lead to eye fatigue after a while. But you can deal with it for quite some time (mostly with the bifocal setup; I wouldn't want to use just one contact for extended periods of time).

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 06:43:36 pm »
That reminds me of a story I heard once about a guy that wore goggles that had lenses designed to turn the image upside down. After a day or two of wearing them (and not going without), his brain compensated and reversed the image right side up again to make up for it and he could function just as normal as anyone else. The mind is a wonderous thing.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »
That reminds me of a story I heard once about a guy that wore goggles that had lenses designed to turn the image upside down. After a day or two of wearing them (and not going without), his brain compensated and reversed the image right side up again to make up for it and he could function just as normal as anyone else. The mind is a wonderous thing.

We had a pair of goggles like that in psychology! Each of us had about 5 minutes with them, and I was the only one who could adjust to it. We're very adaptable people ;)!

Offline Jet

• Male
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:11 pm »
Funny you mentioned that. I recall a DARE program at my school in which the instructor gave us beer goggles. It was shaky at first, but I quickly gained my balance and was able to pass all those walking tests. It was hilarious watching others fail to miss the wall, or walk while leaning diagonally as if the floor were crooked.

PLUR

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 09:22:50 am »

The human eye already sees things upside down, and the brain corrects for it.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Hayaikawa

• May your dreams be plentiful and lucid
  • Male
    • My youtube account
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »
I'm super excited for this, cant wait to see this kind of technology move forward.

If you interested in lucid dreaming just drop me a PM or stop by the lucid dreaming thread I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2625411/#cid:19342751
All is possible in a dream.