Author Topic: S3E01&02 - "The Crystal Empire"  (Read 2369 times)

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
S3E01&02 - "The Crystal Empire"
« on: November 10, 2012, 03:42:01 pm »
Sweet! It's already on YouTube. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpCcAXyWTH8
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:39:57 pm by Alsek »

Offline aspect

• Aspect of the Universe
  • Male
    • my furaffinity
Re: Season three air date
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:53:12 am »
All right, how is this going to work? Last season we kept all the episode discussion in one giant thread. Seeing as that made it inconvenient to discuss any but the most recent episode, I do think individual episode threads would be nice.

Anyway, Crystal Ponies! I loved how Twilight used her powers more in this episode, like when she fell from the stairs and then realized she could just levitate and teleport; and of course the gravity magic. Also the animation seemed really good. And using the song as a closing was a great way to keep an already-expected ending dramatic.

I was initially excited about getting more examination of Twilight and Celestia's relationship, but to me that aspect seemed a little flat. Why the use of the quest as a test? And why the instructions, 'in the end it must be you alone, who assists Shining Armor and Cadance...' You're not going it alone when you're helping someone else. And then the whole time, Twilight's interpreting things as if Celestia already foresaw everything and knows the precise nature of the test. Which to me seems to go against the carefully-worded but incorrect instructions.

As for the crystal ponies themselves I was glad to find they weren't an additional type of pony; I mean they're just earth ponies who sparkle due to the protecting effects of the crystal heart.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:36:05 pm »
I finally got to watch it today. As usual, it was cool, but also nice to see all the nods to the fandom in how they showed or mentioned fan favorite items. Pinkie's party canon was back, and several other references I can't remember off hand.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:49:42 am »
I thought it was really convoluted, and they they need to stop being Meghan McCarthy the important episodes x_x!

Positives
-Animation was stepped up
-Introduction of new setting
-New magic
-Conclusion of episodes continue to prove Alsek's theory that I firmly believe in (I'll let him explain that one)

Negatives
-Characters, despite 2 seasons of development, revert to old habits
-The voice acting..could have been better? Which is weird for MLP
-MLP Villains have the worst weaknesses.
-They tried to introduce too many things at once. Crystal ponies, new spells, new characters, villains? It's a lot all at once!

But hey, we have 11 more episodes :)!

Offline Foxxhoria

• Male
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:24:43 am »
The one main thing I found about the premier episodes is, that all the characters except Applejack and Twilight and Spike were reduced to just 2-dimensional gag-devices. Dash was arrogant and insensitive (down to guilttripping Fluttershy that she wasn't doing her part if she didn't joust against her against her will), Fluttershy had aggressive-then-shy moments (which annoy me), and Pinkie was nothing more than a whiny immature child.

It made the whole episode's tone abrasive and hard for me to feel much like watching again. On top of the horrid character moments, particularly from Dash and Pinkie.

And it pretty much being a Twilight Sparkle Power Hour. Can't the other characters get some love? :/
Understanding leads to empathy,
Empathy leads to admiration,
Admiration leads to love

Optimism leads to disappointment,
Pessimism leads to joy,
although, with optimism you are happy almost all the time,
and pessimism you are sad almost all the time.

Where's the line between being bored and generally too lazy to do anything? :p

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:37:49 pm »
And it pretty much being a Twilight Sparkle Power Hour. Can't the other characters get some love? :/

They seem to be dividing the episodes up in terms of who they focus on more and more.  So, sure, that may have been the Twilight Sparkle hour, but the following episode is very much about Pinkie Pie.  And a lot of episodes from last season would pick out one character and specifically focus on her largely to the exclusion of the others.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Foxxhoria

• Male
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:56:25 pm »
They seem to be dividing the episodes up in terms of who they focus on more and more.  So, sure, that may have been the Twilight Sparkle hour, but the following episode is very much about Pinkie Pie.  And a lot of episodes from last season would pick out one character and specifically focus on her largely to the exclusion of the others.

But in the two-parters? We have six ponies to deal with, and only one of them gets the two-parter?
Understanding leads to empathy,
Empathy leads to admiration,
Admiration leads to love

Optimism leads to disappointment,
Pessimism leads to joy,
although, with optimism you are happy almost all the time,
and pessimism you are sad almost all the time.

Where's the line between being bored and generally too lazy to do anything? :p

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 03:49:08 am »

But in the two-parters? We have six ponies to deal with, and only one of them gets the two-parter?

*shrug*  She is the main character.  The show started with her.  It comes back to her for season finales and openers.  Seems about right, as long as the others get their fair share of episodes during the rest of the season.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly