Author Topic: 25+ people killed at elementary school!  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
25+ people killed at elementary school!
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:57:38 pm »
For those who missed the news and may not have heard, a 20 year old gunman opened fire at a Conneticut elementary (Grades K-4) school killing at least 20 children and 6 adults, including himself. One of the adults was his own mother who was a teacher at the school. This represents one of the most severe school shootings in US history.  :'(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/14/us-connecticut-towns-idUSBRE8BD0U120121214

Offline phoenixwolf

• ranger wolf!
  • Male
Re: 25+ people killed at elementary school!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:01:49 pm »
Im praying for you furrs in the US,you have just had a mall shooting now this.

Offline Squeaks

• Species: German Shepherd/Border Collie
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:07:21 pm »
Sadly we have some sick people in the US would go to this lengths murder little children. :( MY thoughts and hopes to go all families and teachers at the school.

In my area we had 13 people shot, at an immigration building, a few years back.  I can't remember how many were injured.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »
Such a tragic thing. I feel so bad for the parents and relatives.  :(

Seems to be a world wide problem. My gf in Brazil said someone did
about the same thing there not long ago.  I also heard 30 school kids
were killed by someone with a knife in China not long ago.
oldrabbit.com

Offline ArticShadow

• Female
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:25:19 pm »
Thoughts and prays goes to the families who lost someone, such a horrible thing for the kids to go though. :'(

I heard about this at school during my guitar class and didn't know much of what had happened. Then in gym when I our gym coach was talking about it and we all where at a completed lost for words. At the end of the day we had a school wide moment of silence... it was quite in the halls for a friday. :(
Icon done by FluffyFennecx3 off FA.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »
Not really the worst is  the Bath School massacre of 1927

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

(more later)

Offline Mylo

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:57 pm »

(more later)

Honestly, does it even matter?

Offline Acton

• Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 02:48:30 am »

(more later)

I thing there some dishonesty to out right bias in reporting especially the the mainstream  media is linking the tragedy  to gun control.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:41 am »

(more later)

I thing there some dishonesty to out right bias in reporting especially the the mainstream  media is linking the tragedy  to gun control.

The step from "murders with a gun" to "guns" to "gun control" is a pretty simple straightforward one.  You can argue about what it means, but the link is pretty inherent.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Acton

• Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:06 pm »
I just learned a huge differences between The Connecticut Elementary shooting and  the Clackamas Mall shooting. In the Clackamas mall shooting there was an arm law abiding person with a conceal carry permit who confronted the shooter.  It possible being confronted led the shooter to flee and kill himself.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

We do not  need more gun laws but more  rational armed citizens.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »
I heard the outside doors of the school had windows. What good are locked doors with
windows a maniac can shoot out, allowing him to then open.

Seems like poor planning. 

I hope those in charge of protecting kids use this tragedy to help improve safety.
oldrabbit.com

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »
Not really the worst is  the Bath School massacre of 1927

(more later)

...at what point did anyone say it was the worst? Both Kobuk and the article said it was "one of" the worst. And how does the fact there have been worse diminish the tragedy of this at all anyway? Furthermore, please stop trying to turn the thread into a debate about gun control. It's a bit insulting to the people affected

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 03:59:13 pm »
Furthermore, please stop trying to turn the thread into a debate about gun control. It's a bit insulting to the people affected

I see this idea a lot...  I'm not completely sure how it works.  I mean, I want to be respectful, but I honestly find this idea confusing.  If a bunch of people were killed by a train crashing because the person driving it had been txting (something that actually happened), would it be insulting to follow that event with discussions of laws against txting while driving?  If not, then what makes that different?  Maybe this isn't the right place for this discussion either...  But, I am confused, so I thought I would ask.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline phoenixwolf

• ranger wolf!
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:00 pm »
I just learned a huge differences between The Connecticut Elementary shooting and  the Clackamas Mall shooting. In the Clackamas mall shooting there was an arm law abiding person with a conceal carry permit who confronted the shooter.  It possible being confronted led the shooter to flee and kill himself.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

We do not  need more gun laws but more  rational armed citizens.
do the mall  cops have guns?

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 05:08:31 pm »
Furthermore, please stop trying to turn the thread into a debate about gun control. It's a bit insulting to the people affected

I see this idea a lot...  I'm not completely sure how it works.  I mean, I want to be respectful, but I honestly find this idea confusing.  If a bunch of people were killed by a train crashing because the person driving it had been txting (something that actually happened), would it be insulting to follow that event with discussions of laws against txting while driving?  If not, then what makes that different?  Maybe this isn't the right place for this discussion either...  But, I am confused, so I thought I would ask.

A discussion would be fine. One person trying to derail the thread, having an imaginary arguement, bringing up completely unrelated shootings to defend a position that nobody has attacked or even mentioned on a subject that nobody has even mentioned is not.

Speaking of derailing, I'd be more than happy to talk about it further in PM.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »
These are the sort of stories that just make me feel off. With stories of things like this or larger-scale disasters, I usually can't stand to read/hear much detail for more than a day or so.

I was bored at work today, and found that MSN had an article basically had a profile of all (or maybe just some, not sure) of the victims. I browsed through it briefly. But as I was going through seeing names (and sometimes pictures) of all these kids listed as 6 or 7 years old, I just had to close the browser. I was starting to tear up, and simultaneously feeling sick.

I feel for the victims and their families, I really do. I just can't keep reading the articles about it.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »
I was bored at work today, and found that MSN had an article basically had a profile of all (or maybe just some, not sure) of the victims. I browsed through it briefly. But as I was going through seeing names (and sometimes pictures) of all these kids listed as 6 or 7 years old, I just had to close the browser. I was starting to tear up, and simultaneously feeling sick.

I don't think I could handle reading an article like that either.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 06:55:11 pm »
I'd prefer it if we didn't derail this thread about discussing gun control. An issue like that is most likely better in the Debate forum. ;)

As for what the killer's motives were, I haven't heard much on that. But since he killed his mother, I suspect there may have been family issues which led him to do what he did. I also heard various reports the killer may have had mental problems.

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »
I'd prefer it if we didn't derail this thread about discussing gun control. An issue like that is most likely better in the Debate forum. ;)

As for what the killer's motives were, I haven't heard much on that. But since he killed his mother, I suspect there may have been family issues which led him to do what he did. I also heard various reports the killer may have had mental problems.

They're looking at his life with microscope now.
He had aspergers disorder. The guns were his mother's.
 She had a stockpile of weapons ready for a doomsday scenario.

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »
thats sad wth is whith people may his rot >:(
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Tom_

• Male
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »
Anyone remember the names of the victims from columbine?
Bet you know Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold

This is the time to press the media to STOP publicizing the killer's name and making it a house hold term. The media enables many of these troubled people to enjoy sickening fame. They SHOULD be focusing on who was hurt and making a memorial program for them, rather than making something some people perceive as a display of glory.

I sincerely hope we stop the media so they don't pull stuff like this again. It happens every time.
I always appreciate messages :D

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 09:07:00 pm »

This is the time to press the media to STOP publicizing the killer's name and making it a house hold term. The media enables many of these troubled people to enjoy sickening fame. They SHOULD be focusing on who was hurt and making a memorial program for them, rather than making something some people perceive as a display of glory.

I sincerely hope we stop the media so they don't pull stuff like this again. It happens every time.

To make it worse, some news outlets accidentally published the name/photo of the guy's brother, saying that he had done it. Apparently he was receiving all manner of threats and such on his facebook and twitter accounts. And of course the internet didn't let go of it as soon as the mistake was corrected.  As if it's not enough that he has to live with the fact that his brother just did something like this.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline NeoFur

• Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:20 pm »

To make it worse, some news outlets accidentally published the name/photo of the guy's brother, saying that he had done it. Apparently he was receiving all manner of threats and such on his facebook and twitter accounts. And of course the internet didn't let go of it as soon as the mistake was corrected.  As if it's not enough that he has to live with the fact that his brother just did something like this.

TakePart TV just posted a segment a long those lines. The things media should stop doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI3Z2PfzeU

Offline Tom_

• Male
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:23 pm »
That thought has been catching wind. It is very popular and might pass if the momentum keeps up. Even heard Morgan Freeman said something about it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:47:07 pm by Tom_ »
I always appreciate messages :D

Offline NeoFur

• Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 11:58:40 pm »
That thought has been catching wind. It is very popular and might pass if the momentum keeps up. Even Morgan Freeman said something about it.

I Googled it to read it, turns out it's fake.

Morgan Freeman statement on Connecticut shootings a hoax

http://blogs.ajc.com/the-buzz/2012/12/17/morgan-freeman-statement-on-connecticut-shootings-a-hoax/?icid=buzzlink