Author Topic: 'Furry Club' at College?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Infervorous

• Male
'Furry Club' at College?
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:47:52 pm »
Hey all. I am going to university next year (I have no idea which yet, so please don't bother asking  (: ) I was wondering, out of those who have graduated college or are currently attending college, if you have seen any furry clubs. I imagine at smaller universities that there's no chance that a legitimate furry club would exist. But perhaps at huge (public probably) universities, there are enough students to actually have a group/club/organization of furries. Even if there is no official club, are there other common ways that furries meet that you have seen? If you have any experience with this, be sure to say which college you are from!  :)

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
Re: 'Furry Club' at College?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:57:43 pm »
The only one I remember hearing of was at Virginia Tech. It was called SOAP, which stood for the Society Of Anthropomorphic Something, and it shared a huge part of its membership with the anime club.

I haven't heard of any others, though (there was only one other furry at my college that I knew of-- and he was a Furtopian, no less! :o) But hopefully someone else has! :)

Offline Adrius

• Rule every moment. Seize every day.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:03:55 am »
I go to a State run university (Alfred State to be specific) and we don't have a particular club in the works. I know of a few furs on campus but I don't really see them much since i've only met them once or twice. My college is a bit odd in that they have two colleges in the same town, which gives a larger probability to finding furs nearby. One of the people from the university across the street set up a furmeet awhile back and they went for a few weeks but sadly fell through for the moment. I met a couple furs just randomly chatting with people at times and then met more once the furmeets got set up. Social networking sites are usually good for finding furs I guess, although I never had much luck. I know the furs from the university had posters put up around their campus to advertise the meets as well.

Also, i'd like to add that since you are going into your first year of higher education next year, while it's fun to meet furs and all of that, don't necessarily pigeon-hole yourself into one particular clique. You get so many people from many walks of life in one location, so diversify a bit :)

(I don't know why I feel the need to say that, but I did. It's just a friendly tip of advice I learned relatively early and thought i'd pass on)

"Like reflections on the page
The world's what you create."
-Dream Theater "Wither"

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:48:54 am »
Also, i'd like to add that since you are going into your first year of higher education next year, while it's fun to meet furs and all of that, don't necessarily pigeon-hole yourself into one particular clique. You get so many people from many walks of life in one location, so diversify a bit :)

Great advice. And really, university is a place where you learn to get along with all kinds of people and  (mostly) abandon the high school attitude of ZOMG OTHER GROUPS BAD. 

Wherever you end up, I'm sure there'll be at least one other fur...because if I can find one in the Wildes of Wyoming(tm) you can pretty much find 'em anywhere. If you're comfortable with your "furry-ness"/have a thick skin I'd say something like putting clean art on your dorm room door or walls, see if that gets any bites. If you're really outgoing, try wearing ears or a tail. University campuses are somewhat infamous for having a few "weirdos" around.

University is great. Enjoy yourself. Please come to Wyoming. I'm so very lonely.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:53:46 am »
You may find a furry club that is off campus.  There are a ton of furs at one of the local universities (NCSU, in Raleigh) and most of them are members of the meetup group that I help run.  We do several of our meets on the campus because of those furs. They're easily 1/3 of our membership, and possibly more.

But the advice to not stick only to furry freinds, thats very good advice.  We all need freinds from all walks of life. Its what keeps life intresting.

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!

Offline Infervorous

• Male
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:53:06 pm »

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I hope to try many different activities, meet people I'd normally not meet, etc. in college. But I've never told anyone about my furriness, and I've never spoken to another fur (consciously). I'm naturally very secretive about things close to my heart. If there is a club / gathering...I'd probably only go once or twice. At least, that's what I THINK I'll do. :P
Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be a local furmeet, or how ever you call it. Sure would be frightening to be openly furry, at least to a small group, for the first time.

Please come to Wyoming. I'm so very lonely.
I (unintentionally) didn't apply anywhere in Wyoming...sorry mate. >_<

Anyone else have any experiences?

Offline prettylilpup

• Female
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:04 pm »
You may find a furry club that is off campus.  There are a ton of furs at one of the local universities (NCSU, in Raleigh) and most of them are members of the meetup group that I help run.  We do several of our meets on the campus because of those furs. They're easily 1/3 of our membership, and possibly more.

But the advice to not stick only to furry freinds, thats very good advice.  We all need freinds from all walks of life. Its what keeps life intresting.

Really? I'm an NCSU student. I had no clue that there was a furry group on campus. I had wondered about it, but as far as I knew, none existed. What days do you meet?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:11:21 pm by prettylilpup »

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 12:10:01 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, prettylilpup, but I was away at FWA and didnt get your message.

I have sent you a PM detailing the meets, and with a link to our website.

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!

Offline prettylilpup

• Female
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 02:34:01 pm »
Thanks, I'm joining now. It's so cool to find a group like this.

Offline Lunara_Lioness

• A Lioness who's also a Parrot.
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:54 pm »
It's cool to hear that clubs are out there. However, at my college, the Art Institute of Atlanta, I seem to just run into fellow furs. Nice, really.  (:
Happily mated to my English Lion, Wardy. <3

Offline Wolf Axle

• Male
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 10:27:44 pm »
The only one I remember hearing of was at Virginia Tech. It was called SOAP, which stood for the Society Of Anthropomorphic Something, and it shared a huge part of its membership with the anime club.

I haven't heard of any others, though (there was only one other furry at my college that I knew of-- and he was a Furtopian, no less! :o) But hopefully someone else has! :)
its probilly society of anthropomorphic peronas or people  (:

Pet's name: Iruu Darra
Adopt your own!
my fur code: FCW A+ C- D+++ H++ P++++ R+ T++++ W Z Sm RLWC a- c++ e- f++++ h* i++ j++++

Offline Wolf Axle

• Male
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:40:35 pm »
well i heard wyoming was a great place but unfortunally i am only a softmore in high school almost junior  :P so srry man but in my town i found other people like me just by letting my inner self guide me but i don't know how to contact him once he finished a test for me and i got 100% and ididn't even look i was spaced out basically starring at nothing man i wish i could talk to him i bet it would be fun cause i don't know his name... any who im gettig off topic so i found my future mate i hope [im not going to lose again ...] i already asked her out once she said no but this was 2 weeks after i met her so yeah... //.~`just followyour animal instict let it take flow but have restraint... just in case. and don't try summoning it let it summon you .... go with the flow  (:

Adopt your own!
my fur code: FCW A+ C- D+++ H++ P++++ R+ T++++ W Z Sm RLWC a- c++ e- f++++ h* i++ j++++

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:24:33 pm »
well i heard wyoming was a great place but unfortunally i am only a softmore in high school almost junior  :P so srry man but in my town i found other people like me just by letting my inner self guide me but i don't know how to contact him once he finished a test for me and i got 100% and ididn't even look i was spaced out basically starring at nothing man i wish i could talk to him i bet it would be fun cause i don't know his name... any who im gettig off topic so i found my future mate i hope [im not going to lose again ...] i already asked her out once she said no but this was 2 weeks after i met her so yeah... //.~`just followyour animal instict let it take flow but have restraint... just in case. and don't try summoning it let it summon you .... go with the flow  (:

#1: Chick here.
#2: I'm not actually lonely. I do, however, live in the least populous, and still very much frontier state...Wyoming. I was playing on the stereotype that no one lives here.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Wolf Axle

• Male
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:44 pm »
... oh :o ... well then....   (: my bad sorry it must be my N.V.L.D ( non-verbal-learning-disorter) acting up..

Adopt your own!

Offline T-Fox

• Rock Your Life Away.
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 09:19:21 pm »
I got lucky with my first year, my roomate ended up being the only other furry on campus. =P

The Anime club is the closest we have, but everyone on campus seems to be overly-tolerant. Everyone knows I'm a furry at DWC, and everyone either doesn't care, or thinks it's cool. ^^
Please Click on my Dragons! They need love too! ^^<br />

Offline Murkrow

• my second fursona is a Spore Creature! 8D BIRGEE!
  • Female
    • Murkrows Deviantart
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 05:01:10 pm »
i know there are other furries in my school. but i idk who. i think my friend is a furry. not sure.

but when i go to college one day (not sure which one), i shall find out!
"If we could sit together a moment and talk forever just to pass the time, I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine when your eyes are locked on mine. Oh we'll fill the metro skies with country air, and when you close your tired eyes, I'll meet you there.

I'll meet you there." ~ Owl City

Offline Infervorous

• Male
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 10:08:28 pm »
I got lucky with my first year, my roomate ended up being the only other furry on campus. =P

Wow, what luck! Heh, I'm interested to see what my roommate will be like...

Offline T-Fox

• Rock Your Life Away.
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 03:43:26 pm »

Wow, what luck! Heh, I'm interested to see what my roommate will be like...

Well, he's actually technically a scalie... x3
He's a Silver Dragon. I have a 7 man suite next year (3 Doubles and a Single with it's own Kitchen and Common Area), and he's going to be bunking next door. I'm so glad I got so lucky. ^^
Please Click on my Dragons! They need love too! ^^<br />