Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 47069 times)

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 06:49:04 pm »
Rock on! Faulkner is one of my favorite authors ever, and that's my favorite book by him. :) Good thing you lost the book the first time around, lol, because I feel like you need to read anything by Faulkner twice in order to get the most out of it; he likes just dropping you into the middle of incredibly complex and emotional situations in which nobody says anything straight out, and his writing style can be very hard to comprehend at first. So the first time around, you start out unsure how to even read the book and you're mystified as to who all these characters are and how they're related to each other and why they all hate everyone else, until some point close to the end where it all clicks and you're like whoa.

I have to agree.  Faulkner is awesome, but he left me confused.  Finally, I realized, "Wait... there's an appendix to the book.  I'll read that."  I read it, and I finally understood who everyone was.  That wasn't until I finished the first chapter, though, so I need to re-read Benjy's story (Faulkner even stated that he probably should have written the appendix for the first version of his book; he thought it would have prevented people from getting as lost as they did).

It might be a good thing I lost the book, then.  :)

I think I'll be reading John Steinbeck over the break; I've already read several of his books, and I might write my thesis on his work (though I'm still deciding).  I loved The Pastures of Heaven and Of Mice and Men, and I have several I want to read.  :)
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Dragore

• Jesus loves you.
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
i am reading metal gear solid right now and it is mindbogglingly awesome. and i am reading my socialolagy, Spanish and literature textbooks. all are pretty cool. i find sociology fascinating

Offline Kaloth

• Something goes here
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 07:01:03 pm »
Personally it has come to that time of year again when I once more embark on my favorite series, to be honest I must have read it 20 times (earlier books at least each book I have read one less time then the book before it) and so I have started in on the Drizzt Saga by R.A. Salvatore. I am currently on the book Sojourn, the last one in the Dark Elf Trilogy. This book is one of the first time I cried while reading.

Offline Lazarus Lamar

• Hunc tu caveto
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 10:15:30 pm »
At the moment I have just finished reading Alice in wonderland and have just started Through the Looking Glass.
It had popped into my head one day that I had never read any of the classics. So I've decided to go out and see what I'm missing. In fact I was thinking of reading one of Mark Twain's books next, though I've yet to decide which. In fact I'm not really sure what he wrote other than Huckleberry Finn. I'll have to look that up.
life itself is only a vision, a dream, nothing exists but empty space and you. and you are but a thought
Ridentem dicere verum quid vetat? - Horace
My daemon - Chrysarria, a pink (hairless) rat
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Motion

• Male
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 10:26:48 pm »
Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
FCFf3a A-- C D H++ M- P- R- T++++ W--- Z- Sm+ RLMC a cn+++ d+ e+ f h- i++ j p sm++

Veritas vos liberabit.
If I could have dinner with any two people, it would be Carl Sagan and Ben Franklin. Imagine listening to a conversation between those two people. [Maybe invite Tesla over for drinks afterwords]

Offline Gustavson Bookmite

• Male
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:35 pm »
Right now I'm reading Four Past Midnight by Stephen King
It's four short story's written by him.

By the way does anyone know any other good writers like Stephen King, like a horror/action book would be great...
"What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world."
Albert Einstein

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

"I have inner demons... they play board games with me."

Offline Artic Bat

• The Collecter of Artifacts
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 02:54:45 am »
Freezer Manual

Offline Kayle

• Species: Fox
  • Hallelujah, lock and load!
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 03:21:29 pm »
The Tommyknockers, by Stephen King.  It's pretty good.  I am a King junkie.

Just finished:
Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger - excellent book.  The most emo thing I've ever read.
Watership Down, by Richard Adams - Very good.  An amazing story.  I would recommend it for all furries and not furries.
"Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company."
-Mark Twain

Anyone use Telegram?  Hit me up!  Username is KayleStorm!

Offline Kayle

• Male
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 03:24:21 pm »
Right now I'm reading Four Past Midnight by Stephen King
It's four short story's written by him.

By the way does anyone know any other good writers like Stephen King, like a horror/action book would be great...

Four past midnight was pretty good, and look at some Robert McCammon, especially Swan Song.  It's really good.
-Mark Twain

Offline Kinshi

• It's happening!
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 08:25:33 am »
Mostly harmless -douglas adams-
Sometimes I wonder how easily I am influenced by those around me. The need to fit in somewhere always tugs at me from the back of my mind, even though I should be doing my own thing.

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 09:26:20 am »
Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama.  :P
-

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 11:28:21 am »
A Canticle for Leibowitz

Another fan of post-apocalyptic and science fiction

Offline AzureVixen

• I <3 Foxes
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 02:10:38 am »
Lord of the flies by william golding.
It has to be one of the worst books out there. We just finished it today in class. The classroom novels always fail.

Offline WereCat

• Male
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2008, 11:48:06 pm »
It has to be one of the worst books out there. We just finished it today in class. The classroom novels always fail.

Really?  That was my favourite out of the books I read in high school, I really liked it.  Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?

Anyway, a few I've been reading lately;

- "American Gods", by Neil Gaiman
 - "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", by Douglas Adams
 - "The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower", by Stephen King
Mate of Furenzied

I haz an FA now: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/werecat01/

Offline Sskessa

• magically delicious
    • 14 Nights -- A webcomic
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56:06 pm »
Yeah, I also don't know what you're talking about, Arbutus. Hemmingway is verbose as hell.

"He left home at the age of 17 to become a journalist. His first job was a reporter for the Kansas City Star, where it is said he adopted a main tenet of his literary style from the publication's style guide: 'Use short sentences. Use short first paragraphs. Use vigorous English. Be positive, not negative.' "

http://www.literarytraveler.com/authors/hemingway_ernest.aspx

I forgot to respond to this. Yes, you're right, he does use short sentences and positive language. Verbose was the wrong word. What I don't like is how he goes on and on about the setting and little irrelevant details. But I know, I know, he wouldn't be considered great if the details really were irrelevant. I guess I like my fiction with a bit more glamor.
Someone Else's Problem: My adventures in China

I have never had a deep interest in revenge. Revenge is the concern of those who are at some point or other beaten.
-- The Tale of the Body Thief

Offline Dragore

• Jesus loves you.
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 08:42:36 am »
that i do agree on. that book was freaken screwed up. the did things to a dead pig. *shudders*

Offline Motion

• Male
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 09:27:40 am »
Really?  That was my favourite out of the books I read in high school, I really liked it.  Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?

probably due to the fact that it's required reading.
FCFf3a A-- C D H++ M- P- R- T++++ W--- Z- Sm+ RLMC a cn+++ d+ e+ f h- i++ j p sm++

Veritas vos liberabit.
If I could have dinner with any two people, it would be Carl Sagan and Ben Franklin. Imagine listening to a conversation between those two people. [Maybe invite Tesla over for drinks afterwords]

Offline Kayle

• Male
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 02:15:43 pm »
I actually liked "Lord of the Flies".  I hated reading it in class because we had an english teacher that had the mind set of "If it's not what I think, it's wrong", and that kinda screwed it up, but I still liked it.  It really delved into human emotion and instinct, though I don't believe that humanity is that far gone.  (yet)
-Mark Twain

Offline Serathano

• R A W R
  • Male
    • Kobaj.net
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 06:36:48 pm »
Lord of Chaos, the Wheel of time book 6 by robert jordan
My Furry Code: FFTw3a A C- D+ H+ M- P- R++ T+++ W Z- Sm++ RLCT* a- cn++++ d+ e- f h* iwf++ j+ p++ sm--

Signature Picture by: Neifon Baako

Offline onai

• Rawr. That is all.
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 12:20:28 am »
I'm currently reading "The Sight", its a wonderful book -grins-
www.furaffinity.net/user/onai <-- I be makin' fursuits. yar.

Offline Bluestorm Ghost

• Female
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 02:01:27 pm »
Lord of Chaos, the Wheel of time book 6 by robert jordan

Oh, I love the Wheel of Time books.  I'm just finishing rereading The Great Hunt book 2.  It's sad that Robert Jordan died. :'(  He didn't even get to finish the series he spent so much time working on.  I feel even more awful because I used to joke about how he would die before he ever finished. :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:41:02 am by Bluestorm Ghost »
Anything is possible, yet nothing is possible.  So I believe in everything, yet I belive in nothing at all.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Pick a number, any number
  • Male
    • My Furaffinity page
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2008, 01:15:41 pm »
Just started Let the Right One In. The movie was phenomenal, so naturally I had to check out the source material (that's usually how I go in these situations, I see the movie first and then read the book). Only a couple chapters in, but it's really good so far. A tad creepy, solid characters, an actual vampire (suck it Twilight!)... good stuff :)

Offline Edward Vulpes

• Mmm... Fish-shaped volatile organic compounds.
  • Male
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »
Currently re-re-reading The Art of Voice Acting to polish my technique. I learn new things every time I open that book.

Just started Let the Right One In. The movie was phenomenal, so naturally I had to check out the source material (that's usually how I go in these situations, I see the movie first and then read the book). Only a couple chapters in, but it's really good so far. A tad creepy, solid characters, an actual vampire (suck it Twilight!)... good stuff :)

That's what I did after I saw I am Legend; I just had to read the book, since the movie was so striking.

Also, full agreement from me on the Twilight rage. I've never read but a few excerpts of them, but my morbid curiosity got the better of me, and I tried reading a bit of it while out Christmas shopping today.

...yeeeeeeah... Lord Dracula needs to teach some sparkly, angsty teen brats who think they're vampires a lesson.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." -Albert Einstein
"Small child, I have fangs and claws. Please let go of my tail." -Moi

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »
Atlas Shrugged, By Ayn Rand, still...
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arc

• Say g'bye to yer kneecaps, chucklenuts!
  • Female
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2008, 12:53:23 am »
I haven't actually read much in a while. I read the first half of Eye of the World in the Wheel of Time series about 4 times, and had to stop each time due to other schoolwork getting in the way. Now that we're on Christmas break, I'll probably read through all of it. The first half is definitely fantastic though! :p