Author Topic: Animal Visitors  (Read 4273 times)

Offline AeglAxolotty

• Carrot cake is better!
Animal Visitors
« on: December 26, 2011, 06:44:38 pm »
The past few days, even though it's been snowing every night and neither I nor any of my neighbors have any pets, and there aren't many critters running around loose in the area...I've been finding a fresh trail of little paw-prints in the snow everyday that leads from the road right up to my front doorstep and then leaves.

I've also had a group of black birds hang out outside my window when I'm in the room working on something, just watching me curiously from the stairs that go up to my neighbor's place.

Does anyone else get these instances of little visitors that surprise them?
We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals...gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.

--Henry Beston

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
Re: Animal Visitors
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »
Visitors, yes! Surprise, no!

I live up in hills away from civilization. I've seen eagles, hawks, crows, magpies, owls, rabbits, mice, porcupines, coyotes, deer, rattlesnakes, and more. When it snows, I see their tracks. Sometimes I hear them, but it's mostly the coyotes that make noise.
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:22:59 pm »
First, WHY DO YOU HAVE SNOW WHEN I HAD A F****** BROWN CHRISTMAS IN MINNESOTA?

Second, yes, it seems I have a neighbor cat that follows me while I bike...
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:39:41 pm »
First, WHY DO YOU HAVE SNOW WHEN I HAD A F****** BROWN CHRISTMAS IN MINNESOTA?

Second, yes, it seems I have a neighbor cat that follows me while I bike...

Watch the language, please.  >:(

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 09:57:43 pm »
Sry, been a bit mad at MN recently. stupid weather.
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Luggz

• Male
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:30:35 am »
I get various species of bird nesting/feeding in my garden during the spring, mainly Blue Tits, Sparrows, Black Birds and a few families of Starlings. I had Snipe visit as well which was a surprise, I had never seen one before or since.
There are about 4 cats that wander into my garden (at least one pees on my car). Also had a sheep in the garden but that had escaped it's field and went for a walk.

I was driving in the Highlands a few months back when a herd of Reindeer crossed the road.

One Life, Live It

Offline Soulneko

• Hey
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:51:45 am »
crows and varios cats and birds
"I've never talked to a girl before. I don't know how to handle it."
"Hey everyone! Isn't this fun? The door opens to the inside, right?"
"Oh, by the way... my blood is black."
"Because I don't know how to deal with girls...
"Bloody needle." -Crona i love anime

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:00:38 pm »
When I was a kid I had a habit of making friends with all the neighborhood dogs. One Saturday morning I was sitting in the living room watching a Berenstein Bears cartoon when I heard a noise outside. I got up and opened the door and there on the porch was one of my dog friends. Turns out she had had puppies and she brought her new family to visit me. I was touched.

Nowadays we don't get many animal visitors. It's probably a good thing. We live way out in the country in a place where people have been known to dump unwanted pets. It would be sad to see abandoned animals turn up. Fortunately it doesn't happen much anymore. We kept the last one who turned up. She likes to lay beside me when I'm on the computer.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »
There are two neighborhood cats who like to hang out around my house -- a tortie who I call Cloudy and a young, stripey, tabby with long white gloves who I call Stormy.  Cloudy has a long-standing feud with my indoor-only calico cat.  When they see each other through any of our windows, they'll start beating at the glass and yeowrling horribly.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:03 pm »
I get this one neighborhood cat that comes everybother day and my cat goes crazy, not that he already does.
I've seen raccoons before but that's about as diverse as it gets around my house :P
Come find me! More to come!

Offline DreamerHusky

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:32 pm »
I live in what is described as a ''Rural urban'' area.

I live like, 10 metres from farmland. The only thing separating me from the countryside is the neighbour's back yard. But still, I manage to get a nice view of life on the farm. The farmer moves the animals around. So sometimes, there will be sheep, then horses, then cows, then he'lll use it for hay harvesting.

Well, despite living so close to the countryside, the only wildlife I get in my yard are various birds, gray squirrels, hedgehogs, domestic cats and the usual insects.

Lots of birds, so many birds. (mostly European Starlings, Eurasian Blackbirds, Red Robins, Blue Tits etc)

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:54:56 am »
There's a Cardinal's nest in my back yard that's been there for as long as I can remember. I don't think birds work that way..But there seems to be a Cardinal's nest in the back yard every year. Funny story about that, actually.

There was a really really dumb female (could tell by the coloring) that would sit on a bush next to the glass door to the room where the TV and Ps2 are. I remember several days during one summer where I would be minding my own business playing some game, and this female would fly into the sliding glass door, then land on the bush. Then fly into the window, then fall back onto the bush. ......THUMP......THUMP......THUMP.....

This would sometimes go on for hours!

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »
Neighborhood cats seem to like to visit. Several dogs as well. Out in the woods, I have had deer come up to check me out. All sorts of campground raiders, but they are looking for their share of the campground rent. :D

The strangest was a crow that would follow me from time to time. One day, walking home from a friends house, I got the feeling I was being  watched. Turned around to find a crow giving me a good look over. CAW!! Major freak out. :o It followed me all the way home doing that. Turns out it was someones free flying pet. 8) "Dillinger" was a great bird. He was around for a few years.
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Soulneko

• Hey
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:53 pm »
cats like to vist and i do see a lot of crows
"I've never talked to a girl before. I don't know how to handle it."
"Hey everyone! Isn't this fun? The door opens to the inside, right?"
"Oh, by the way... my blood is black."
"Because I don't know how to deal with girls...
"Bloody needle." -Crona i love anime

Offline Tuulikel

• “With a rubber duck, one's never alone”
  • Female
    • Snow Masquerade - Twitter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »
Crows seems to hold a grudge against me. I don't know what I have done to them, but they seems to follow me everywhere and occasionally they like to knock my window. Spiders just hate me and are constantly trying to kill me, though I've tried to be nice to them and I'm pretty sure that butterflies & dragonflies like me, at least they love to circle around me. But mostly my visitors are birds, cats and other common small critters.
I'm sorry, English is not my native language, but I'm doing my best and trying to get better.
https://twitter.com/Snowmasquerade

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »
I live in a desert, so there aren't many animals near the civilian areas except some snakes and birds. But i have had several encounters I find... weird.

First, a tortoise for some reason decided our fenced off yard with two great big dogs was the perfect place to lay eggs. My dogs don't even mind the tortoise and now we are waiting for the babies. :D

Second, most of my neighbors have dogs, and all but two of them thinks it's funny to chase me while I bike! It scares the daylights out of me! I don't get it. I come over and they are all friendly, but once I'm on my bike, I'm a runaway meatball! And my fursona is a dog, too. I don't understand it... :P

Third, One day, a wolf walked into our garage. YES A WOLF. A gray and white wolf bigger than any dog i've ever met, and I've seen great danes before. It walked right into our open garage while I was playing X-Box and layed down next to my chair!  x_x I though for sure I was toast! But it just layed there while I let Call of Duty run at the main menu with the volume off. I stayed still for an hour before it got up and just walked away. I was too scared of going anywhere because the door leading to our house is extremely creaky. the last thing I wanted was an annoyed wolf! :o
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:22:43 pm »
I live in the middle of redneck country :D. I always have animal visitors because when people dont want their dogs or cats they trow them out of the car and run away. We have no animal control but the animals always seem to find my home and my family and i take care of them and find them a loving home. Not wild animals just animals that have been cast away and thrown out of a moving vehicle :o i have seen this. The most animals we had at one time was 8 dogs 2 cats 2 turtles. Now we have 2 dogs and 2 cats. We find homes for them of course. One of the dogs we named Butterbean the sad thing was he was a old huting dog the owner tried to get rid of him we could tell because he showed up to our house full of buckshot :o :o. He has a good home now. We also had stray puppies that we have found recently we named them Theo and Charlie. But in the middle of nowhere and south georgia, redneck country, we get ALOT of visitors and we help them with what we can. :)

P.S. i dont like the south :D and if you want to know more just ask :)
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline Flyntz

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 08:36:16 pm »
Between May-Aug, There's a woodpecker who comes by my window and wakes me up every day at 7:00 am or something, but he has been around for 3 years now!  :)

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 04:57:41 am »
every summer there are 'blue wrens' that bash their heads against the window in the morning (fighting with their reflection).
we've also got a few possums that visit the garden, too bad they are so cute because they are kinda a pest.
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 04:41:46 pm »
There was a neighborhood cat in my front yard this morning wearing a tie-dyed scarf.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly