Author Topic: Unconventional Fursuit (Or would it be armor?)  (Read 40967 times)

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
Unconventional Fursuit (Or would it be armor?)
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:59:47 pm »
Wasn't quite sure where to post this. But it'll most likely be moved if it's wrong.

Anyways, I've been working on designing something similar to a fursuit for some time. Arashi, me, wears a suit of shielded armor. In order to cut costs and make a pretty cool outfit, I'm making a irregular fursuit with a helmet, chesplate, greives and paultrons, and boots of Arashi's armor, with his ears, tail, forearms, paws, basically any fur that'll stick out of the chinks covering the wearer's skin. So, like I'm Arashi wearing his armor.

So, more to the final point; Would this armored monstrosity be considered a full or partial fursuit? And what material should I use for the fur, armor, helmet, helmet visor (It's a full helmet), and such? And in general fursuit questions, etc.?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:20:10 pm by Arashi »
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline Luku

• "Tell 'em I said something cool."
  • Male
Re: Unconventional Fursuit (Or would it be armor?)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:34 am »
I've got a tip for you if you wanna make some armor. Get yourself a hot-glue gun and sheets of foam (you know the stuff, it's like 0.5mm thick and you can buy it from craft stores). Cut it with scissors, wrap it around to fit you, and glue as you're going along. I've made some costumes this way. Just spraypaint it silver or whatever and it'll look like the real deal! (:

That's made from foam - but I stuck on a load of assorted plastic containers that were going in the trash. Hot glue is your friend. :D

There're tutorials on Youtube that'll tell you how to make helmets. Mostly Halo and Iron Man helmets, yes, but the techniques are exactly the same.

Can't help you with the fur :'(. I've only made a few tails while I've been in the fandom so that's the limit of my abilities I'm afraid.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31:06 pm »
Actually, That would do great for the Extensive Aesthetics (The hot-glue and such). The main problem is, I wanted to make the Grieves, Helmet and most of the cuirass out of actual materials used in armor. I.E., Kevlar. I may use fiberglass for the heavier parts (Helmet frame, Cuirass frame, Grieve upper legpieces) though. I'm trying to make this authentic... extremely. The only part I can't and won't reproduce are the helmet's HUD and comm software (the comms would be toned down, extremely) and of course, the back-mounted shield generator. Such a shame. If only energy shielding were real.

Anyways, anyone know the base rate for good fiberglass and kevlar? Per pound?

Also, any Cooling system ideas that work would be appreciated. This will DEFINETLY be heavier than a normal fursuit, and I'd rather not die due to heat exhaustion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:33:52 pm by Arashi »

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:47:50 am »
Most fursuiting or mascot sites either sell or have links to various cooling accessories, such as vests and refrigerated cubes for your cold accessories. :)
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »
Ah, thanks ^.^ That would be object 56 down for the search, and I need 5 more. Mainly the heavier-duty materials; Visor glass (One-Way in Purple), LED strands in purple, Glowing Purple paint, Fiberglass, and Kevlar.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:09:38 pm »
Have you tried going to cosplay websites and forums? I'd think they'd have more information and resources for making armor and such since a lot of anime characters wear armor.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »
Mm... Good point ^.^ Besides, I am planning on giving the suit a pair of alts using the same base; A furry version, lacking sleeves, neck armor, a left paultron, gloves, and arm armor in general except for a right shoulder paultron, with a tail and ears on the helm, which has an elongated helmet to contain Arashi's "Muzzle".

The huma version, has sleeves, neck armor, a different helmet faceplate, no ears/tail (Ears being replaced with communication antennae, and the tail's armor hole and whatnot being replaced with a armor pouch.), a left shoulderpad, and a pair of wrist armor sets.

BTW, what are the rules regarding weapon-related material at furcons? The suit has some weapon holsters. Not RL weapons, of course, just replicas of Liani-age weaponry. Sorry for the unrelated thing, but it's just a question that is related to the suit. Kindof part of the authenticity.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:30:10 pm »
BTW, what are the rules regarding weapon-related material at furcons? The suit has some weapon holsters. Not RL weapons, of course, just replicas of Liani-age weaponry. Sorry for the unrelated thing, but it's just a question that is related to the suit. Kindof part of the authenticity.

I haven't been to many fur cons except for AC, and they ban weapon replicas. Each con may be different in it's policies, so you'll have to view a con's website for more information. Anime cons might be a little more lenient I think in regard to weapon replicas.

Offline Arashi_Calunata

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:35:52 pm »

I haven't been to many fur cons except for AC, and they ban weapon replicas. Each con may be different in it's policies, so you'll have to view a con's website for more information. Anime cons might be a little more lenient I think in regard to weapon replicas.

Again, thanks ^.^ The replicas are pretty realistic... I've got a Hardlight rifle replica that looks more like a fancy version of the AUG with a heavier stock and such o.o