Author Topic: Comission lag, What to do?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Scupper

• Species: Fox dog thingy.
  • Male
Comission lag, What to do?
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:12 pm »
So, I was starting another post and this topic came to mind.

I commissioned a partial suit a while back and the artist is now in breach of contract. I'm a patient person, but after dealing with things like project sourcing and logistical issues in a field installation environment.... I'm beginning to get a little frustrated. Now this wouldn't bother me in most cases but I am vexed with said artist's ability to respond to my emails. It's taken up to three weeks to obtain a response. This could be my fault; however, being someone who has had to work under deadlines I try not to blow up peoples inboxes.... I don't believe that to be the case.

I should also mention that in previous mail she informed me of an injury to a loved one. This also plays into while I have been reluctant to escalate.

This was the last email I sent. Was this too harsh?

Hello,

I would like to start by saying that I hope the both you are well. I
also hope that you believe that when I say that I do so with sincerity.
That being said, I’m afraid I have to steer the subject toward a more
serious matter. I have sent numerous emails asking for simple information.
These emails have mostly gone unaddressed. Even so, I have done my best
to allow you the time needed to deal with the unfortunate circumstances
that life has dealt both you and your loved ones.

Email hacked or not you have displayed a lack of attention to the
contract that we both signed and I feel that I have been gracious in
allowing you leeway considering your situation. Contractually we agreed
on a completion date of 08/14/2013 with a maximum delay of 1.5 months by
my math we are now 61 days beyond that initial limit and the maximum.

You said in your last email that you would be sending pictures of the
current state of my suit last weekend (10.12.2013-10.13.2013).
Please...... Just tell me what's going on.

This is all I'm asking for:

1# Photos of current completion.

2# A SOLID completion date.

3# An option other than legal action.

~~~Please let me know what you think.

You know these people. They go to sleep, they think everything’s fine, everything’s good.... Then they wake up and they're on fire.

Offline Scion Tyven

• Male
Re: Comission lag, What to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:48:32 pm »
I've never commissioned a suit before, but I have done art, and I think that's more than fair. You've already sent payment and everything?
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." - Steven Erikson

Offline Scupper

• Male
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:55:09 pm »
I've never commissioned a suit before, but I have done art, and I think that's more than fair. You've already sent payment and everything?

Yessir,

I paid in full.

I've also commissioned a full suit that will not be started until march of next year (thus the partial). However my dealing with that artist has been much more professional.

Thanks for the reply I've been feeling like the bad guy for the past few days.

~Scupper
You know these people. They go to sleep, they think everything’s fine, everything’s good.... Then they wake up and they're on fire.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:37:36 pm »
I guess I have to ask the obvious: Did you read and/or use my fursuit commission tutorial?
http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk%27s-fursuit-guides/how-to-commission-a-fursuit-version-2-0/

Offline Scupper

• Male
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:46:14 pm »
I guess I have to ask the obvious: Did you read and/or use my fursuit commission tutorial?
http://forums.furtopia.org/kobuk%27s-fursuit-guides/how-to-commission-a-fursuit-version-2-0/

Well, Kobuk. Sadly I did not. Knowing now that it exists I will. But to quote Shel Silverstein: "I fear the hour is much too late"  :goldwink:

Offline SPark

• Female
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 04:26:58 pm »
You might consider checking out http://artists-beware.livejournal.com/ and having a look at some of the posts there.  There's a lot of good advice on what to do and what not to do.

Mentioning it can also be a means of last resort, if the artist keeps ignoring you.  Sometimes you need a stick as well as a carrot and "I'll be forced to make a public post about the situation" can sometimes be enough of a lever to pry finished work out of somebody.