Author Topic: OOC RP discussion (Open for anyone to use)  (Read 29654 times)

Offline T-Yoshi45

• 80% Raccoon, 20% Wolf, 100% Awesome!
  • Male
Re: RP idea
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 10:49:58 pm »
i'm just curious, how would you select who ends up playing which character?

Profile pic by Sandy Schreiber, her work's awesome!

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 05:05:54 am »
I couldput names in a randomizer
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline SkyFire

• Species: Pheonus Vulneras
  • The Sky is grey, for my Rose did fade away.
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 08:19:52 am »
My names are:

Seth
Draco
Tyrranas Dracon(if you don't know what frostmourne is, you're not getting him...)
Sky(the ranger general)
Zeron montoya(the Druid of south wind)
Bolvar fordragon(the original, not the angel or the vamp)
Every great hero has walked the fine line between darkness and the light. Every legendary hero has set foot in both.
10K post club.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 03:47:05 pm »
I'm thinking of doing a poke'mon RP sometime... a gritty one of course. Not anytime soon though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:53:10 pm by Trenyth »

Offline HazardJackal

Re: OOC RP discussion (Open for anyone to use)
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:33 pm »
The RP boards are a mess, and it's saddening to see it like this. As many of us have said before, we need to get this place running smoothly, and i agree.  However, I say we lay down some ground rules, to avoid dead zones like right now.  These don't have to be set in stone laws that can't be broken, they should be more like guidelines for how to improve a RP.  Here are a few of my concerns and suggestions:

1:  This is a big concern of mine, and as far as i can tell, a big reason for the lack of activity, AND quality of our recent RPs.  Too many players.  I'm not saying we should be turning people away to keep the numbers low, but for certain types of RP, it is difficult to support large groups of players.  Having a large group often causes problems in two ways, the first being the fact that if someone goes AWOL, the whole RP grinds to a halt until they get back.  Large groups also tend to make the RPs chaotic and difficult to follow, due to the massive lineup of characters.  Still lets make sure this doesn't lead to a closed community of people who won't accept new players just to keep the party small, though know you guys, i doubt that will be a problem.

2:  A player should not spread their grubby little fingers down EVERY throat.  What i mean by this is that a player shouldn't join every RP on the board.  Fist off, they will overextend themselves and be able to pay less attention to each RP they are in, but more importantly, should that person go missing, even for a short time, all RPs in question will be held up by their absence.  A good example of both these problems would be Sledge; he was in most every RP on the board, and look what happened once he went AWOL.

3:  Another issue i've noticed is how often people will rush their post in order to react to a situation before somebody else.  Not only does this lessen the quality of the RP by creating simplistic and rushed posts, it's also an excellent catalyst for starting an argument.  One way to help dampen this problem would be to have the DM set down some rules (and when required, in game reminders) of how to respond to this situation.  Let me give you an example:

Kazek and Gnarko are playing a game of cards.  Kazek seems to have the upper hand, but Gnarko has sets down four aces. Kazek has an ace in his hand, so he knows that Gnarko cheated.

Here is what i see as a typical response, from the player in Kazek's situation:

"You're cheating!" He pulls out his revolver and shoves it in Gnarko's face. "I should'a seen you for the dirty snitch you are" He pulls the hammer back and growls.

This responce is unfair, for the player of Gnarko had no chance to react.  The player may say 'But Gnarko would have flipped the table into Kazek's face at the first sign of trouble!'  And so a time wasting argument would ensue, and the DM would have to get involved.  In most cases, all three parties would walk away from this angrily.  The response is also all action, no detail.  Details are important to set the scene and better convey characters.

Now, here is an example of a much better response:

Kazek was pleased with the current turnout of the match, he had been on a role, and due to his opponents lack of skill, soon he would walk away significantly richer <"Heh, this sucker just don't know how to play...  Once i get mah moolah, i can bail out jimmy from the jail, and we'll be back on our way to rob them wagon trains..."> The smug grin on his face dropped however, when he saw the four aces hit the table.  A fire began to rage behind his eyes, and his claws began to dig into the wooden table. <"I should'a known that lout was a dirty cheat! He's gonna regret ever setting foot in this saloon!">  Kazek's paw shot towards his revolver, quite ready to blow this scaled scumbag's puny little brains out.

This response is better twenty-fold, if not more.  Why?  One:  It goes into much more detail, which not only helps convey the story, but also describes the more subtle aspects of the characters and environment.  Two:  It describes the feelings of the character both through his thoughts, and his actions.  This helps define the character, make him more interesting, and improves the feel of the RP significantly. Also, notice that Kazek's thoughts helped explain other events in the story; this is helpful to keep everyone on the same page, and in all reality, make the character's thoughts realistic Three: It give the other player time enough to respond with his own actions, and if this player does the same, OH MY GOD, where did the argument go!?  Another bonus of this, there can be just as much action and just as intense situations, but without the chaos that so often clouds our RPs.

I mean, go back and reread them; just look at the difference! THIS is what determines if an RP is awesome, or sub-par.  When the staff said that the RP board is bland and boring, they were both right and wrong.  While our RPs are pretty cool, the stuff they'd been used to was probably so much better.  If we can create stories just as enthralling, i know they'd have more respect for us, and being respected feels good.

Now that we know what to aim for, lets show them staff what we's capable of once we know what the hell we's doin!

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »
[IMPORTANT!]
Okay, i got some bad news...  In order for me to be able to get my RPs going, i'll need to put one of them on hold, as they're too much for me to manage all at once (especially with things going on outside of the forums).

I need everyone to take a vote, for which one's for me to focus on.  You must vote for two RPs, but you can't vote twice for one.  You do not have to be part of one of my RPs to vote (This would include staff members); if there's anyone else like me, you may also be following RPs you are not taking part in, and i will count your votes as well.

A Disturbance on the Frontier: 0

Poke'mon RP: 1

The Pit Fights (Season 2): 0
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:40:30 pm by Trenyth »

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 04:27:18 pm »
The pokemon RP for sure, as for my other vote...i'll get back to you on that. And how long would said hold be for?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:41:01 pm by T-Yoshi45 »

Offline Jackie

• Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
I get that the board has been very quiet but it's not like much has changed, It's just that summer is over now and many people don't have the same amount of free time that they had before.
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 06:30:13 pm »
Thank you all for NOT voting, i really appreciate it!  Now, since you guys obviously don't give a carp about which ones will be going on hold, i'm going to do you all a favor by being a total jerk and putting them ALL on hold.  Not like it will change anything, as all three have been moving like molasses for that past few... i lost count now, and that's just sad, this place  used to be so lively and exiting, and now it's like watching paint dry, but you actually expect it to do something, just to be disappointed.  So, while you guys all sit around and hope for something to happen, i will take great pleasure in doing schoolwork, and hopefully i'll finish my preparations for my RPs, but knowing me i'll probably just procrastinate and play video games.

Good day.

Heh, nothing to see here folks... move along...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:32:20 pm by Trenyth »

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »
Well......seeing as my vote is not the de facto decision... I guess i'll just play some la noire or something...Getting tired of seeing this place come to a standstill as well...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:05:25 pm by T-Yoshi45 »

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 02:10:46 am »
[Null]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:50:47 pm by Trenyth »

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 02:19:05 am »
one question, who's MP? but regardless, i'll pm Becky and we'll sort this out. Believe me, times have not been easy since what happened with Sledge.

And sidenotes on my RPs, DeathWard is on hold for the moment, and i'm still trying to salvage Fading Hope: 20 Weeks.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 02:30:33 am »
MP is MysticalPrince.

Once again, i'm really sorry, but at this point, i'll try most anything if it means delivering these RPs...

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 02:43:17 am »
okay thanks for clarifying. Not to guilt you but this feels like an RPer's sophie's choice. And I mean that in the best way possible...

And you're right, following Rps can be quite fun, I just got done with Alphas, really good.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:46:30 am by T-Yoshi45 »

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 02:50:02 am »
Not to guilt you but this feels like an RPer's sophie's choice. And I mean that in the best way possible...

I've never heard this expression... mind explaining?

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 02:52:07 am »
it's an old WWII movie where the mother had to decide which of her children to save......pretty sad stuff....But in simplest terms, a difficult choice.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 02:54:26 am »
Yeah... i can see that...  I'm just so desperate for something to happen, i'm willing to try just about anything if it means getting this stuff going...

Offline Kodoku

• Species: Korean Jindo
  • Dog treats!?
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 07:26:41 am »
I suppose I could back out. I'll find somethin, less stressful on y'all anyhow.
I'll have to find somewhere else to start off.

Offline Jackie

• Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 07:41:50 am »
Thank you all for NOT voting, i really appreciate it!  Now, since you guys obviously don't give a carp about which ones will be going on hold, i'm going to do you all a favor by being a total jerk and putting them ALL on hold.  Not like it will change anything, as all three have been moving like molasses for that past few... i lost count now, and that's just sad, this place  used to be so lively and exiting, and now it's like watching paint dry, but you actually expect it to do something, just to be disappointed.  So, while you guys all sit around and hope for something to happen, i will take great pleasure in doing schoolwork, and hopefully i'll finish my preparations for my RPs, but knowing me i'll probably just procrastinate and play video games.

Good day.

You know before you create an angry long post, It is advisable to give people more than one day to vote. Also, I'm tired of saying this but, Summer is over, People are busy at work, at school, at college. The board has not died forever, People will come back when they get the time. You are all making it out as though everyone has deserted the board on purpose.

I would vote but I don't believe I am a part of any of those RP's. I will try and post as often as I can, And join a few games if it will liven up the board for you all. ;) Just let me know which ones I should join.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:52:07 am by The bear guy »

Offline Gauthar

• Male
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 04:44:23 pm »
Ok still up for pokemon and stuff i am also a bit on trenths side on too many rps and posts go fast a person who may be gone at work, school or something comes back to three new pages of one liner posts which basically a. One liners should be banned period for someone to spend time and make a nice post to be responded with a one liner is annoying and feels as if person responding doesnt care. Or how they one line a fight or auto hit....or say they did this and this is how you react. Yeah no

B. The person also gets annoyed cause they were basically forgotten as the rp went from 4 people to 2 one lining with no rhyme or reason. So a post order might be nice to prevent double posts before everyone had time to react

On another not this being rp and if you post something that defies all logic like when me, becky, mp and others did that one rp together where mp took everyone without ability to say otherwisw and ignored a post of them leaving area...to place where they couldnt use magic no escape till they did his bidding etc etc and kept doing with last bit of strength he did this and passes out rhen post right after same to prevent stuff.

Note dont know how he rps now was a note dont be offended mp just example

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2013, 05:02:26 pm »
I think the three line minimum is a good rule to follow. Believe me, I have been guilty of shortposting in RPs but sometimes less is more. i'm not justifying one-liners by any means but the length of the post depends on the setting, style, and pace of the RP cause there are times when shorter posts work like more action-centric RPs or conversations and other times where great detail is needed like more story-driven RPs or intros.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »
alright, i've made up my mind, and i'm going to stick with it.  Ignore the whole thing from above, here's what going to happen.

Pit fights and Poke'mon thing are on hold, as i don't have as much planned out for them.

Disturbance on the Frontier is going to be (Re)started by the end of tomorrow.

Players:
T-Yoshi
BeckyL96
MysticalPrince

Sarngier, Skyfire, and Acheron, your still be in, but as the three of you are currently absent (For various reasons) I will start without you.  I already have some things for how to get you into the party mid-game.

Oh yeah, and to keep things sane, we will be meeting OUTSIDE the bar this time.  It would take far too long to explain all the chaos going on in there anyway...

Disturbance on the Frontier is going to be (Re)started by the end of tomorrow.

Ah hah ha aha hah ah ahaha haha ha!!  AS IF!!  Hah! Ahah aha haha hah ah aha haha ha ha!!  Heh! Eh heh, oooohh... daaamn, i suck at life... heh eh...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:17:54 pm by Trenyth »

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 11:45:18 pm »
[Null]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:49:56 pm by Trenyth »

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2013, 08:48:28 pm »
I had an idea; what if we RPers had a (bi)monthly vote, and give out awards for things like 'favorite character' or 'best plot twist' or 'most likely to decapitate'?  I think it would be some good fun, and who knows, it might create some constructive competition?

Anyone interested in trying this out?

Offline T-Yoshi45

• Male
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »
I like that idea, we should also do the practice RPs periodically...they're great testing grounds for new characters