Author Topic: Official Petition to Add the Gray Wolf Back to the Endangered Species Act  (Read 4963 times)

Offline caninesrock

• Female
So, I subscribe to the site care 2 action and I just recieved this email from them:

Hi Ashley,

The U.S. Senate stood strong against 18 budget riders that would have had severe consequences to our environment, but a serious one was still allowed to slip through. Thanks to the new budget deal, the gray wolf will be stripped of its endangered species status.

Tell Congress to stop its attack against the Endangered Species Act and to protect the gray wolf. »

The gray wolf is an icon of the wilderness of the Northern Rockies, but they have been close to extinction before. Its estimated that the gray wolf population is only 10% what it once was world-wide.

By the 1930's, most of the wolves in the U.S. had been killed, and it is only because of intense reintroduction efforts that population numbers are sustainable today.

This is the first time that Congress has ever removed an animal from the Endangered Species list, and we cannot let this purely political attack continue.

Demand that Congress end its attack on the Endangered Species Act and restore the vital protection status to the gray wolf. »

Thanks for taking action!

Cori
ThePetitionSite
Please sign here if you guys can. It has 36,000 signatures appromimately,but it needs 40,000 signatures.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/510/521/869/?z00m=19962787

Banner made by my friend Alex(who isn't a member here) and used with permission. Avatar is screenshot of Jacob in wolf form from Twilight movie.

Offline DreamerHusky

Signed. Lets hope they reconsider.

Offline Avor

• Male
The state of wolves is a sad one to say the least. The biggest problem is over protective and paranoid people. They don't not understant the nature of the animals, how it reacts and how to be in balance with them. You could get these people to save species, but as soon as there is a single attack*, they will be up in arms, wanting to shoot them from choppers again. These are the same kind of people who ran into the sea to murder stingrays after Steve Irwin died.

As much as I would like to see this petetion work, by society's flaws of fear and hate it is going to fail.

*By attack I mean, "Little stupid kid wanders alone, where he should not go, and thought the hungry wolf was just dog wanting to play."

Offline vanilla

speaking from around 20+ years experience, the grey wolf is quite far from being at risk for extinction. the main trouble for these populations is encroachment from civilization and "pocketing" populations in small areas, cutting them off from the genetic diversity needed to maintain health. the endangered species act was never meant to protect against this sort of thing. a charity or non-profit initiative that would focus on relocating these populations, or better policies with local governments to identify and limit growth near these populations until a means of relocating them would be a far better solution.

Offline caninesrock

• Female
speaking from around 20+ years experience, the grey wolf is quite far from being at risk for extinction. the main trouble for these populations is encroachment from civilization and "pocketing" populations in small areas, cutting them off from the genetic diversity needed to maintain health. the endangered species act was never meant to protect against this sort of thing. a charity or non-profit initiative that would focus on relocating these populations, or better policies with local governments to identify and limit growth near these populations until a means of relocating them would be a far better solution.
Wolves have already been relocated once in the 90s when they had to be reintroduced in the wild. Many states put up so much of a fight about wolves being reintroduced that the biologists were unable to relocate them back into all of their former range and had to split them up among the few states that had national parks and/or didn't mind wolves.

Banner made by my friend Alex(who isn't a member here) and used with permission. Avatar is screenshot of Jacob in wolf form from Twilight movie.

Offline vanilla

I'm aware of the state sponsored projects for wolf relocation, but i'm unaware of a federal level one, and putting the wolf on the ESA wouldn't actually help relocate them - the smaller populations would breed themselves out of existence. the problem is resistance at the state level with existing areas of encroachment in former wolf ranges. and as relocation can be both complicated and expensive, not to mention isn't a guarantee of successful integration, few organizations have the ability to dedicate the funds or the manpower to the project. it's a sad state. new legislation should be the goal, not adding them to the ESA.

Offline Fenny the Fox

Essentially, when an animal species reaches this point of re-population, it is in the best interest of the animal to be protected by state efforts rather than federal - aka ESA. The ESA actually can hinder the local efforts to relocate and protect small, pocketed, encroaching/encroached upon groups - which will, sadly, be killed off by disease, human action (outside those wanting to help). While the ESA is a good thing for a species that is very much in danger of extinction, it does not really help a group that is no longer at risk of extinct, but that is at risk from the perils of re-population into an environment that no longer is setup to hold the same size groups as before.

Also, as I failed to see this mentioned in the provided material, as far as I know (and this could be skewed due sources, please let me know for sure), the removal is not universal. But allows for exceptions for certain states.

While I do not personally agree with removal for certain states, and I do want to see the species protected in some way, I feel that the ESA is no longer the best possible protection for the wolves. And that action within the states as opposed to Federal would be in the best interest. So a petition to the congressional body of the states in question would go farther for the animals than a petition to the US Congress.

Just my take on this, having been thinking about it since reading the news last week when this came to light.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Kolebra

I signed the petition even though it may not be the best solution. It is sad that that we have millions of suitable acres in the U.S. alone yet relocation is hindered somehow. It seems no matter how hard we try or how good our intent we end up doing more harm than good.

*Howls mournfully*
“Be not disturbed at being misunderstood; be disturbed rather at not being understanding”.

Offline Fen-Fen

• lol u mad?
  • Female
Where's the petition for the Fossa or the Giant otter?

Just sayin'.
And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom,
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man,
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.

Offline Fenny the Fox

...They're not American species and therefore ensuring they are on the U.S. Endangered Species Listing would do absolutely no good?
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

Offline Fen-Fen

• lol u mad?
  • Female
...They're not American species and therefore ensuring they are on the U.S. Endangered Species Listing would do absolutely no good?

I'm just making a point that there are endangered animals aside from the wolf who have even smaller numbers than they do. It's just irritating to see that furries only care about the "cool looking" animals.
And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom,
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man,
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Where's RedneckFur when we need him. LOL. He always made posts in these "save the wolves" threads that made a lot of sense as to why they have to thin out the heards.

That being said, I was looking up some more info on this and I think this is one time I'd side with something like this petition. At first I was questioning the claim this was the first time congress removed an animal from the endagered list. While it's by far NOT the first animal ever removed, I was kinda surprised that congress has no direct say in what animals are on the list (I originally thought they were invovled, hense why I questioned it). So there was no need for them to get scientific input to make the decision, bypassing the actual Endangered Species Act rules. Also, being a rider to a bigger bill, it's possible a lot of the congressmen didn't know this was even in the bill. If they did, it makes me wonder how many voted for the budget bill (and thus this particular issue) that would have voted against the delisting if it was a seperate bill.

Should the wolves be on the list? That's not for me to decide. But I do disagree about how they pulled this off.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Fenny the Fox

I'm just making a point that there are endangered animals aside from the wolf who have even smaller numbers than they do. It's just irritating to see that furries only care about the "cool looking" animals.

I do agree with you here. It is very very obnoxious to me. Especially since the wolf is far from extinction at this point in reality.

But, as my primate studies professor pointed out early on, flagship species are essential to conservation. And wolves (in furry and in public overall) are indeed just that: a flagship species for endangered animals in North America. Even if they are far from being the most in need of help.

Where's RedneckFur when we need him. LOL. He always made posts in these "save the wolves" threads that made a lot of sense as to why they have to thin out the heards.

That being said, I was looking up some more info on this and I think this is one time I'd side with something like this petition. At first I was questioning the claim this was the first time congress removed an animal from the endagered list. While it's by far NOT the first animal ever removed, I was kinda surprised that congress has no direct say in what animals are on the list (I originally thought they were invovled, hense why I questioned it). So there was no need for them to get scientific input to make the decision, bypassing the actual Endangered Species Act rules. Also, being a rider to a bigger bill, it's possible a lot of the congressmen didn't know this was even in the bill. If they did, it makes me wonder how many voted for the budget bill (and thus this particular issue) that would have voted against the delisting if it was a seperate bill.

Should the wolves be on the list? That's not for me to decide. But I do disagree about how they pulled this off.

You certainly do have a point. Not to go into political mode, but riders such as this, honestly, should be eliminated completely - as they are rarely ever something that actually has any real base of support or chance to make it on its own.
Though I still hold that I believe that states and separate organizations would do a better job at this point.

Offline caninesrock

• Female

Most of those more endangered animals aren't North American species, so they're none of my concern since I can't do anything to save them. Would I love to see help for Ethiopian wolves or African Wild dogs? Absolutely. But can I do anything to help them? No. I'm not an african citizen. I can't fight for protection of animals in other countries.  I can only fight for protection of american animals as an american citizen.

Also, simiiarlity I could ask you why you think only the so called "not cool" species deserve protection,but just because an animal is supposely "cool" and/or well known it doesn't need protection? I think the problem with wolves is that people are looking at the whole world population. Yes, they are far from endangered in most of Europe,but wolves are only  in like 5 states in the United States. I don't want to end up like Ireland where we once had wolves in our country but don't anymore.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:14:31 pm by caninesrock »

Offline Brad9995

• Male
sighed and proud, wolfs should be saved!!

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
You know what would be more effective than signing an online petition that will never ever be seen by congress? Certainly not taken seriously if it is?

Write your congressperson. All of them, actually. Senate, House, local, state all of them. Use google and find out how they voted on this amendment (if it even exists in the form as suggested by the petition writer) and then write to them and say "I agree with what you did" or "I disagree with what you did." There's plenty of resources on the internet on how to write to a congressperson, if you need help.

Stop taking feel-good measures like signing a useless webpage and actually do something if you actually give a crap. 

Also, blah blah blah wolves blah blah keep your opinions out of my state, you don't live here blah blah blah what about the other animals endangered blah blah blah.
My Furaffinity! May contain mature images.
FFLw3ad A C D+ H++ M- P+++ R++ T++ W Z- Sf+ RLGP* a cn++ d+ e++ f+ h i++ p* sm+

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
You know what would be more effective than signing an online petition that will never ever be seen by congress? Certainly not taken seriously if it is?

Write your congressperson. All of them, actually. Senate, House, local, state all of them. Use google and find out how they voted on this amendment (if it even exists in the form as suggested by the petition writer) and then write to them and say "I agree with what you did" or "I disagree with what you did." There's plenty of resources on the internet on how to write to a congressperson, if you need help.

Stop taking feel-good measures like signing a useless webpage and actually do something if you actually give a crap.

I couldn’t agree more, but unfortunately, 2011 is an off-year, it would have meant so much more last October or earlier.

Also, blah blah blah wolves blah blah keep your opinions out of my state, you don't live here blah blah blah what about the other animals endangered blah blah blah.

Uh... ? ? ? ? ? ...What?
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
Reiterating what other people were saying in a snarky manner. I also live in Wyoming and am sick of people who don't live here telling us how to manage our animal populations because they think we're the nation's petting zoo full of dumb cowboys who don't understand how to manage an animal population or what the importance of it is.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Keep the thread civil or it will be moved to the Debate forum.  >:(

Offline Storm Fox

Very well then, I’ll just say this.

Reducing a local population of animals by 80% if not more, is not management, it’s extermination. x_x

I could say much more but I’ll simply leave it as that.

Offline TCD

• Furry Elitist
  • Female
Very well then, I’ll just say this.

Reducing a local population of animals by 80% if not more, is not management, it’s extermination. x_x

I could say much more but I’ll simply leave it as that.

Proof plz. I want to read where it says that any state will require "80% reduction." Worst I've heard is pest status with wolves...in places where they are actually pests, livestock-eating pests. Like Wyoming.

You know what? I should just stop, because it's futile to make you believe what I'm trying to say. Go write your congressperson, go donate to sinapu so they can write your congressperson. Quit arguing with me.  

Kobuk: You know how we were talking about "topics on furry stuff that keep coming up and are really annoying to discuss"? Maybe along with "how do I tell my parents" and "what fursona are you" we should add "halp the wolves are being shot!" to the list.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:35:50 pm by TCD »

Offline Storm Fox

Proof plz. I want to read where it says that any state will require "80% reduction." Worst I've heard is pest status with wolves...in places where they are actually pests, livestock-eating pests. Like Wyoming.

You know what? I should just stop, because it's futile to make you believe what I'm trying to say. Go write your congressperson, go donate to sinapu so they can write your congressperson. Quit arguing with me. 

Kobuk: You know how we were talking about "topics on furry stuff that keep coming up and are really annoying to discuss"? Maybe along with "how do I tell my parents" and "what fursona are you" we should add "halp the wolves are being shot!" to the list.
An old link

And a new link

It wouldn’t take long to find 30 more on the same story.

However I think you misunderstand me, I don’t have a problem with Wyoming or it’s people, it’s just the government that runs it, besides, my beef is with Idaho, far more than Wyoming.
And from what I’ve read over the last several years is that Idaho, or more specifically Butch Otter, started a lot of the bloodlust, and Wyoming and Montana want to jump on the bandwagon.
There’s a big difference between protecting your property or interests, and an all out lynch mob.

Also, you talk about making me believe what you say, although it’s not a question of belief, but to understand the other side as well as your own.
For one to believe their own side without heed to other ideas and concepts is the path of ignorance.
It’s better to understand both sides and have true knowledge of the situation, even if your beliefs don’t change,
That way whatever anyone believes is there own decision, and not what others have made them believe.

And that goes for the both of us as well as everyone else.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
It's one thing to stop trophy hunting,  but let people protect their livestock.

Unless you're the one having to live with them yourself,  i wouldn't say you know the situation well enough.

I'm sure they'd survive in all the states where the people signing these petitions live...  like California...  And it's not like there isn't plenty of government owned nature reserves.  Just introduce wolves back into them where they used to be.  (not saying everyone who signs such petitions lives in California,  just an example.)  And then if you want to deal with them eating your cat when it gets out at night that's great.

There's more than one way to fight a near extinction problem with a species that was known to live and survive darned near worldwide.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:12:41 pm by Alsek »

Offline 489109

• Male
I am all for getting the Gray Wolves on the endangered species list. I can think of a few more to add to such as: Red Fox, Mountain Cat, Wolverine, Black Bear, Opossum, Lions, Dogs, Tigers, Arctic Wolves, Domestic Cats and Dragons.

Yep, that's a good start. :orhorse:

Offline caninesrock

• Female
I may not live in Wyomning,but have experience from my own state(or rather state I was forced to live in after Katrina. )A more extreme example of what I"m trying to say is  the Red Wolf(I know they're not the same species as gray wolves but still) used to live here in Texas,but because of the ignorance of people saying they have right to massacre a large population of a species to "protect their livestock" almost caused  them to go extinct. They weren't put on the endangered species list until there were only 80 left in the wild. I don't want the same thing to happen to the gray wolf because they wait until the problem is extremely serious and it's almost too late to do anything.  Even though I love wolves, I don't mind if people shoot a specific wolf that they've caught eating their livestock,but hunting all wolves in the area is a little drastic, impulsive, and seems to me to be mostly done out of pure hatred and spite of wolves, rather than any real purpose though. Another example of what I'm trying to say(though I can't speak much for this one since I'm not a resident of Australia and never have been) is that the thylacine(tasmanian tiger) went extinct because of people "protecting thier livestock".