Author Topic: Official Petition to Add the Gray Wolf Back to the Endangered Species Act  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
With modern-day game regulations being what they are, it is doubtful that wolves will ever be eradicated as in the Old Western times by frontier ranchers and no conservation programs. In northern MI, WI, and MN there are more wolves than agreed to in the natural species act. It's clear that grey wolves are re-established. I have no issue with limited hunts so long as the animal is utilized and appreciated. I don't believe wolves are evil, but I don't believe they deserve special status either.

We have 500 moose in MI, and they're talking about a limited hunt. Just like they do for elk. Good luck obtaining a permit, even to shoot a cow elk, as you'll have better luck playing the slots on the nearest reservation. Only limited numbers of permits are issued.

We understand the tendency to romance the wolf, but it does them no favors. The term "luxury kill" is mentioned when the matter comes up on outdoor programs. That is when the wolf kills prey but leaves it behind. Family pets and livestock attacked/killed on occassion and a few humans treed in Northern MI. These particular wolves don't seem to fear people. Fear of humans is not a bad thing for any animal with instincts for self-preservation.

Coyotes, on the other paw, may be shot/trapped at any time here in MI. At one time, their fur was used to line parka hoods for the military.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline caninesrock

• Female
With modern-day game regulations being what they are, it is doubtful that wolves will ever be eradicated as in the Old Western times by frontier ranchers and no conservation programs. In northern MI, WI, and MN there are more wolves than agreed to in the natural species act. It's clear that grey wolves are re-established. I have no issue with limited hunts so long as the animal is utilized and appreciated. I don't believe wolves are evil, but I don't believe they deserve special status either.

We have 500 moose in MI, and they're talking about a limited hunt. Just like they do for elk. Good luck obtaining a permit, even to shoot a cow elk, as you'll have better luck playing the slots on the nearest reservation. Only limited numbers of permits are issued.

We understand the tendency to romance the wolf, but it does them no favors. The term "luxury kill" is mentioned when the matter comes up on outdoor programs. That is when the wolf kills prey but leaves it behind. Family pets and livestock attacked/killed on occassion and a few humans treed in Northern MI. These particular wolves don't seem to fear people. Fear of humans is not a bad thing for any animal with instincts for self-preservation.

Coyotes, on the other paw, may be shot/trapped at any time here in MI. At one time, their fur was used to line parka hoods for the military.

I personally don't believe any animal should be killed for any reason other than for food or needed clothing like how the inuits need clothing for freezing weather in the arctic(not clothing for fasion),no matter how numerous they are,so i'm upset that coyotes are shot as well,but I have no arugment for them because unfortuantely, one  isn't allowed to  use their personal ethics to get their point across to people without angry mobs blowing up in their face and saying they don't have facts to support their beliefs. That being said, I'm not going to try and convince anyone to agree with me,because I know how that will turn out,but I'll just personally state my beliefs for the heck of it. I have a strong respect for nature and animals and the mentality that animals were here first and that humans are the ones stealing animals' land, so we shouldn't get mad at them for being on our land because land doesn't belong to humans. It belongs to animals and nature which was here first. All we humans do is destroy and kill whether it be trees/plants, animals, or even in extreme cases, our own kind.Also,becuase I believe in God(I'm not trying to push my belief in God on anyone. I don't really care what other people do or don't believe in as long as they leave me alone about my beliefs. Live and let live.), I have to agree with someone who signed the petiton that made a comment about "Who are we to play God? Why do we have the right to decide what/who lives and what/who dies?"

Banner made by my friend Alex(who isn't a member here) and used with permission. Avatar is screenshot of Jacob in wolf form from Twilight movie.

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
Wolves arent indangered at all.  They're an apex predator. Their numbers have to be small.

I'd write a long description on why wolves dont need to be on the indangered species list.... but I've dont tha already 10 times or more on this fourm over the last couple years. I'll maybe dig back in my history and copy-paste something.

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*Sniff*

Why must we be so evil to kill animals when we already have enough food, shelter, and are not threatened.

Someday, someday we will look back at our mistakes and realize our cruelty to nature.

Yes predator populations are always low. The only problem is that we remove their habitats, shoot them for money or sport, and poison them with toxic waist that is mishandled by massive corporations. If I had my way, all animals that are not bread to be killed and eaten by man, would be banned from being hunted. Why, because they are not meant to be killed and eaten my man.

I would say it was OK for someone to kill lets say a squirrel, dear, or raccoon if they needed to in order to survive. Other than that I would like smoky to teach them all a lesson.
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Fenny the Fox

I'm sorry, but, not to open a whole new can of worms, but "all animals not bred to be killed and eaten by man"?

So, you do not support hunting, but you are supporting the meat industry. I can guarantee you this, the animals that are hunted and shot will almost always live a better, healthier happier life and suffer a much more humane and quicker death than those in captivity that are bred for it [the meat and other elements are best if one can quickly obtain the animal, meaning a quick kill is favored by far, and practiced for by hunters - but the meat industry...eh, you can do some research of that on your own]. Just take a look at factory farming and the meat industry.
[Note I am the reverse of advocating hunting for "sport" and never, ever will you see me endorse such maladaptive, rash, and pointless behavior - no offense meant to those that may do so, but this is how I feel]

As it is, "predators" and "prey" alike can do damage property, damage to other natural elements (deforestation due overpopulation, lowering of vital prey populations due the same, etc.), and they often do (thanks to human meddling with the order they once held to begin with) have to be kept in check population wise. Sad by-product of civilization. Whether it be trying to increase, maintain, or lessen the size of the population - depending on situation.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:56:31 am by Fenny the Fox »
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a